This chicken enchilada casserole is creamy, slightly sweet, and crispy because of the cheese. Homemade from scratch, but very easy. I love well-filled wraps with a creamy filling (certainly not dried out) and a creamy gratin topping. And this recipe has it all! Do you like that too? Then this recipe is really for you!
Enchiladas are a typical Mexican dish. They are tasty, slightly sweet and crunchy, and ready quickly. And they are also super budget-friendly. To give the chicken even more flavor, I used Garam Masala. These deep flavors make a wonderfully spicy tomato sauce.
Every bite of the enchilada is a party in itself. The delicious chicken in the tasty tomato sauce is wrapped in a crispy wrap with a lick of sour cream. This is a quick and easy evening meal, served with rice and a tasty salad. This is an excellent dish for an easy evening dinner.
And do you like Mexican food and want some more inspiration? Then take a look at this page full of recipes inspired by Mexican cuisine (Tex-Mex). Delicious nacho casseroles, tortillas and tacos recipes.
What do you need for an enchilada wrap with chicken?
To prepare this chicken enchiladas, you need the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
- Garam Masala - An Indian roasted spice mix. Every region got its style of preparation. You can get it in almost any supermarket nowadays.
- Chicken stock - To poach the chicken and give it more flavor. The best is homemade chicken stock, but use a cube if you don't have it.
- Grated cheese - Use a cheese, like Gouda, for a lot of flavor.
- Tomato paste - To deepen the flavor. But make sure to use it the right way. To give it its delicious rich, and slightly sweet taste, you should bake it for 2 minutes before adding the other ingredients.
- Sour cream - This is a thick, slightly acidified cream. It gives a full flavor and is delicious as a topping.
- Chicken breast - For this recipe, I used chicken breast. But chicken breast fillets are, of course, also possible.
- Tomatoes - Freshly sweet, firm, and juicy. Flesh tomatoes and Roma tomatoes have excellent taste.
- Garlic - Gives a wonderful flavor to the sauce.
- Tortilla wraps - Delicious plain wheat tortillas are used for this recipe. But you can also opt for a multigrain wrap tortilla with a slightly nutty taste.
How to prepare Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog.
- Bring the stock to a boil and add the chicken breast. Cook for 10-12 minutes. Remove three tablespoons of stock from the pan and set aside. Cut the chicken into small cubes.
- Mix the tomato paste, garlic, and garam masala in a small bowl.
- Brush the tortilla wraps with ¼ of the tomato paste mixture. Top with ¼ part of the chicken and diced tomatoes. Sprinkle with a tablespoon of grated cheese and one tablespoon of sour cream. Roll up the tortilla tightly and place it in the baking dish. Repeat for all tortillas.
- Brush the top and sides of the tortillas with the rest of the sour cream and sprinkle with the cheese. Pour in the three tablespoons of stock and bake for 20 minutes in a preheated oven at 390 °F (200 °C).
Serve - This is delicious with (brown) rice and a crunchy cucumber salad.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 chicken breasts
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- 1 clove garlic squeezed
- 1 tomato deseeded, and sliced in small cubes
- 5 oz. grated cheese matured
- ½ cup sour cream
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Preheat the oven to 390 °F or 350 °F
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil.4 cups chicken stock
- Add the chicken breast to the stock and poach them for about 10-12 minutes until done.3 chicken breasts
- Remove the chicken from the stock and cut in small cubes (make sure to reserve 3 tablespoons of the stock)
- Mix the tomato paste with the garlic and garam masala⅓ cup tomato paste, 1 clove garlic, 2 teaspoons garam masala
- Take a tortilla and spread ¼th of the tomato paste mixture on top.
- Then take ¼ of the chicken and ¼ of the tomato dice and make a straight line in the middle of the tortilla.4 tortilla wraps, 1 tomato
- Sprinkle a bit of grated cheese on top and a tablespoon of sour cream.5 oz. grated cheese, ½ cup sour cream
- Roll the tortilla tight and lay them in a casserole dish.
- Repeat this for all the tortillas.
- Smear the remaining sour cream on the top and sides of the rolled tortillas.
- Sprinkle with cheese and add 3 tablespoons of stock into the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with cheese and add three tablespoons of stock to the casserole dish.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Refrigerator - This will keep covered in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freezer (not yet baked) - Cover the unbaked chicken enchilada casserole with two layers of foil and freeze for up to 2 months. The oven dish does not have to thaw before you heat it.
- Freezer (baked) - Cover with two layers of aluminum foil and freeze for up to 1 month. The oven dish does not have to thaw before you heat it.
- Baking after freezing (not yet baked) - Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 20 minutes at 350 °F.
- Reheating - Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes in a preheated oven at 350 °F.
Leave a Reply