Discover this delicious recipe for a Shepherd's Pie with tuna. A delicious meal with lots of flavor and filled with vegetables, potatoes and fish. Easy to make and ideal for busy days.
A delicious Tuna Shepherd’s Pie
This Shepherd’s Pie with Tuna is an ideal recipe that you can use if you have some leftovers. Vegetables, meat, or fish nicely seasoned at the bottom of the baking dish. Supplement with some extra and a delicious creamy layer of potatoes on top. Just gratinate and you have a quick and easy meal.
This casserole is not only very tasty, but also filling. Tuna provides a good source of protein, while the leek, together with the other vegetables, adds a sweetness. The topping of mashed potatoes with crispy panko and cheese completes this dish.
What's even better is that the recipe is very easy to make. You don't need hours in the kitchen to put this delicious meal on the table. Whether you have a busy weeknight or just fancy a bowl of comfort food, this potato casserole with tuna and leek will fit perfectly into your schedule.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Tuna and vegetable filling
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 1 leek Finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic squeezed
- 4 ounce carrots in small cubes
- 2 stalks celery in small cubes
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- ½ cup white wine dry
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 pound canned tuna
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pounds potatoes floury like King Edward, Russet, Doré
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- 4 oz. garlic butter
- ⅔ cup grated cheese
- ⅓ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F or 320 °F
Tuna and vegetable filling
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add both onions and fry until translucent, about 3 minutes.1 tablespoon sunflower oil, 1 onion, 1 red onion
- Then add the leek, carrots, celery, and garlic and stir-fry everything for one minute.1 leek, 1 clove garlic, 4 ounce carrots, 2 stalks celery
- Spoon the flour through the vegetables and fry for 3 minutes. Make sure you do that, otherwise you will taste the flour.3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Pour the stock and wine with the vegetables and stir well. Sprinkle dried thyme on top.2 cups vegetable broth, 2 teaspoons dried thyme, ½ cup white wine
- Bring to a boil, turn the heat down en let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Finally add the milk and tuna to the skillet and season with salt and pepper.¾ cup milk, 1 pound canned tuna, salt and pepper
- Bring to the boil and turn off the heat.
- Put the tuna vegetable filling at the bottom of the baking dish.
Mashed potatoes (can be prepared at the same time as the tuna vegetable filling)
- Peel the potatoes and cut them in four (if they are large).2 pounds potatoes
- Put them in a pan with water and salt. Make sure the water level is about ¼ inch (½ cm) above the potatoes.1 teaspoon salt
- Bring the water to the boil and boil the potatoes until they are tender (you can then easily prick the potato with a fork and feel no resistance).
- Drain the potatoes and mash them.
- Heat the milk with the garlic butter in a pan until the herb butter has melted.½ cup milk, 4 oz. garlic butter
- Pour the milk-butter with the mashed potatoes and mix everything well.
- Spoon the mashed potatoes on the tuna vegetable filling.
- Mix the cheese with the panko and thyme in a small bowl.⅔ cup grated cheese, ⅓ cup panko bread crumbs, 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Sprinkle that over the potato in the casserole.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Grated cheese: Use a Gouda cheese. Cheddar is also a good choice.
Panko: You can also replace it with breadcrumbs.
- Preparation: Prepare it the day before and put it in the refrigerator. This way all you have to do is bake it.
- Refrigerator: Wrap the baking dish with potato dish in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to two days.
- Freezer: Wrap the baking dish in two layers of plastic wrap and store in the freezer for up to a month. Let thaw in the refrigerator.
- Reheating: Heat the oven dish, covered with aluminum foil, in a preheated oven at 350 °F (180 °C) for 20 minutes or until the potato casserole with tuna and leek is hot.