Homemade vegetable stock is a delicious recipe used as a basis for lots of dishes. Soup (of course), hotchpot or mashed potatoes.
Do you know what's great about homemade vegetable stock?
a) delicious with a lot of taste;
b) you know exactly the ingredients (a pure recipe);
c) ideal to use left over (cheap recipe);
e) it doesn't take long to make a batch.
And that's exactly the description of homemade vegetable stock. When the stock simmers all the vegetable flavors go directly into the stock. There are no hidden ingredients. If you don't eat the carrot ends or the cauliflower stump you can use everything. And it only takes a 30 minute simmer to prepare the stock. That isn't that long is it?
Vegetable stock is delicious as a basis for lots of dishes. Soup (of course), hotchpot or mashed potatoes (to make it creamy) and nice to cook your potatoes or veggies in stock instead of water for extra taste.
- If you want a salty taste, just like the ones you get in the supermarket add 1 teaspoon of salt per 500 mL water (but less is healthier).
- When you make a lot of stocks buy biological herb plants. In the end that will be much cheaper.
- If you don't use your stock immediately or full don't add the salt yet. When heating it again, it will reduce a bit and the salt taste can be to much (but if it happens, simply add some water)
- Beneath a basic recipe, but vary with vegetables to get different taste. You can also use broccoli or cauliflower.
- Add noodles and some fresh herbs when done and you get a delicious soup.
- Fresh herbs like lovage and celery.
- After preparing cool the stock down to room temperature really fast. Afterwards you can store it 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- You can perfectly freeze a stock, it will lest for 2 months
It's a good taste!
Recipe homemade vegetable
Did you make this homemade vegetable stock? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram or twitter . I love it when you make one of my recipes and I’m looking forward to look it up. You can also share your recipes on my Facebook channel or pin this recipe on Pinterestso you can find it easy next time. See you soon!
Homemade vegetable stock
This recipe is:
- Soup pan
- 1 carrot
- 1 leek
- 2 sticks celery
- leftover vegetables
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 5 peppercorns
- 2 twigs thyme
- 3 twigs parsley
- 1 bay leave
- Peel the carrot and slice in three pieces.
- Rinse the leek and slice it in half. Wash the celery sticks and break in two pieces.
- Quarter the onion and peel the garlic.
- Fill the soup pan with 4 liters cold water and add every ingredient.
- Bring to a boil and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
- Put a sieve above a big bowl and pour the stock into the sieve.
- At salt and pepper to taste.
What did I use to prepare this
Kitchen utensils I’ve used to prepare this recipe. When you follow the link you will go to another page with a short explanation of each item. It’s also possible to order directly if you’re in need.