Granola cake is just as delicious as your usual cake, just a bit healthier. Moist and airy, and the crumb is soft and tender. Prepared with granola, whole wheat flour, walnuts, and currants, a real treat. This recipe is quick and easy to prepare. I know you will enjoy this cake!
Granola Cake Recipe
I love to eat this cake with a cup of coffee or as a breakfast cake. It's delicious, and you've got a lot of varieties. Some are tasty but full of calories with a frosting and creamy filling. But, on the other hand, you've also got the sugar-free range, the healthy food cakes.
But this granola cake isn't sugar-free, but a bit healthier than the usual cake (at least the ones I bake). You use granola and whole wheat flour and add some walnuts and currants. This gives a moist and flavorful cake. A really rich cake, which is excellent as a snack on your coffee break.
And if you like baking cakes, you can find a lot of inspiration on my sweet baking page. Great recipes like my gingerbread cake with walnuts and currants, chocolate vanilla marble cake, and tangerine yogurt cake.
What do you need for this Crunchy Granola Pound Cake?
To prepare this granola cake recipe, you need the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
- Currants - The fruity cake filling.
- Walnuts - Provide a nutty flavor to the cake. You can also replace the walnuts with almonds or pecans. If you have a nut allergy, omit the walnuts. You don't have to change anything in the recipe.
- Butter - Use unsalted butter.
- Sugar - To sweeten the breakfast cake.
- Salt - Balances the flavor in the cakes.
- Eggs - Provide a full flavor to the Granola cake and bind the batter.
- Whole wheat flour - Unlike wheat flour, whole wheat flour contains all parts of the grain. And therefore, it has more fiber.
- Granola - a breakfast food that consists mainly of rolled oats, nuts, a sweetener, and some additions. If you want to use homemade granola, this chocolate granola is delicious!
How to prepare Walnut & Currant Granola Cake
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog.
- Add butter and sugar in a bowl and mix for 3 minutes on high speed. Add the salt and the eggs, one at a time, until the previous is incorporated. Turn the mixer to low and add the flour. Stop mixing when the flout is included in the batter.
- Add the granola to the batter and mix with a spatula.
- Also, mix the currants into the batter.
- Pour the batter into a buttered tin and bake for an hour at 350 °F (180 °C). Let the cake cool further on a rack.
Tips and Variations
- Cooling - Let the granola cake stand for five minutes after baking before removing it from the pan. This causes the cake to shrink slightly, making it easier to take it out of the baking tin.
- Doneness - You check whether a cake is cooked by inserting a skewer into the thickest part (often the middle). If it comes out dry, the cake is done.
- Currants - Let them soak for 15 minutes in hot water, so they won't burn when baked.
Walnuts - Toast them lightly for even more flavor.
- Variations - You could add some chopped apples (¼ cup) or Chocolate chips (¼ cup) to the batter for even more flavor. Or do both ;-).
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Granola Cake Recipe
- 1¾ stick butter room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs size L
- 1¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup granola
- ½ cup currants soaked for at least 15 minutes in hot water
- ½ cup walnuts roasted for 3 minutes on low heat
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F or 320 °F.
- Butter a cake tin and add some flour. Tap that around, so the whole tin is covered, and tap out the excess afterward.
- Add butter and sugar in a bowl and mix with the mixer for about 3 minutes until the mixture is airy.1¾ stick butter, 1 cup sugar
- Add the salt and the eggs, one by one, while you still mix. Add the next egg when the previous one is fully incorporated into the batter.⅛ teaspoon salt, 4 eggs
- Put the mixer speed on low and add the flour. Stop mixing when the flour is incorporated into the batter.1¼ cup whole wheat flour
- Add the granola, walnuts and currants and swirl with a spatula through the batter.½ cup granola, ½ cup currants, ½ cup walnuts
- Pour the batter into the tin and bake for an hour until it's done.
- Let it cool down for 5 minutes, then release the cake from the tin.
- Let the cake further cool down on a rack.
- Room Temperature - Wrap your breakfast cake in aluminum foil and store it at room temperature. That way, it stays good for a week.
- Refrigerator - You can't keep this sweet treat in the fridge because of the moisture; the structure will change.
- Freezer - You can freeze the granola cake. Wrap it in foil and then in a freezer bag or container. This way, it stays good for three months. TIP, cut the cake into slices, so you can thaw the cake per portion. Thaw the cake at room temperature.
Leave a Reply