Grilled flat iron steak with green herbs marinade - This is exactly the recipe for turning a budget-friendly piece of meat into something very delicious. Nicely grilled butler steak with a delicious green herb marinade. It has a deep brown crust, a nice rosé inside is wonderfully juicy, and has a lot of taste!
A great cut of beef
Did you know that flat iron steaks eg, butler steaks, are lean beef steaks that are cut from the thick parts of the beef shoulder? In terms of taste, it comes close to steak and, like that tasty piece of meat, it has a short cooking time. You eat the steak cooked or rosé.
By grilling the steaks briefly and marinating them with a delicious garlic green herb marinade, you can make something very special with a lot of taste!
Butler steak (Flat Iron) vs. Beef tenderloin
Flat Iron, Sirloin or Butler steaks are thinly sliced beef shoulder pieces. The steak comes from the buttock, loin, or muscle.
The big difference between these steaks and beef tenderloin is that the former are less tender. But that makes them more flavorful. And the price of a steak is also a bit lower.
A few similarities then. A steak and tenderloin are both suitable for grilling, raclette, or baking. And you can eat them both rosé.
The preparation time of the steak is slightly longer at 6 to 10 minutes compared to the tenderloin. The latter is baked for 3 to 4 minutes.
What do you need for flat iron steak marinade?
The following ingredients are used to prepare the grilled Butler Steak with green herbs marinade:
- Butler Steaks / Flat Iron Steaks: A tender piece of meat from beef shoulder. Take the meat 15 minutes before grilling out of the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature. That way, it will bake more evenly.
- Green herbs, garlic, pepper: You use this for making a herbal marinade. Of course you can also choose other herbs. Think of rosemary, sage or oregano.
- Olive oil: Use extra virgin olive oil. This gives extra flavor to the steaks.
How do you prepare Flat Iron steaks on the grill?
A recipe with extensive steps, the right amount of ingredients, and which you can also easily print can be found at the bottom of the blog.
This is a very easy recipe with only four simple steps. Prepare the marinade and flavor the meat. Grill briefly and serve with some reserved marinate!
- Make the green herb garlic marinade. Divide between two bowls.
- Marinate the steaks by coating them well with the first bowl of green herbs marinade mixture. Allow to flavor for at least 30 minutes.
- Grill the steaks on one side for 6 minutes.
- Turn the meat and bake the other side for another 6 minutes. Remove from the pan and wrap in aluminum foil to allow the meat to rest(it will become more tender). Then brush with the reserved herb marinade and serve!
- Can you use other meat? This recipe is prepared with Butler (Flat Iron) steaks, but you can also replace these with beef tenderloin. The grilling time will then be 2 minutes on both sides.
- Which herbs are perfect for the marinade? This recipe uses Basil, thyme, and parsley. Of course, you can also choose other herbs. Vary with rosemary, sage, or oregano.
- From the frying pan (with a nice gravy) You can also fry this meat in the frying pan. Use a butter/oil mixture, about 2 tablespoons. Let the butter melt on medium heat, sear the meat quickly and then braise for 10 minutes. When you take the meat out, let it rest in aluminum foil. In the meanwhile, you make a nice gravy: add ¼ cup (50 ml) of water to the cooking liquid and increase the heat. Scrape off all the baked goods with a wooden spatula. Add 2 tablespoons of flour to the pan and make sure there are no lumps. Now pour 1 cup (250 ml) of stock into the pan and stir until you have a tasteful gravy. Let this come to a boil. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Expert Grill Tip: Remove the meat from the refrigerator 15 minutes before grilling. This way it is grilled more evenly.
A flat iron steak, or a butler steak, is thinly sliced meat from the beef shoulder. It is lean meat, similar in taste to the steak. The preparation time is slightly longer and the steak is slightly less tender. Does a baking sheet/steak have to be done?
Yes, you can eat this meat both fully done and rosé.
- On the grill for 12 minutes (6 minutes on each side).
- In the frying pan, quickly sear the meat on all sides and bake for 10 minutes.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Watch How to Make It
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Grilled Flat Steak with Green Herbs Marinade
- 10 twigs fresh basil only the leaves
- 10 twigs fresh thyme only the leaves
- 10 twigs Fresh Parsley only the leaves
- 1 clove garlic peeled and squeezed
- ¼ cup olive oil extra veirge
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1¼ pound flat iron steaks or butler steaks, 4 steaks
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Finely chop the basil, thyme, and parsley and place them in a bowl.10 twigs fresh basil, 10 twigs fresh thyme, 10 twigs Fresh Parsley
- Season with garlic and pepper and add the olive oil.1 clove garlic, ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper, ¼ cup olive oil
- Mix well and divide between two bowls.
- Pat the steaks dry and spread the marinade from the first bowl on the steaks. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.1¼ pound flat iron steaks
- Remove the meat from the refrigerator 15 minutes before grilling.
- Heat the grill (pan) until it is very hot.
- Place the steaks on the grill and cook for 6 minutes. Turn and bake for another 6 minutes.
- Remove the meat from the grill and wrap it in aluminum foil. Let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with some sea salt and serve with the second bowl of green herbs.¼ teaspoon sea salt
- You can make the marinade up to a day in advance and keep it covered in the refrigerator. The olive oil keeps the herbs nice and green.
- Refrigerator: Make sure that the meat cools quickly back to room temperature. You can keep it in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Freezer: Make sure that the meat cools quickly back to room temperature. Once prepared, and stored in a freezer bag or box, the steaks can be stored in the freezer for up to 2 months. Let them thaw in the refrigerator.
- Reheating after storage in the fridge or freezer: Allow the meat to come to room temperature (out of the fridge for 15 minutes) before reheating. Then bake it in the oven at 175 °F (80 °C) for 12 minutes.
The nutritional values shown are per piece of meat including the herb dressing.
Indication Nutritional Value (Per Person / Portion):
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (75 °C) for a medium steak.
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds.