Salted caramel chocolate truffles are creamy, slightly salted, with delicious caramel and dark chocolate taste, rolled in a delicious layer of cocoa for an extra chocolate bite. With every bite, all the flavors combine, and the truffle slowly melts in your mouth. So good! TIP (and completely optional): Dressed with Oreo wings and sugar eyes, they become real Halloween bats.
Salted Caramel Chocolate Truffles
These truffles are the perfect end to any dinner party. The creamy taste, chocolate, and caramel all in one bite. Serve them with a cup of coffee or tea, and make sure you make enough because they won't stay on the plate for long.
And you can always serve the Truffles, but with some decoration, they are super fun for Halloween. Or to hand out to children who come door-to-door. Because, of course, they are wholly themed, delicious, and super easy to make.
You need to take some time to let them cool properly; otherwise, they will remain soft and sticky. And after making them, keep these truffles in the fridge. Then they will stay good for a few days.
Salted caramel and chocolate
Not only have the well-known chocolate brands discovered the combination of salted caramel and chocolate, but I also love it (but anyway, I love chocolate and caramel separately, so a combination must be great).
To keep it nice and simple, I started this recipe with caramel (dulce the leche) that you buy in the store and spread on your sandwich. Then you melt it with the butter in a saucepan and mix it with the chocolate and salt. After good cooling, make small balls that you roll through pure cocoa for an extra chocolate bite. All in all, 20 minutes of work, and you're done.
Why do we call these chocolate truffles?
The name truffles is because they resemble truffle mushrooms. These also have a round shape and a light interior covered with a dark brown layer. You can imagine that comparison is then made quite quickly.
When calling a chocolate truffle?
You call this chocolate truffle when you encase a ganache filling with cocoa, a chopped nut layer, or grated coconut. Although we often know the truffle as a round shape, you can also encounter it as a cone or a half circle.
Many variations are possible with the ganache filling, like this recipe, where the filling is mixed with caramel and sea salt. But also think of these delicious coconut truffles with a Ganache Malibu filling or truffles with a delicious orange filling.
How long can you store these homemade chocolates?
Always keep truffles in the refrigerator. They quickly become soft and sticky outside the fridge. You can keep them for another three days after making them. You can also package them airtight and freeze them. This way, they will last up to 3 months.
What do you need for Salted Caramel Chocolate Balls?
To prepare these Salted Caramel Truffles, you need the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
- Caramel - If you want to make it easy on yourself, you can buy a jar of caramel paste or ready-made Dulce de Leche. But you can easily make this caramel paste yourself (recipe for dulce de leche in 6 ways). TIP - When you make dulce de leche yourself, make it a day in advance and let it cool down to room temperature.
- Butter - Makes the chocolate truffles creamier. Use unsalted butter.
- Sea salt - If you have it at home, Fleur de Sel is the best. That is slightly less salty and releases its flavor more slowly than other sea salt types. But coarse sea salt is also possible.
- Chocolate - Use dark chocolate with more than 70% cocoa for these truffles. This way, you get a full chocolate taste.
- Cocoa - To cover the truffle on the outside. It gives an extra chocolate boost. Use unsweetened cocoa.
- Sugar eyes - Edible; you can get it at (online) cooking stores. Optional, you only need this if you are making the Halloween decoration.
- Oreo cookies - Optional. Only needed when you make the Salted Caramel Chocolate Truffles in Halloween style. The original Oreo cookies are used here.
How to prepare Halloween Chocolate Truffles
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog.
- Heat the caramel and butter in a saucepan until the butter has melted. Mix everything well and heat further until it is hot. Add the chocolate and sea salt to the caramel butter sauce.
- Stir well until the chocolate has melted, and you get a smooth sauce. Add the chocolate and sea salt to the caramel butter sauce and stir well until the chocolate has melted, and you get a smooth sauce. Spread it in a thin layer on a plate and pull a plastic foil over it. Let it set in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- After setting, scrape together some ganache with a teaspoon. Roll it between your palms into a ball. Then roll it through the cocoa and place it on a plate. Repeat until all the ganache has been used up.
- Cut the Oreo cookies in half with a sharp knife. Place a chocolate truffle in front of you and press the two eyes into the truffle. Then you can stick the Oreo cookies at the top of the truffle.
Halloween Style decoration: Cut the Oreo cookies in half with a sharp knife. Place a chocolate truffle in front of you and press the two eyes into the truffle. You can then insert the Oreo cookies into the truffle at the top.
Salted Caramel Truffles
Use the buttons to adjust the number of people.
Caramel seasalt chocolate truffles
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons Dutch unprocessed cocoa
Halloween dress up
- 20 Oreo cookies
Caramel sea salt chocolate truffles
- Put the caramel with the butter in a saucepan and heat until it is hot.¾ cups caramel paste, 3 tablespoons butter
- Put the chocolate pieces and the salt in a bowl and pour the caramel syrup over it.½ teaspoon Fleur de Sel
- Stir well until the chocolate has melted.1⅓ cups dark chocolate
- Spread over a plate and cover with plastic foil.
- Allow setting in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Scoop some chocolate filling with a teaspoon and roll a ball between your hands.
- Roll that through the cocoa.3 tablespoons Dutch unprocessed cocoa
Halloween dress up
- Take a truffle and push two candy eyes in the chocolate. On the top, stick two half Oreo cookies to look like wings.40 candy eyes, 20 Oreo cookies
- Refrigeration: Always keep truffles in the refrigerator. Outside of the refrigeration, they quickly become soft and sticky. You can keep them for three days after making them.
- Freezer - Pack the salted caramel chocolate truffles airtight and freeze. They will stay suitable for up to 3 months.