A recipe for spaghetti in its purest form: spaghetti aglio e olio, which is spaghetti with oil and garlic (and pepper, parsley and Parmesan cheese). Ready in a wink and so delicious you lick your fingers, literally.
How I came up to this recipe? In December we went on a trip for a few days to Maastricht (South of the Netherlands) and we ate at Restaurant Napoli. When you walk through the door, you feel like you’re right in an authentic Italian restaurant. And maybe they went a little to far in that feeling when looking at the decor, they even got plastic tablecloths. In any case, the food is authentic Italian and I ordered the spaghetti con aglio e olio. So good! I literally licked my fingers off. And from that moment it was obvious I had to try this dish at home.
It looks so simple
And if you want to know if you are eating at a good Italian restaurant, you can test it by ordering this spaghetti. It is one of the most simple pasta dishes and very simple to prepare, but if you go wrong, you can also completely screw it up.
For example, the garlic. If it bakes too brown, it becomes bitter. And the amount of chillies added is also important. Peppers give this dish pit, but too much can literally let the steam coming out of your ears.
Also delicious for Valentine’s Day
And I recommend this dish for Valentine’s Day. Why, there is so much garlic in it you might think? And that is precisely why, share this dish with your love and you win his heart (the love of the man is what he eats and with whom), and besides that: no other woman will look at him that day because of the large amount garlic 😉
I have already made this dish a few times and we found it delicious. I would say Bon Appetito!
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram or twitter . I love it when you make one of my recipes and I’m looking forward to look it up. You can also share your recipes on my Facebook channel or pin this recipe on Pinterestso you can find it easy next time. See you soon!
Spaghetti aglio e olio
- 250 grams spaghetti
- 100 ml olive oil extra virgin
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 small red chilli deseeded
- 10 sprigs parsley
- sea salt
- Parmesan cheese
- Slice the garlic into thin strips.
- Chop the pepper and the parsley.
- Cook the spaghetti according to the instructions.
- Get ½ cup of cooking liquid from the pan (keep it aside) and drain the spaghetti.
- Leave the spaghetti with the lid on the pan.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil and fry the garlic with the chilli, until the garlic is just very light brown at the edges.
- Turn off the heat and add the hot pasta cooking liquid (that way you stop the cooking process immediately).
- Mix the garlic mixture and parsley through the spaghetti.
- Season with salt.
- Shave Parmesan cheese on top and serve immediately.