These smoked trout appetizers with cucumber and sour cream are delicious little finger food snacks. You can easily make them and prepare a lot of them in only 15 minutes. Prepare beautiful rounds of rye bread with a cutter (or a glass). The horseradish with sour cream gives these snacks a delicious creamy zing.
Why do you want to prepare these appetizers?
- Easy: Only 6 ingredients and with a cutter in your hand you can make 20 appetizers in just 15 minutes.
- Fresh and creamy: by using cucumber and fish this snack is fresh. The horseradish cream gives it a bit of pit, which is a great addition to the smoked fish.
- Can't go wrong: This is such an easy-to-prepare appetizer, that it just can't go wrong. And I also added a video (at the recipe at the bottom), so you can see it for yourself.
- Elegant and beautiful: These appetizers look beautiful and elegant. When having a glass of Champagne in one hand on your next New Year's Eve or cocktail party, this recipe is a great choice.
- Delicious flavor: And of course the most important part: the flavor. The slightly sour rye bread with the refreshing cucumber. And the salty fish and the creamy yet peppery horseradish cream. Those flavors all compliment each other and give a flavor explosion in your mouth.
Which ingredients do you need?
Not a lot, because these appetizers only need 6 ingredients.
- Smoked trout: this fish has got a very soft and delicate taste. And that's why many people like it. If you can't get it, or if you don't like it, you can also replace it with smoked mackerel or salmon.
- Cucumber: the cucumber is used as a refreshing accent in this finger food. You can use it peeled or unpeeled.
- Rye bread: a tart, coarse bread. It's a delicious counterpart to the smoky fish. If you don't like rye bread you also can use a Melba toast.
- Sour cream and horseradish: the flavor of horseradish is sharp and resembles the intensity of mustard. Would you do that straight on your dish, it could be too intense. By mixing it with the sour cream you get a slightly spicy taste that combines very nicely with the trout. If you want more sharpness, add another tablespoon of horseradish.
- Cress: Not only does it look nice, but the peppery taste of the cress is great in combination with the horseradish cream.
How do you prepare these smoked trout cucumber appetizers?
A video and a printable recipe can be found at the bottom of this blog post.
Step 1: Peel and cut the cucumber
Wash the cucumber and peel it (if you prefer that). Cut into ¼ inch (0.5 cm) thick slices.
Step 2: Mix the sour cream with horseradish
Whisk the sour cream and horseradish in a small bowl and put it in a piping bag. I used a Wilton piping nozzle 018 for this recipe. But if you don't have a piping bag, you can also use a teaspoon to spoon some cream on the cucumber.
Step 3: Cut the rye bread
Slice the rye bread with a cutter. Repeat that for all rye bread slices. If you don't serve this appetizer immediately, you can store the cut-out rye bread rounds in plastic foil at room temperature.
Step 4: Assemble the smoked trout cucumber appetizers.
Take a round of rye bread and top it with a cucumber slice. Add a bit of smoked trout. Pipe some horseradish cream on the fish. Garnish with cress.
- Use a round (cookie) cutter to prepare the rye bread rounds. If you don't have one take a glass, put it upside down on the rye bread. Take a sharp knife and cut it out round around the glass.
- You can slice the smoked trout but you can also pull a bit of fish loose.
- Because this is an appetizer with smoked fish, make sure you store this finger food until you're serving it in the refrigerator.
- It's beautiful to use a piping bag for the horseradish cream. But if you don't have one, you can also use a teaspoon and add some cream on top of the trout.
- Smoked trout can always contain a piece of bone. Pay special attention to this during preparation and check the fish really well.
- You can prepare part of the snacks in advance. Cut out the rye bread and wrap it in plastic foil. You can store them for up to 2 days at room temperature. You can also slice the cucumber in the morning. Store them, together with a slightly wet paper towel so they won't dry out, in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The horseradish can be mixed with the sour cream and put into the piping bag up to 1 day in advance. Store in the refrigerator.
- When you've assembled these appetizers, you can't store them. Eat them right away.
Is smoked trout raw and do you need to cook it?
Smoked trout is normally fully cooked, because of the hot smoking that's used. It isn't raw and you don't have to cook it, because it's safe to eat. But remember that smoked trout is a fresh fish, so it's still important to store it in the refrigerator until use. It can only be kept for a few days after buying so keep that in mind.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Recipe for smoked trout appetizers with cucumber
Use the buttons to adjust the number of people.
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cucumber English, peeled and sliced in ¼ inches (½ cm)
- Cut out of each slice of bread 2 circles of 2 inches (5 cm) diameter with a cutter.10 slices rye bread
- Mix the horseradish with the sour cream and put it in a piping bag.½ cup sour cream, 2 tablespoons horseradish
Assemble the smoked trout appetizers
- Put a circle of rye bread in front of you.
- Top with a slice of cucumber.1 cucumber
- Take some smoked trout and put it on top of the cucumber.4½ oz smoked trout
- Pipe horseradish cream on the fish.
- Garnish with some cress.½ oz cress
- Refrigerator full snacks- Because this is an appetizer with smoked fish, make sure you store this appetizer until you're serving it in the refrigerator. Prepare them on the same day as you're going to eat them.
- Room temperature (Rye Bread) - Cut out the rye bread and wrap it in plastic foil. You can store them for up to 2 days at room temperature.
- Refrigerator (Slice cucumber and horseradish cream) - You can also slice the cucumber in the morning. Store them, together with a slightly wet paper towel so they won't dry out, in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The horseradish can be mixed with the sour cream and put into the piping bag up to 1 day in advance. Store in the refrigerator.