Making your own ginger chews with this recipe is so simple and really delicious. I like the pure taste of the ginger and the soft texture. And with only THREE ingredients, you can easily make these delicious crystal ginger candies yourself.
Do you know ginger chews? They taste sweet and a little spicy. You can often find them on the shelf at the Asian supermarket. You have the toffee-like variety and these delicious crystal ginger candies. And you can make them yourself very easily. A little time and THREE ingredients and you have a delicious stock that lasts a long time.
Now, these candies are said to help with nausea and sore throat. But I also really like the flavor.
Making ginger chews is very simple with this easy recipe with only THREE ingredients.
And you can use this candy for more recipes!
You can, of course, eat this delicacy straight away. They are wonderful to suck on and they feel soothing to your throat.
But you can also cut them into even smaller pieces and use them for ginger ice cream, cookies with ginger and dark chocolate, and/or as a filling in a (cup)cake. Or add them to a cup of tea for even more flavor.
But of course you can also store them in an airtight container.
- Ginger - Try to buy the ginger as fresh and as young as possible. Because that way they've got less fiber and that is tastier. The Asian supermarkets often have young fresh ginger. Peel the ginger or scrape the skin off with the side of a spoon.
- Sugar - Use fine granulated sugar, not too coarse. That's the best.
- Cornstarch - A little bit of cornstarch will keep the candies from sticking together.
Step 1 - Prepare the ginger cubes
- Peel the ginger. If you have very young ginger, you can also scrape the skin off with the side of a spoon. Then cut the ginger into square cubes of approximately ½ x ½ inch (1 x 1 cm).
- Put the ginger cubes in a pan and fill it with enough water (about 2 inches (5 cm) above the ginger cubes). Bring it to a boil and let it simmer on low heat for 2 hours. Check in between whether there is enough water available so that the blocks remain submerged. Otherwise, add some extra water.
Step 2 - Take the ginger cubes out of the pan
Remove the ginger cubes from the pan with a slotted spoon. Save the cooking liquid, we will still need it to sweeten the cubes.
Step 3 - Prepare the sugar syrup
- Weigh the ginger cubes and return them to the pan. Add the same weight/volume of sugar.
- For every ½ cup (100 grams) of sugar, add 3 tablespoons of cooking liquid (which you saved in the previous step). Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. The syrup is now slightly thickened.
Step 4 - Coat the ginger
- Remove the ginger from the pan and let it dry slightly (about five minutes).
- Then put them into a bag and add the cornstarch.
- Close the bag and shake it well a few times.
- Place the ginger on a rack and let it dry, for at least two hours.
- Vanilla - Make vanilla-flavored ginger candies. Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract to the sugar water (step 3).
- This chef's knife is my mainstay for many recipes. You can cut almost anything with it, it fits well in the hand and stays sharp.
- This pot is large enough for cooking the ginger. And the lid keeps the moisture in the pan. The great thing about this pan is that it is easy to clean and can also be used in the oven.
- A fine cake cooling rack on which you can let the ginger dry. Indispensable for me in my kitchen. In addition to drying, I also cool my cookies, cakes, and bread on this. It has a non-stick coating and is dishwasher safe.
- Store the crystal ginger chews in an airtight container at room temperature. This way they stay good for up to two weeks.
Other Delicious Recipes
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Pas met de knoppen het aantal personen aan.
- 10 oz. ginger as fresh as possible
- 1 cup sugar approximately, will be weighed exactly later
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Peel the ginger and cut it into small cubes.
- Place the ginger in a pan and fill with water until the ginger is 2 inches (5 cm) below the surface.10 oz. ginger
- Bring to a boil and lower the heat. Let it simmer for 2 hours. The ginger is now soft. Check-in between whether the water level is sufficiently high. Otherwise, add additional water.
- Remove the ginger from the water with a slotted spoon. Collect the cooking liquid.
- Measure the ginger cubes and place in a clean saucepan. Add the same volume/weight of sugar.1 cup sugar
- Add 3 tablespoons of cooking liquid per ½ cup (100 grams) of sugar.
- Bring to a boil over low heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove the ginger from the pan with a slotted spoon and let it dry for 5 minutes.
- Place the ginger pieces in a plastic bag and add the cornstarch. Shake everything well and remove the ginger cubes from the bag and place them on a grid. Let dry for at least 2 hours.2 tablespoons cornstarch
The nutritional value is shown per candy cube.