Spaghetti bolognese is always a favorite in this house. But do you dare to eat this Scary spaghetti bolognese Halloween style. Served with Mozzarella and olives. Delicious!
What are we eating for dinner, you're kidding me?!?! That was the first reaction I got when I served this. Purple spaghetti, eyes staring at you and the blood (the bolognese sauce) dripping off. It did not immediately look super attractive to eat. But that is not the intention of this Halloween recipe.
When the troops actually started to attack, it turned out that the taste was very good. Because this fast and easy homemade bolognese sauce is the best recipe I know for this Italian sauce. And the combination with the small Mozzarella balls that are deliciously creamy and the salty olives was pure gold. And I was right, because after the first shock 😉 all plates were emptied. Scraped empty. The Halloween spaghetti bolognese was approved!
Halloween style, a bit different
Halloween is one of my favorite days. Why? Because at Halloween, your plate can look just a little bit different. And this plate with those creepy eyes fits the theme perfectly.
Maybe you think therefor it might be very difficult to prepare? Good news, because it does not take you more time than you normally need for this delicious recipe. You color the spaghetti in a nice eye-catching color and decorate the Mozzarella with pieces of olive, so that they look like eyes staring at you. And with a beautiful end result.
How do you prepare purple spaghetti?
Color the spaghetti with some food coloring, which you add to the cooking water, along with a few teaspoons of salt.Because as the Italians say, pasta should be cooked in sea water. Now that sounds a bit distasteful to the ears, but by adding a bit of salt to your cooking water, your spaghetti will taste better.
For the spaghetti color: I used purple food colour paste, but of course you can vary with that. Now it is true that dark colors: blue, black, green, red and purple are best visible after when combined with the spaghetti, so that's a good tip to keep in mind.
Add oil to your spaghetti?
You may have noticed that I don't add oil to the cooking water. There are some cooks that that state that adding oil would help against sticking. Unfortunately, stirring well while cooking (once or twice) helps a lot better.
The correct tip is to add the oil after you drain the spaghetti in a colander. The oil then covers the spaghetti with a thin layer that ensures that the spaghetti no longer sticks. And if you use a good olive oil, just like the Italians, you also get a lot more flavor.
Best Bolognese sauce ever
What makes a good bolognese sauce? Naturally you use delicious Italian ingredients: combine an onion, garlic and various types of tomato products with Italian herbs. And then add a spoonful of sugar. Sugar may sound like the odd one in this recipe, but you add just a spoon to intensify the flavor of the tomatoes.
And after that you simmer the bolognese sauce, which makes the flavor more intense, on low heat. In this fast version at least 45 minutes, but in the classic Italian recipes you simmer for up to 4 hours. Bolognese sauce is therefore really a recipe that often got more flavor when warmed up a second time. So make more than you need and freeze a portion. It gives you a delicious second dinner. It will keep for up to 3 months in the freezer.
Fresh tomatoes or canned?
You don't have to use fresh produce. Sometimes it is even better to use the canned version. Because all vegetables have the best taste when they are picked in their own growing season. As happens with canned tomatoes. But tomatoes that are on the vegetable shelf in eg February have less flavor and are also less sweet. In that case the canned tomatoes give a much better taste.
For this Halloween spaghetti bolognese, it is certainly advisable to use the canned tomatoes.
Top tips for making a delicious bolognese
- By baking the tomato paste for two minutes the acidity will lower and the paste will become sweeter. So don't skip this step.
Do you have leftovers?
It's always a possibility that you've got some leftovers after finishing. What can you do with them?
- If you have leftover bolognese sauce, let it cool quickly and store in an airtight container. This way it will keep for 2 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer.
- Do you have any olives left? Then make these delicious marinated olives and process them into a delicious appetizer or make delicious Greek salad kebabs and serve them with dinner.
How do you prepare Halloween spaghetti bolognese?
- Step 1: Start with the bolognese sauce. Fry the onion until it is translucent and briefly stir-fry the garlic with it. Add the tomato puree and fry for 2 minutes until it smells sweet. Then you add the minced beef that you fry until it's brown. And finally add the rest of the ingredients into the pan. Turn up the heat so that it boils while you stir. When it boils, turn the heat down as low as possible and put the lid on the pan. Let it simmer for at least 45 minutes, but if you have more time, let it simmer even longer. From time to time (every thirty minutes), give the bolognese a quick stir.
- Step 2: 20 minutes before eating, get a pan with water, add 1 tablespoon of salt and bring to the boil. Add some drops of food coloring and then stir the spaghetti into the water. Let it cook until al dente (see the instructions), but if you prefer a somewhat softer pasta, you can extend the cooking time by 2 minutes. Drain the spaghetti and mix it with 1 to 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Step 3: While the spaghetti is cooking, cut the black olives into rings and the green olives into small pieces. On a plate, place the Mozzarella balls in front of you and first place a black olive ring on top and put a green piece of olive in the middle.
- Step 4: Place the purple spaghetti on the plate and press the Mozzarella balls into the spaghetti. Drip some bolognese sauce over the spaghetti. Serve the spaghetti with the rest of the Mozzarella balls and bolognese sauce.
The full recipe in easy steps can be found down below in the recipe card.
More Halloween recipes
As said I love to prepare Halloween recipes, because you can make such special foods and almost everything is allowed. And if you want even more inspiration, look at this recipes:
- Scary bread fingers, a delicious appetizer or soup side dish
- Halloween spider cake
- Halloween cosmopolitan, A cocktail in style
- Spicy Halloween pumpkin soup
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram or twitter . I love it when you make one of my recipes and I’m looking forward to look it up. You can also share your recipes on my Facebook channel or pin this recipe on Pinterestso you can find it easy next time. See you soon!