Learn how to prepare Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes for a tasty home-cooked meal. Comfort food or fast food? I don't know, but this recipe for Crock Pot Sloppy Joes is a total hit. Discover an easy recipe to make them yourself!
Easy Crock Pot Sloppy Joes Recipe
Sloppy Joes are a typical American dish. It is not only very easy to make but also super tasty. A stew of minced meat in a sweet sauce that you eat on a sandwich.
It is popular in cafes and restaurants in America and, therefore, fast food, but you also have to stew it for a while so that it could fall into the comfort food category. It doesn't matter what it is precisely; it's undoubtedly super tasty.
This recipe was made for the food blog swap and inspired by a recipe from the Dutch blog called Slowfoody.
Best Slow Cooker Sloppy Joe
The meat of the sloppy Joe, ground beef, is simmered in the rich, thick sauce and seasonings on a low setting in the slow cooker for about four hours. Thickening is then no longer necessary. The slow cooking in the slow cooker ensures that all the flavors blend well, and the meat becomes wonderfully tender.
Then you take a delicious bun that you cut in half, and you spoon a few tablespoons of the meat mixture onto the sandwich (the sauce will then be absorbed wonderfully into the bread). Serve with a crispy green salad, and you have a delicious meal.
Enjoy your Sloppy Joe Sandwich!
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 1¼ pound ground beef
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- 2 cups sieved tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add the shallot and celery.1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 shallot, 2 stalks celery
- Bake on medium heat for about 3 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and bake until it's brown.1¼ pound ground beef
- Add the meat and veggies to the slow cooker.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the barbecue sauce, sieved tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, sugar, and spices.½ cup barbecue sauce, 2 cups sieved tomatoes, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, 1 tablespoon white vinegar, 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar, 1 teaspoon sweet paprika powder, 1 teaspoon dry mustard, 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Add the sauce to the slow cooker.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and turn on low heat for 4 hours.
- Serve the Sloppy Joe on a bun with a green salad.
- You can replace the barbecue sauce with ½ cup (120 ml) ketchup and a dash of Worcestershire sauce. It then becomes a heartier recipe.
- If you don't want ground beef, you can also replace it with ground chicken.
- Delicious with iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and pickles in a hamburger bun.
- Make it a big Mac Sloppy Joe by placing a slice of Cheddar cheese on the minced meat. The heat melts the cheese. Very tasty.
- Refrigerator: Allow to cool and store covered in the fridge for two days.
- Freezer: You can also freeze the meat in a freezer container. First, you cool it, and then you freeze the meat. This can be kept in the freezer for up to 2 months. Allow to thaw in the refrigerator.
- Reheat: Place the sloppy Joe in a saucepan and add two tablespoons of water. Heat over medium heat while stirring until hot.