Chicken and spinach risotto recipe: a creamy risotto, with delicious fried chicken, and fresh spinach. All flavored in a delicious broth, cream, and cheese. An easy recipe without much stirring! This way you can make everything quite delicious, right?
Now that we have arrived in spring, we can enjoy delicious fresh spinach again. Full of vitamins and minerals such as iron. And because we are still early in the season and it hasn't been too hot, the leaves are beautifully young and fresh.
Now you can make delicious salads with it or make a nice stir-fry dish, but you can also use it in Italian risotto. And this recipe for risotto is even better because you don't need to stir continuously. Why? I tell you later!
And if you like risotto, make sure to also check out this delicious risotto with shrimp and arugula.
But what is risotto?
I think it's super fun to know what I serve on my plate. For example take risotto which, although it is really rice, comes from Italy. From the north of Italy to specify.
Each risotto recipe has five steps. It always starts with frying onion and, if you are going to use it, garlic in butter or oil. Then the rice is added and fried. The rice then becomes glassy instead of white.
In the third step, you add moisture. Broth, wine, or other condiments. The next step is to add the seasonings, like vegetables, meat, or fish.
Finally, you let the risotto rest for 1 minute, after which you add butter, cream, and/or cheese.
No continuously stirring
Although commonly believed continuously stirring is the way to prepare a good risotto, that really isn't necessary at all. If you take a large pot or frying pan, you don't have to stir that often.
In this post of serious eat, they've been experimenting with what is the best way to prepare risotto. They think (and I agree) that continuously stirring is inefficient.
And they found out that stirring is needed when using an original risotto pan because it's a narrow pot. The rice and liquids stack and you'll need to stir to keep it in contact.
But when you use a wider pan, that isn't a problem anymore and you don't have to stir all the time! I've tried it myself several times and it works so well. So my advice takes a skillet or a width pan and you've got a creamy and delicious risotto with less work!
What do you need to prepare risotto with spinach and chicken?
These are the ingredients necessary for making chicken and spinach risotto:
Do you use fresh or frozen spinach?
Use fresh spinach leaves if you can get your hand on them. If it's not in season you can use frozen spinach. Let it thaw before adding it.
Advised wines to use to prepare this creamy risotto
Use a dry white wine like a Chardonnay, Sauvignon blanc, Pinot Grigio or Pinot Noir.
How to prepare spinach and chicken risotto
This is an easy recipe to prepare this creamy risotto with stock, wine, spinach, chicken, and cheese. You start by flavoring the risotto rice and cooking it on medium heat until done. Then. you add spinach and chicken and heat everything. Make it creamy by adding Parmesan cheese and cream and top with some pine nuts.
In almost all (traditional) risotto recipes wine is added. So it's a key ingredient and adds flavor. The alcohol in the wine will vaporize when cooking. If you really want to discard it, use some extra stock.
Yes, you can. But it's not recommended. The stock will give a lot of flavor to this dish, which water doesn't. So it won't be as delicious as when using stock.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Watch How to Make It
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Chicken and spinach risotto recipe
- 10 oz. fresh spinach washed
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 pound chicken breasts diced ½ x ½ inch cubes or 1 x 1 cm
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic squeezed
- 2 cups risotto rice like Arborio rice
- ½ cup white wine Chardonnay, Sauvignon blanc, Pinot Grigio or Pinot Noir.
- 3 cups chicken broth warm
- 3 oz. Parmesan cheese grated
- ¼ cups cream
- 1 oz. pine nuts roasted
- ½ oz. basil
- salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Fry the spinach with adjoining water in a frying pan until it shrinks.10 oz. fresh spinach
- Remove the spinach from the pan and drain.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in the pan and fry the chicken cubes until they are brown and done. Remove them from the pan and set them aside.3 tablespoons oil, 1 pound chicken breasts
- Take a large pan and add two tablespoons of oil and fry the onion for about three minutes until they are glassy.1 onion
- Then add the garlic and stir fry for 30 seconds.1 clove garlic
- Pour in the risotto and fry for 3 minutes until the white grain becomes a bit translucent.2 cups risotto rice
- Deglaze with the white wine and scrape the bottom of the pan (to get all brown bits).½ cup white wine
- Then add 2 cups (500 ml) of broth. Stir briefly. And make the broth come to a boil. Turn the heat to medium. Leave it, uncovered and stir only one or two times in between, until all the liquids have been absorbed.3 cups chicken broth
- Add another ½ cup (120 ml) to the risotto. Check the firmness of your rice. If you think it's done, stop adding stock. Otherwise, add another half cup (120 ml) of stock and let it absorb.
- Mix the spinach and the chicken through the risotto and heat everything well.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add the cream and the Parmesan cheese and stir.¼ cups cream, 3 oz. Parmesan cheese
- Taste and season with salt, pepper and basil.½ oz. basil, salt and pepper
- Top everything with pine nuts, stir again and serve immediately.1 oz. pine nuts
- Spinach - You can use finely cut kale, escarole, or arugula instead of spinach.
- Cream - You could also use butter instead of cream (and it will even become creamier that way). Use 3 tablespoons of butter, unsalted, instead.
- Chicken - If you opt for a vegetarian solution substitute the chicken with 13 oz. (400 grams) sliced and fried mushroom.
- Parmesan - Instead of parmesan cheese you could also use Pecorino Romano cheese. If you want to add a more cheesy flavor use Gruyère or Cheddar.
- You can't store/reheat risotto leftovers. So eat it right away.