Chicory appetizers are crispy vegetable bowls filled with a savory sweet mixture of grapes, pistachio nuts and radishes with a delicious Roquefort dressing.
For a couple of years now I've been a big fan of the website La Tartine Gourmande. The photographic work, the recipes that are performed are equally beautiful. When Beatrice Peltre so was writing a book and it was released I've direct purchased it in English. But because the Dutch version is also available, called Joie de Vivre, a review today. And of course a recipe: an adaption from Belgium endive leaves from this book.
La Tartine Gourmande
NB I bought this book myself , and I was not asked to do a review. Any opinion expressed here is my personal opinion .
La Tartine Gourmande is a cheerful, colorful and lively book. As you can tell , though her name Beatrice is originally from France, from the North East part of the country to be exact. She has traveled the world, in her book she describes her job in New Zealand , Australia and the United States. If you are born as Beatrice in a family like hers , it's almost hard not to do something with food . Yet Beatrice initially jobs and schooling went in a whole different direction. She has a degree in Computer Science and English. But eventually she came back to the family roots and she started www.beaskitchen.com which transfered later into www.latartinegourmande.com.
The recipes in the cookbook are divided into breakfast, lunch , dinner and desserts. And these chapters are divided into subcategories. So the Belgium endive leaves, made for this review are in the chapter dinner, sub chapter party with small bites. That makes it sometimes a bit difficult to seek. Also because you are quite distracted by all the beautiful pictures. The recipes are gluten-free, and since I usually don't cook gluten-free, this book is a welcome addition .
What I think is a bonus point for this book is that you know that although it's gluten - free, you still don't have the idea that you 're eating a diet recipe. It tastes great and looks delicious.
- Because of the chapter layout, sometimes a recipe can be hard to find.
- Because the recipes are gluten-free, the ingredients are not always easy to get. Fruit and vegetables that are used are not always easy to buy around here in the Netherlands. Perhaps in the Dutch translation (which I don't have), it's adjusted.
- Because of the beautiful appearance in the book you might think that you will never can make such a beautiful dish. Beatrice is great in styling and photographing a dish.
- Beatrice is great in styling and photographing a dish. As a result, this book is very, very attractive
- Nice that a cookbook gives such a refreshing gluten-free dishes .
- The recipes are not quite difficult to make. At every recipe a little text block is created where some explanation, background or a good story related to the recipe is given.
This book is wonderful as a gift but also to keep it yourself! You can find it right here, if you want to look into the book yourself (and maybe buy it).
It's a good taste!
(adapted from La Tartine Gourmande)
Did you make this chicory appetizers? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram or twitter . I love it when you make one of my recipes and I’m looking forward to look it up. You can also share your recipes on my Facebook channel or pin this recipe on Pinterestso you can find it easy next time. See you soon!
This recipe is:
- sea salt and pepper
- 1 clove garlic minced
- tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 chicory
- 2 tablespoons pistachios coarsely chopped
- 150 grams red grapes quartered chopped, deseeded
- 6 radishes cut into small cubes
- 90 grams Roquefort cheese crumbled
- pistachio nuts very small chopped as a garnish.
- Make the vinaigrette by mixing all the ingredients.
- Stir well so that everything is mixed. Set aside.
- Grab the chicory leaves and wash them.
- Mix the pistachios, grapes, radishes and cheese.
- Season with the vinaigrette.
- Put two teaspoons of this mixture on a leaf.
- Sprinkle with finely chopped pistachios and garnish with dill.
- Serve immediately otherwise the nuts won't be crispy anymore.
What did I use to prepare this
Kitchen utensils I’ve used to prepare this recipe. When you follow the link you will go to another page with a short explanation of each item. It’s also possible to order directly if you’re in need.
By clicking on one of these links you will be directed to one of the partners with which ByAndreaJanssen cooperates. I also receive a small contribution, so I can post more great recipes on my site. For more information look at my disclaimerpage.