Tomato, basil and mozzarella topped with a little balsamic vinegar is great, but this Valentines Caprese salad is made with love. Prepare this simple recipe yourself.
A caprese salad is an Italian dish and you would find it named Insalata caprese on the menu in Italy. It always consists of tomato, basil and mozzarella, and is often topped with olive oil and some salt and pepper. The colors of the salad refer to the Italian flag. I often serve this salad with balsamic vinegar for extra flavor twist. But this time so I won't disturb this beautiful dish I used white balsamic vinegar.
Because Italy is the land of love and amore, I decided to make this salad. A salad carpese is often eaten as an appetizer in Italy and not as a side dish / vegetable dish as you might expect. And it seemed to me this is a great dish to start your delicious Valentine's dinner. By placing the tomatoes on the bottom of the plate and scattering the mozzarella on top (whereas you cut out small hearts with a cookie cutter), it makes a super beautiful and festive recipe.
Mozzarella is available in two types: buffalo and cow's milk mozzarella. Both made with the same recipe, yet very different in color, texture and taste. Buffalo mozzarella is made from the milk of the water buffalo which is found in regions in Italy. It is firmer, has more flavor and a white color. Cow's milk mozzarella is softer and pale yellow in color. That is because in cow milk a bit of carotene from the grass is present, which gives a tan to the milk.
Did you know that one theory is that mozzarella is named after the Italian word mozzare which refers to cutting the cheese. Mozzarella is recognized by the EU as a guaranteed traditional specialty.
It's a good taste!
Did you make this Caprese salad? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram or twitter . I love it when you make one of my recipes and I’m looking forward to look it up. You can also share your recipes on my Facebook channel or pin this recipe on Pinterestso you can find it easy next time. See you soon!
- 125 grams mozzarella go for buffalo for even more flavor
- 15 grams basil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar white balsamic vinegar is very nice in this dish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the tomatoes and cut them into slices. Make sure you cut the stalk out.
- Cut the mozzarella into slices.
- Optional: Put the mozzarella in front of you and cut out hearts with a cookie cutter (or if you have a steady hand, you simply cut in this form).
- Arrange the tomato slices in a deep plate.
- Spread the mozzarella hearts on top.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
- Distribute the basil leaves over the tomato.
- Season with salt and pepper.