A classic recipe: an easy-to-make Halloween pumpkin soup. Tasty, gluten-free, and full of spices. Delicious, thick, creamy, and full of flavor. This is the soup recipe you want to prepare this Halloween! And each cup of soup is served in its own pumpkin for even more joy.
A delicious fall recipe
Today a delicious recipe for Halloween soup. That's full of spices. And a pumpkin soup is a typical autumn dish. The veggie itself has a bit of a sweet taste and with the right spices, it is also a very warming soup, great when it's cold outside.
I scraped the flesh with a spoon from the small pumpkins and gave the outside a creepy face with a marker. Then the soup was served at the table in the pumpkin. Surprising and very nice to see the faces of our guests. And the soup? It was gone within minutes.
A Halloween pumpkin soup, spiced up for even more flavor!
A full list of ingredients can be found at the end of this blog.
- Pumpkin - Prepare this recipe with those small orange pumpkins. They've got a soft flavor and you can crave them well.
- Butter - Gives the soup a creamy flavor.
- Garlic and shallot - These give a bit of a spicy flavor.
- Coriander, cumin, curry powder, and ginger - Spices that will give this soup a warming touch.
- Vegetable stock - This vegetable stock will give a deep flavor to this soup. Don't omit it!
Step 1 Hollow the pumpkin
- Cut the cap off the pumpkin with a sharp knife.
- Remove the seeds with a spoon. Then cut the flesh with a sharp knife. And use a spoon to scrape the pumpkin flesh on the bottom.
Step 2 - Slice the pumpkin finely. By cutting the veggie into small pieces, the Halloween pumpkin soup will be done in just 20 minutes.
Step 3 - Cook the soup and flavor it
- Slice the shallot finely and cut the garlic into small pieces.
- Melt butter into the pan and add the shallot. Bake for three minutes on medium heat. Then add the garlic and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add coriander, cumin, curry powder, and ginger to the pot and stir-fry for three minutes. By baking the spices they will get more flavor.
- Add the pumpkin and pour the stock into the pan. Bring to the boil and turn the heat low. Let it simmer for 20 minutes. Puree with an immersion blender until you've got a smooth soup.
Step 4 - Put the soup into the bowls. Take the hollowed pumpkins and pour the soup into them. Serve immediately.
How to thicken soup?
If you want to serve a thick pumpkin soup, don't add too much stock, to begin with. But make sure you've some extra vegetable stock aside if you want to thin it afterward.
You can thicken the soup by mixing two tablespoons of corn starch with half a cup of stock. Mix it well and pour it into the soup pan. Let everything simmer for a few minutes, until it's thickened.
🥘 Other delicious recipes
Do you like the idea of Halloween pumpkin soup? Then maybe you also like these ideas!
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I really enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Spicy pumpkin soup Halloween style
Pas met de knoppen het aantal personen aan.
- 4 pumpkins small
- 2 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 2 shallots
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon coriander ground
- 1 teaspoon cumin ground
- 2 teaspoons curry, ground
- 1 teaspoon ginger ground
- 1 liter vegetable broth + possibly some extra to dilute
- Slice the cap of the pumpkins.
- Scrape with a spoon the seeds out (tip: roast the seeds for a snack)
- Then scrape the flesh from the pumpkins and put this in a bowl. Set aside.
- Peel the onion and garlic and slice them finely.
- Put the butter in the pan and fry the shallot for about three minutes, then add the garlic and stir fry for another 30 seconds.
- Stir the coriander, cumin, curry powder, and ginger with the onion mixture and bake for three minutes.
- Add the pumpkin to the pan and pour as much stock into the pan so everything is just covered.
- Bring the soup to a boil and turn the heat to low.
- Let everything simmer for 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender and, if necessary, dilute with the stock to the desired thickness.
- Heat it again until it's almost to the boil and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the soup in the hollowed pumpkins.
- This soup can be stored for up to two days in the refrigerator.
- You can freeze this in an airtight container for up to two months.