It's almost Halloween and these creepy witch fingers breadsticks are delicious to eat. Just FIVE ingredients and very easy to make. And besides having a creepy look, they are delicious. Truly a must!
Halloween, if you look it up it is actually the evening of All Saints. This evening, the dead would rise is the belief. In some countries, it is customary to lay down some food for the door while in other countries, people dress up and go door to door for candy.
A few years ago Halloween was very unknown in the Netherlands, but it seems that Halloween is emerging around here.
These witch fingers breadsticks are creepy yet delicious! And with only 5 ingredients SUPER easy to prepare! Do you dare to eat them?
This week, therefore, is a Halloween week, just to start with strange combinations right away. These are the strangest combinations that I've ever heard (or have encountered on the Internet).
Top 5 bizar food
- Highlighting on place number one: herring with jam. Whoever invented that, ...
- Bananas with mayonnaise sandwich. So no yummy combination.
- Stir-fry egg with maple syrup (this smacks of a sugar addiction)
- Banana Ketchup (I know people who love this, but I can not get used to)
- Peanut butter and jelly. Really for me, not a combination, but I know people in my area who swear by eating it (really dad ???)
A full list of ingredients can be found at the end of this blog.
- Yeast - This recipe uses ¾ teaspoon (3 grams) of instant yeast. If you prefer to use fresh yeast, you need 1 ½ teaspoon (6 grams). If you use dry yeast, you also need ¾ teaspoon (3 grams). Note: with both fresh yeast and dry yeast you must first dissolve the yeast in lukewarm water.
- Almonds - For the best effect use almonds that aren't peeled.
- Water - Make sure you use lukewarm water. Otherwise the rise of the dough will take much longer to start. The ideal temperature for yeast to start working is 99 °F (37 °C).
- Salt - For the flavor, of course. But make sure when making a dough to keep it away from yeast. Concentrated amounts of salt will kill the yeast and it won't work. That's why it's best to add it after mixing everything else.
You can find a recipe that you can easily print at the bottom of this blog.
Step 1 - Make the bread dough
- Put the flour in a bowl and add the yeast.
- Pour the water on top and start kneading for about 5 minutes.
- Then sprinkle salt on top and knead for another 10 minutes.
- Oil a large bowl. Make a ball of the dough and put in the bowl. Turn around once.
Step 2 - Rise the dough
- Cover the bowl with plastic foil and put it in a warm place for about one hour.
- The dough should be doubled in size.
Step 3 - Divide your dough
- Divide your bread in 10 pieces.
- Roll each bread into strengs of 4 inches (10 cm).
Step 4 - Form the witch fingers
- Halfway through each roll turn the dough around. This way it will look like a knuckle.
- Press an almond on the top of the dough, so it will look like a finger nail. Bake the breadsticks 20 minutes in a preheated oven (430 °F / 220 °C).
- Add 3 drops of food coloring to the dough and you'll get green witch fingers.
- Serve with a bowl of salsa saus. Dip the bottom of each finger in the taco sauce so it seems more bloody.
- Carve with a knife wrinkles in your fingers.
My favorite kitchen utensils
Thank you for reading this blog. I hope you found it helpful to make this recipe. Here are some tools that I used to prepare this. These are affiliate links, so if you decide to use any of them, I’ll earn a commission.
But, that being said, these are the tools that I use and that I recommend to everyone (even my own family).
- You could knead by hand or use a hand mixer to knead the dough. This mixer has got enough power for kneading dough. And it has special dough hooks so you can knead the dough until it's soft and elastic.
- I always use glass bowls for preparing dough, because you can see how much your dough has doubled in size and you can go further with your recipe.
- I've always got some plastic foil on hand. When covering the bowl with foil the warmth stays inside and the dough won't dry.
- Room temperature - store up to one day in a paper bag.
- Don't store bread in the refrigerator. Because of the humidity, the structure will change, and it doesn't taste great anymore.
- Freezer - Freeze them immediately after cooling down to room temperature and thaw just before use at room temperature. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- I give you a recipe for making white bread dough, but it is also delicious with whole wheat flour. Just replace it with the same amount.
- Instead of water add cooking water you used to boil. your spinach in (yummy green) for green fingers.
- The fingers are really great to serve with soup.
🥘 Other delicious recipes
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I really enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Witch Fingers breadsticks
Pas met de knoppen het aantal personen aan.
- ½ cup water
- ¾ teaspoon yeast instant
- 1½ cup flour
- ⅔ teaspoon salt
- 10 almonds
- Mix the flour with the yeast and water and knead well for about 5 minutes.½ cup water, 1½ cup flour, ¾ teaspoon yeast
- Sprinkle the salt on the dough and knead further until the dough is smooth and elastic (knead about 10 minutes).⅔ teaspoon salt
- Put the dough in a greased bowl and cover first with a slightly moist tea towel and afterward with plastic wrap.
- Put the bowl in a warm place for about 1 hour so that the dough can rise.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and push out the air.
- Divide into 10 balls and roll each ball until it's a roll of about 4 inches (10 cm).
- Halfway through the roll turn the dough around (so you get the form of a knuckle).
- Place on the baking sheet and let rise for another 45 minutes under a slightly moist tea towel and then plastic foil.
- In the meanwhile, preheat the oven to 430 °F (220 °C).
- Press an almond on top of the dough (finger nail) and bake the fingers for 20 minutes in the oven, or until golden brown.10 almonds
- Room temperature: store up to one day in a paper bag.
- Don't store bread in the refrigerator. Because of the humidity, the structure will change.
- Freezer. Freeze them immediately after cooling down to room temperature and thaw just before use. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 1 month.