Halloween Chocolate Mousse is a light mousse topped with dark chocolate sprinkles and a rose. A full creamy chocolate flavor and is easy to make. So delicious that it's a shame only to eat this dessert for Halloween.
Easy Chocolate Mousse for Halloween
Always a good thing, I hear you think. Because chocolate mousse is also one of my favorite desserts, and you can make something fun for Halloween with it. Certainly! It's a shame only to eat this recipe for Halloween.
But without the golden rose and hot black candle, this breezy Halloween Chocolate Mousse becomes an everyday dessert. And I can recommend that!
What's the difference between mousse and pudding?
Pudding is made by boiling milk with sugar and adding seasonings like chocolate. Next, you thicken the pudding with cornstarch and then let the pudding cool down.
Mousse is made by beating egg whites or whipped cream with sugar so that they become airy. You fold this carefully through your seasoning, such as melted chocolate. Because you mix it gently, you get a light dessert.
Is it safe to eat mousse?
This mousse contains raw eggs (egg whites). Usually, this is safe, but there is always a slight chance of salmonella contamination. Therefore, you should not serve this mousse to people with weak resistance (the elderly and children under four years) or pregnant women.
A mousse without raw eggs is the recipe for chocolate mousse with cream.
What do you need for Halloween Chocolate Mousse?
To prepare this easy chocolate mousse for Halloween, you need the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
- Chocolate - Buy chocolate with a cocoa content of at least 50%. The more cocoa, the more chocolate flavor. Use good chocolate, as this choice will determine the taste of this dessert.
- Butter - Makes the chocolate mousse even creamier.
- Cream - You ensure the mousse becomes airy by whipping the cream until stiff.
- Confectioner's sugar and sugar - To sweeten the chocolate mousse.
- Salt - You add salt to a sweet dish to make the taste richer and sweeter.
- Egg white - You get a light chocolate mousse by beating the egg white until stiff. Please note that egg white is raw egg and can therefore contain Salmonella. If you want to make this dessert for small children, the elderly in poor health, or pregnant women, I advise you to make a mousse without raw eggs, such as this delicious chocolate mousse with whipped cream.
- Vanilla Extract - Gives the milk chocolate mousse a delicious hint of vanilla flavor. You can replace this with the pith of half a vanilla pod or two teaspoons of vanilla sugar.
- Chocolate sprinkles or chunks - You can find them with the toppings in the supermarket or online.
- Golden Marzipan rose - You can get the roses at baking shops or online.
How to prepare Creepy Chocolate Mousse Cups
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog.
- Put the chocolate and butter in a fireproof bowl and melt the ingredients au bain-Marie (if you want to know how au bain-Marie works, look at the tips section).
- Beat the egg whites with the sugar until it's stiff. In a second bowl, whisk the cream with confectioners sugar and vanilla extract until it's stiff. Mix the chocolate with the cream.
- Gently combine ⅓ of the egg whites through this mixture, so the chocolate, cream, and egg whites can get used to each other. Then add the remaining egg whites and fold them gently through the mixture.
- Put the chocolate mousse in the glasses and let it stiffen in the refrigerator; just before serving, sprinkle the chocolate chunks on top and garnish with Marzipan flowers.
- Au bain-marie is a popular method when melting chocolate. Using this method, the chocolate won't burn and melts very gradually. Take a pan, fill it with a layer of water (about 1 inch (2 cm)), and bring it to a boil. Lower the heat. Use a fireproof bowl that fits on the pan and that you can hang in it without the bottom touching the water. Add the chocolate and butter to the bowl. Mix occasionally with a spatula so that it melts well.
- You can only beat egg white stiff with fat-free tools. Before using, wash the bowl and whisk hooks with hot water and dishwasher liquid. Then let it cool to room temperature. Beat the egg whites until they are so stiff that you can hold the bowl upside down, and the egg white won't fall out.
- When you have a recipe where you will mix egg whites, you do it the following way. First, add ⅓ of the egg white to your bowl and gently whisk it through the mixture using a spatula, making eight shapes. This way, your mousse gets used to the fluffiness of the egg white. When the egg white is well mixed, add the rest and mix it gently through your mousse. This makes your mousse airy.
- You use two egg whites in this recipe, but not the yolks. So what can you do with that? You can make a delicious crème brûlée with them, like this Limoncello crème brûlée, you can use them in a delightful spaghetti carbonara, or bake a chicken pot pie muffin casserole.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Easy Chocolate Mousse for Halloween
Use the buttons to adjust the number of people.
Fluffy chocolate mousse
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 egg whites size L
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¾ cups cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
Fluffy chocolate mousse
- Put a layer of water in a pan and hang a heatproof bowl over the water. Bring the water to a boil (au bain-Marie).
- Put the chocolate and butter in the bowl and let it melt slowly. Stir occasionally.1 cup dark chocolate, 2 tablespoons butter
- Remove the bowl from the pan.
- Put the egg whites in the clean bowl and start mixing until they become airy.2 egg whites
- Then add the two tablespoons of sugar and mix until the egg whites are stiff.2 tablespoons sugar
- In a third bowl, pour the cream and add confectioners sugar, vanilla extract, and salt.¾ cups cream, 1 tablespoon confectioners sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Mix the cream with a mixer until it is stiff.
- Mix the chocolate through the whipped cream with a spatula.
- Add ⅓ of the egg white mixture into the chocolate mixture with a spatula. That's how both get used to each other.
- Then carefully stir in the rest of the egg white mixture.
- Put the chocolate mousse in the glasses.
- Let it cool for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Cover the chocolate with chocolate chunks.8 tablespoons chocolate chunks
- Place a rose (Marzipan) on top.4 flowers
- You get a light chocolate mousse by beating the egg white until stiff. Please note that egg white is raw egg and can therefore contain Salmonella. If small children, the elderly in poor health, or pregnant women eat with it, I advise you to make a mousse without raw egg, such as this delicious chocolate mousse with whipped cream.
- Egg whites can only be beaten stiff with grease-free tools. Before using, wash the bowl and the mixing hooks with hot water and washing-up liquid. Beat the egg whites until they are stiff enough that you can turn the bowl upside down and the egg whites don't fall out.
- When you have a recipe where you will mix egg whites into a batter or mousse, you do it in the following way:
- Initially, add ⅓ of the egg white to your bowl and gently stir it into the mixture with a whisk, making eight shapes with your whisk. This will get your mousse used to the egg whites.
- Next, add the rest when the egg whites are well mixed, and gently mix it into your mousse. This makes your mousse very airy.
- Refrigerator: Chocolate mousse can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Freezing: You can also cover and freeze the chocolate mousse. This keeps it good for up to a month. Then, the night before you want to eat it, put the mousse in the refrigerator and let it thaw. Eat the mousse within 24 hours. TIP: is the weather hot? Do not thaw the mousse completely, but leave it nice and frozen. You then have delicious chocolate mousse ice cream.