A sweet taste, are Sloppy Joes nice comfort food or just fast food? I don't know, but this recipe for Sloppy Joes made in the slow cooker is a real hit!
It's time again for the food blog swap and this time I was allowed to cook from the blog of Slowfoody. And I chose this delicious slowcooker recipe for Sloppy Joes. A stew of mince in a sweet sauce that you eat with a bun. Popular in bars and restaurants in America and with that it sure sounds like fast food, but you also have to stew it for a while so it could also fall into the comfort food category. I just don't know for sure, but I know why it's just so popular it tastes great.
Slowcooker, a great cooking method with
warm and cold weather
Because it was so hot I loaded my slow cooker with all the ingredients and then thrown it outdoors (not literally of course ;-). That way it stayed nice and cool inside. Because the disadvantage of cooking is your home warms up as well. And that's fine in winter, but in the summer I look for alternatives. And if you have a power outlet outside, you can also use your slow cooker outside. As an alternative to the barbecue which I also use quite a lot these hot days. The oven and the stove are rarely used when the mercury rises above 23-24 degrees Celsius.
The minced meat used for Sloppy Joes is simmered in the rich, thick sauce. On low heat for an hour or four. Further thickening is not longer necessary. Then you grab a delicious luxury hard bun or hamburger bun which you cut through the middle and you spoon a few tablespoons of the meat mixture on the bottom (the sauce then pulls delicious into the bread). Serve a crispy green salad and you've got a delicious meal.
Enjoy your Sloppy Joes and the wonderful weather and have a very nice weekend!
- BBQ sauce can be bought in your supermarket. But you can make your own barbecue sauce and you can add all the ingredients at taste and get the best bbq sauce you've tasted. You can find the recipe here.
- By serving the brad on a bun, the bun becomes sticky and sloppy (and that's why it's called a Sloppy Joe). But it's more difficult to eat. That's why I serve my buns in a piece of baking paper. That way they're easier to handle.
- You can substitute the barbecue sauce with 120 ml Ketchup and a dash of Worcestershire sauce. It becomes more savory that way.
- If you don't want to eat beef, you dan substitute it with ground chicken.
- ice berg lettuce, tomatoes, onions and pickles in a hamburger bun.
- Serve as a Big Mac Sloppy Joe by putting a slice of soft cheddar on the meat. Through the warmth the cheddar will melt. So delicious.
- Cool the meat and store in an airtight container up to two days in the refrigerator.
- Freeze the meat in an airtight container. First cool down and the put the meat in the box. You can freeze it up to 2 months. After thawing just warm the meat and serve
Other delicious slowcooker
- No bean Chili from the slowcooker
- Slowcooker whole chicken
- Slowcooker Mongolian beef
- Stew with gingerbread
It's a good taste!
Slowcooker Sloppy joes
- 500 grams minced beef
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 120 ml barbecue sauce
- 400 ml passata
- 2 tablepoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add the shallot and celery.
- Bake on medium heat for about 3 minutes.
- Add the minced beef and bake until it's brown.
- Add to the slowcooker.
- In a separate bowl whisk the barbeque sauce, passata, worcestershire sauce, vinegar, sugar and herbs. Add the sauce to the slowcooker.
- Turn the slowcooker on low heat for 4 hours.
- Serve the Sloppy Joes on a bun with a green salad.
What did I use to prepare this
Kitchen utensils I’ve used to prepare this recipe. When you follow the link you will go to another page with a short explanation of each item. It’s also possible to order directly if you’re in need.
- a good pair of knives
- cutting board
- Brushes, spatulas and other cooking utensils
- frying pan