A Mexican casserole with chicken and nacho chips means everything you love about Mexican cooking combined in one casserole. With juicy chicken, a delicious dollop of sour cream, Mexican Herbs, and this is all topped with Nachos and melted cheese. This recipe is delicious on the weekend and easy enough to prepare during weekdays.
A Mexican nacho casserole is always welcome at our table. And I already have a number of delicious recipes on my blog, such as the Mexican nacho casserole with minced beef and salsa, and the easy-to-make Mexican minced beef casserole. But an oven dish with chicken from this wonderful kitchen wasn't yet on my blog. This was surprising, because I make this quite often. So we're going to change that today.
Deliciously filled with vegetables
And the filling consists of tomatoes and green beans in addition to the chicken. They're flavored with Mexican herbs. After they've been added to the oven dish, I spread a layer of sour cream on top. That layer will, when it gets warm, melt and mix with the filling. Then everything is topped with a layer of nacho chips and cheese on top. And that cheese will melt in the oven and gives a wonderful bite. Mmmm, I can't wait for dinner already.
Also nice for Halloween
This dish is versatile and when you choose to add some tortillas as a topping, you can give your casserole a nice twist. You can, of course, slice your tortillas in triangels, or you can cut them out according to your theme. For example, during Easter you cut out Easter eggs and at Halloween: ghosts, skulls or gravestones. As I've done here. A nice way to make this day even more special.
A full list of ingredients can be found at the bottom of this post in the recipe card.
- Chicken breast filet - Slice the chicken breast in cubes and marinate for a delicious flavor. You can substitute the chicken with minced meat or vegetarian chicken cubes.
- Spices and herbs - add them to give the Mexican flavor to this dish. You can adjust these spices easily to your own taste.
- Green beans - Fresh green beans sliced into 1-inch pieces (2 cm). Or use green beans from the freezer. Don't use canned beans though, they already soft and they become too soft quite easily.
- Tomato cubes - Even more veggies in this casserole. These will give a delicious sauce. You can use fresh tomatoes, but to be honest, they're only more delicious when in season (otherwise they can taste watery). You can also use peeled tomatoes, but because they're quite a bit larger, you have to cut them. Otherwise, they don't mix well with the sauce.
- Sour cream - Gives a delicious creamy taste to this casserole. When it's baked in the oven, the sour cream will warm and mix through the tomato sauce. You can replace this with crème fraîche.
- Nacho chips and tortilla - The topping of this casserole. Use nacho chips or tortilla chips (which one you'll like more). I like to use cheese-flavored nacho chips, but that's a personal choice.
A printable recipe can be found at the bottom of this blogpost.
Step 1 - Slicing and marinating
- Preheat the oven to 430 degrees Fahrenheit (220 degrees Celsius). Slice the chicken in 1 x 1-inch cubes (2 x 2 cm).
- Slice the onion and garlic finely. Cut the green beans into one-inch pieces (about 2 cm).
- Put the chicken in a bowl and flavor with salt, chili, and nutmeg.
- Cut the tortillas in triangles or, when you want to decorate in a theme, use a cookie-cutter.
Step 2 - Bake the herbs, spices, chicken and vegetables
- Put some oil in the pan and bake the onion for three minutes until it's translucent.
- Add the garlic and stir-fry for one minute.
- Put the chicken cubes in the frying pan and bake until golden brown and done. It will take about five minutes.
- Then pour the tomato cubes into the pan and add the green beans. Stir-fry for four minutes.
Step 3 - Put everything in the casserole
- Put the contents of the pan in the casserole dish.
- Spread the sour cream on top.
Step 4 - Top everything with nacho chips, tortilla and cheese
- Spread the nacho chips and tortilla on top of the veggie chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle some grated cheese on top. Bake the oven
🥘 Other delicious recipes
If you liked this Mexican chicken and nacho casserole, you might like these recipes:
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I love it when you make one of my recipes and I’m looking forward to seeing it. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. Don't forget to save my recipes on Pinterest so you can find them easily next time. See you soon!
Mexican casserole with chicken and nacho chips
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 pound chicken
- 1 teaspoon paprika ground
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg ground
- 2 tortillas
- 1 pound tomatoes diced dice
- ½ pound green beans
- ½ cup sour cream
- 5 oz. cheese Gouda, Gruyere
- ½ pound nacho chips
- Preheat the oven to 430 °F (220 °C)
- Chop the onion and garlic.
- Cut the chicken in 1 x 1-inch cubes (2 x 2 cm).
- Slice the tortillas. Use a cutter or cut them into small triangles.
- Mix the spices and spread them on the chicken.
Mexican chicken casserole
- Bake the onion in a little oil in a frying pan for about three minutes on low heat, until they're translucent.
- Add the garlic and bake for another minute.
- Add the chicken and fry until done and golden brown (about five minutes)
- Put the vegetables in the pan (tomatoes, green beans) and stir-fry for four minutes.
- Put the contents of the pan in the casserole dish
- Spread the sour cream over the chicken vegetable mixture.
- Lay the nacho chips and tortilla on top.
- Sprinkle with the grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Serve with rice and a nice salad.