With this delicious apple custard pie, the apples are placed in a pudding, which is then baked in the oven. That gives you that sweet exterior, with a creamy filling with fresh apple. A party will be on your plate, so delicious.
Apple Custard Pie
And then it happens… my birthday. There has to be a party and a cake. Because my birthday is in the fall, apple pie is a logical choice. This recipe is based on a recipe from Hilda Huiskamp. In 2006 she won the First prize in a Dutch contest with this recipe. And indeed, the Apple Custard Pie is delicious. Fresh, sweet, and creamy.
What do you need for Custard and Apple Pie?
To prepare this Apple Custard Pie, you need the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
- Apples - Use a baking apple for this apple pie, such as the Golden Reinette or Pippin. These are sweet and sour apples, which soften when baked. You can also replace it with Jonagold or Braeburn (suitable apples for baking a pie).
- Flour - All-purpose flour is used in this recipe
- Baking powder - Makes the dough airy.
- Sugar - Sweetener for this pie.
- Butter - This will make the dough creamy. Use unsalted butter at room temperature.
- Custard - Custard powder is a mixture of cornstarch, vanilla flavor, and a yellow colorant. It will thicken the cream.
- Cream - The main ingredient for this custard filling. Pour this mixture (cream, custard, vanilla, and sugar) between the apples and bake until it has become a thick cream.
- Vanilla extract - gives a hint of vanilla flavor to the cream. If you don't have vanilla extract, you can replace it with two teaspoons of vanilla sugar.
How to prepare Apple Pie with Custard
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog.
- Knead the flour, baking powder, egg, sugar, and butter into a dough. Shape into a round disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Leave in the fridge for 30 minutes. Then roll out the dough into a circle of 14 inches (34 cm) and line the springform with dough. Cut off the overhanging edges.
- Peel the apples and remove the core. Cut each apple into eight wedges. Place it upright in the baking tin.
- Mix part of the cream with custard, sugar, and vanilla extract. Bring the rest of the cream to a boil and stir in the custard mixture. Return to low heat, stirring, until the custard cream thickens.
- Pour the custard over the apples. Place the springform in a preheated oven at 350 °F (180 °C) at ⅓ height and bake for 70 minutes. Check every 10 minutes after 40 minutes that the apple pie with custard is not getting too brown (in that case, cover it with aluminum foil. Let the pie cool to room temperature and set it in the fridge.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Apple Custard Pie
Use the buttons to adjust the number of people.
- Springform 11 inch diameter (26 cm)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg size L
- 1⅔ cups sugar
- 1¼ stick butter room temperature
- 2¼ lbs. apples sour apples like Granny Smith
- ½ cup cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla-extract
- ⅔ cups sugar
- 2¾ cup cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Place the rack at ⅓ from the bottom.
- Cover the baking form with parchment paper (including the side walls).
- Form a dough by kneading flour, sugar, baking powder, egg, and butter.2 cups flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 egg, 1⅔ cups sugar, 1¼ stick butter
- Wrap the dough in plastic foil and let the dough rest for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Roll the dough into a circle with a diameter of 13½ inches (34 cm).
- Place the dough in the baking form and remove the excess dough with a knife.
- Peel the apples and remove the core. Cut every apple into 8 wedges.2¼ lbs. apples
- Put the apple pieces vertically on the dough and fill the form as well as possible.
- Poour the cream, sugar, custard, and the vanilla-extract and whisk well.½ cup cream, 3 tablespoons custard, 1 teaspoon vanilla-extract, ⅔ cups sugar
- Bring the other part of the cream to a boil.2¾ cup cream
- Take off the heat and whisk the custard mixture in it.
- Whisk very well and put the pan back on low heat.
- Warm, while whisking, until the custard thickens.
- Take off the heat and pour the custard over the apple parts.
- Place the springform in the oven.
- Check regularly if the top isn't browning too much. Starting at 40 minutes every 5 to 10 minutes. If so place aluminum foil on top until the baking time is done, after 70 minutes.
- Take the pie out of the oven and let it cool down until room temperature.
- Then put the pie in the refrigerator and let it stiffen for about 3 hours or more.
- Refrigerator - Cover the apple pie with custard. You can keep the cake in the fridge for up to three days.
- Freezer - Let the cake cool completely. Then pack it airtight with foil or in a freezer box. You can freeze the cake for up to one month. Let it thaw in the refrigerator.