Shepherds pie an oven dish filled with vegetables, potatoes and meat. But this variant with tuna is definitely a keeper.
Shepherds pie is an ideal recipe that you can use if you have some leftovers. Vegetables combined with meat nicely flavored at the bottom of the baking dish. Add some extra if necessary and top everything with a delicious creamy layer of potatoes. Gratinate the casserole in the oven and you have a quick and easy meal.
But sometimes you have vegetables and potatoes, but no meat left. Or you prefer to eat fish. Then this shepherds pie with tuna is a solution.
- Because Shepherds pie is very suitable for leftovers, this is a basic recipe. Vary nice and loose with leftovers that you have left. It really tastes delicious.
- Prepare the casserole the day before and put it in the refrigerator instead of the oven. So you only have to bake it the day after.
It's a good taste!
Recipe Shepherds pie with
Shepherds pie with tuna
Tuna and vegetable filling
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 100 gram leek Finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic squeezed
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 400 ml vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 100 ml white wine dry
- 100 grams carrots in small cubes
- 2 stalks celery in small cubes
- 200 ml milk
- 400 grams tuna
- pepper to taste
- 1 kg potatoes crumbly
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 100 ml milk
- 100 grams herb butter
- 75 grams cheddar cheese grated
- 50 grams panko
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius
Tuna and vegetable filling
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Add both onions and fry until glassy, about 3 minutes.
- Then add the leek and garlic and stir-fry everything for 1 minute.
- Spoon the flour through the vegetables and fry for 3 minutes. Make sure you do that otherwise you will taste the flour.
- Pour the stock into the vegetables and stir well. Then add the carrot, celery, wine and thyme.
- Let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Finally add the milk and tuna to the skillet and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil and turn off the heat.
- Put the tuna vegetable filling at the bottom of the baking dish.
Mashed potatoes (can be prepared at the same time as the tuna vegetable filling)
- Peel the potatoes and cut them in four (if they are large).
- Put them in a pan with water. Make sure the waterlevel is about 0.5 cm above the potatoes.
- Bring the water to the boil and boil the potatoes until they are tender (you can then easily prick the potato with a fork and feel no resistance).
- Drain the potatoes and mash them.
- Heat the milk with the herb butter in a pan until the herb butter has melted.
- Pour with the mashed potatoes and mix everything well.
- Spoon the mashed potatoes on the tuna vegetable filling.
- Mix the cheddar with the panko and thyme in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle that over the potato in the casserole.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
What did I use to prepare this
Kitchen utensils I’ve used to prepare this recipe. When you follow the link you will go to another page with a short explanation of each item. It’s also possible to order directly if you’re in need.