A Mexican chicken nacho casserole means everything you love about Mexican cooking combined in one casserole. With juicy chicken, a delicious dollop of sour cream, Mexican Herbs, and this is all topped with Nachos and melted cheese. This recipe is delicious on the weekend and easy enough to prepare during weekdays.
Tex Mex in your kitchen, deliciously filled with vegetables
Mexican Nachos with Chicken and Beans are always welcome on our table. For us parents because the filling has lots of vegetables, and the kids love it, because who doesn't want chips in their dinner?
And those crispy chips with their delicious spicy flavor give this casserole something extra. Topped with cheese, together with the creamy sour cream and delicious filling with green beans and spicy chicken in tomato sauce. It is an easy evening meal with rice and a delightful salad.
I already have several delicious variants on my blog, such as the Mexican nacho casserole with minced meat and salsa and the easy-to-make Mexican minced casserole. But a chicken nacho bake from this delicious kitchen still needed to be added. While I make that quite often. So we are going to change that today.
Also nice for Halloween
Adding tortillas as a topping lets you give the Nacho Casserole with Chicken, Beans, and Cheese a nice twist. You can, of course, cut them into traditional triangles or dress them up to suit the theme. For example, you cut out Easter eggs at Easter, and at Halloween, ghosts, skulls, or gravestones, as I have done here.
It's a fun way to make that special day even more special. And if you don't feel like adding unique decorations, you can leave them out.
What do you need for a Tex Mex Nacho Chicken Casserole?
To prepare this Chicken Nacho Casserole, you require the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
- Chicken breast filet: Slice the chicken breast in cubes and marinate for a delicious flavor.
- You can substitute the chicken with minced meat or vegetarian chicken cubes.
- Spices and herbs: add them to give the Mexican flavor to this dish. You can adjust these spices easily to your own taste.
- Green beans: Fresh green beans sliced into 1-inch pieces (2 cm).
- Or use green beans from the freezer.
- Don't use canned beans though, they already soft, and they become too soft quite easily.
- Tomato cubes: Even more veggies in this casserole. These will give a delicious sauce.
- You can use fresh tomatoes, but to be honest, they're only more delicious when in season (otherwise they can taste watery). You can also use peeled tomatoes, but because they're quite a bit larger, you have to cut them. Otherwise, they don't mix well with the sauce.
- Sour cream: Gives a delicious, creamy taste to this casserole. When it's baked in the oven, the sour cream will warm and mix through the tomato sauce.
- You can replace this with crème fraîche.
- Nacho chips and tortilla:The topping of this casserole. Use nacho chips or tortilla chips (which one you'll like more).
- I like to use cheese-flavored nacho chips, but that's a personal choice.
How to prepare a Nacho Chicken Bake
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog.
Put some oil in the pan and bake the onion for three minutes until it's translucent. Add the garlic and stir-fry for one minute.
Put the chicken cubes in the frying pan and bake until golden brown and done. It will take about five minutes. Then pour the tomato cubes into the pan and add the green beans. Stir-fry for four minutes.
Put the contents of the skillet in the casserole dish.
Spread the sour cream on top. Sprinkle some grated cheese on top. Bake in the oven at 430 °F for 20 minutes.
Add some Halloween Style
Spread the nacho chips and tortilla on top of the veggie chicken mixture.
Sprinkle some grated cheese on top. Bake in the oven at 430 °F (220 °C) for 20 minutes.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Chicken Nacho Casserole
Chicken Nacho Casserole
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion sliced finely
- 2 cloves garlic squeezed
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pound chicken breast Cut into 1 x 1-inch cubes (2 x 2 cm)
- 28 ounce diced tomatoes
- ½ pound green beans
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ pound tortilla chips
- 5 oz. grated cheese Gouda, Gruyère
- 2 tortilla wraps
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
Chicken Nacho Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 430 °F or 390 °F
- Add oil to a skillet and fry the onion about three minutes on low medium, until they're translucent.2 tablespoons oil, 1 onion
- Add the garlic and bake for another minute.2 cloves garlic
- Mix the spices and sprinkle them on the chicken.1 teaspoon paprika powder, 1 teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon chili powder, ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1 pound chicken breast
- Add the chicken to the skillet and fry until done and golden brown (about five minutes)
- Put the vegetables in the pan (tomatoes, green beans) and stir-fry for four minutes.28 ounce diced tomatoes, ½ pound green beans
- Put the contents of the pan in the casserole dish
- Spread the sour cream over the chicken vegetable mixture.½ cup sour cream
- Lay the nacho chips on top.½ pound tortilla chips
- Sprinkle with the grated cheese.5 oz. grated cheese
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Serve with rice and a nice salad.
- Slice the tortillas. Use a cutter or cut them into small triangles.2 tortilla wraps
- Place the tortilla chips on the nachos and sprinkle with the grated cheese. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Chicken breast: Besides the chicken, this casserole is also very delicious when prepared with ground beef. And if you want to go vegetarian, you can use tofu.
- Green beans: You can substitute the green beans with a white and black bean mixture. And corn is also a great replacement for green beans.
- Diced tomatoes: Use fresh tomatoes instead, but I recommend only doing that when they're in season (others they're most of the time too watery). Peeled tomatoes are a great replacement, but cut them before adding, otherwise they don't mix well with the sauce.
- Sour cream: You can opt for a light version if you want a skinny version of this casserole. Or you can substitute the cream with crème fraîche.
- Refrigerator: You can make this casserole in advance. Bake the chicken and veggies. Put in the casserole and let it cool down quickly. Store, covered with foil, in the refrigerator for up to two days. Add the nacho cheese, tortilla, and grated cheese topping just before serving.
- When this casserole is baked, you can't store it.
Indication Nutritional Value (Per Person / Portion):
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove