Layers of fluffy bread sprinkled with cinnamon sugar gives a delicious sweet bread, great at brunch or high tea.
Beauty surrounded the Daring Bakers this month as our host, Sawsan, of chef in disguise, challenged us to make beautiful, filled breads. Who knew breads could look as great as they taste?
Cinnamon sugar twist
This airy bread is build out of four layers of sweet bread dough that's flavored with a hint of cardamom. Between every layer you spread some creamy butter on top of which you sprinkle delicious cinnamon sugar. In the oven that will melt and gives a crispy caramel. And after the bread is baked, but yet warm, you drip some sweet condensed milk on top. And by doing all this you get the most delicious sweet bread you've ever tasted.
- The 4 circles got to be 20 cm, but if they aren’t exactly the same diameter, that doesn’t matter to much. You won’t see it when the bread is baked.
- Make sure your butter is at room temperature. When it’s to cold it won’t smear.
- When cutting the bread in 8 triangles, it’s a good thing to put the bread in the refrigerator before doing so for about half an hour. Therefor the butter hardens and the forming of the bread is so much easier.
- Substitute the cinnamon with gingerbread spices when you're baking for the Christmas holidays.
- This bread will stay fresh up to 3 days at room temperature when you wrap it airtight.
- Don’t store this bread in the refrigerator. The structure will change, which isn’t that nice.
- You can freeze this bread. Wrap it, when cooled down to room temperature, in plastic foil. Freeze it up to 1 month.
Other delicious bread
- Three dough sweet bread wreath
- Soda bread with cranberries
- Cinnamon sweet bread wreath
- Nutella twist bread
It's a good taste!
Recipe cinnamon sugar twist
Did you make this Cinnamon sugar twist bread? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram or twitter . I love it when you make one of my recipes and I’m looking forward to look it up. You can also share your recipes on my Facebook channel or pin this recipe on Pinterestso you can find it easy next time. See you soon!
Cinnamon sugar twist bread
- 60 ml water lukewarm
- 180 ml milk lukewarm
- 1 egg size L
- 60 gram butter roomtemperature
- 50 gram sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 450 gram plain flour
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom 1
Between the layers
- 60 gram butter
- 4 tablespoons cinnamon
- 100 gram sugar
- 60 ml milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 100 ml sweetened condensed milk
- In a bowl whisk the egg with milk, water, sugar, butter and yeast. Set aside.
- In another bowl sift the flour with the salt and cardamom.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and knead until you get a smooth dough.
- Place the dough in a bowl you have brushed with some oil and cover it with a wet cloth and leave it in a warm place to double.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Divide the dough into 4 parts.
Between the layers
- Roll each part into a circle at least 20 cm (8 inch) in diameter.
- Brush the first layer with ¼ of the butter then sprinkle with ⅓ of the sugar and cinnamon.
- Place the second layer on the first layer repeat the brushing and sprinkling and then do the same with the third layer.
- Top with the fourth layer, this time only brush it with the remaining butter.
- Using a knife make cuts that divide the dough circles into 8 triangles.
- Make cuts that go ⅔ of the way in the middle of each triangle. (The cuts should not reach the base of the triangle nor the tip).
- Take the tip of each triangle and insert it into the cut you made and pull it from the underside.
- Arrange the triangles on your baking sheet.
- Pinch the two angles at the base of the triangle together.
- Brush the dough with milk.
- Allow to rest for 15 minutes during which you would heat your oven to very hot (240°C) (rack in the middle).
- Bake for 5 minutes on very hot (240°C), then lower the temperature to moderately hot (200°C) and bake for 15-20 more minutes.
- Take it out of the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack and drizzle with sweetened condensed milk while it is still warm.
What did I use to prepare this
Kitchen utensils I’ve used to prepare this recipe. When you follow the link you will go to another page with a short explanation of each item. It’s also possible to order directly if you’re in need.