Flammkuchen, fast food at it's best. And that's a fitting description because this delicious recipe is on the table in just 22 minutes.
It's Fast Food Friday, indeed you can say that because this flammkuchen is surely among the quick bites. I will tell you quite frankly that I saw the term flammkuchen at several occasions when I was browsing the internet, but I had never eaten it myself. That should be changing soon, so I went on the web looking for some information about Flammkuchen. According to wikipedia a flammkuchen (or a tarte flambé in French) is a piece of thin bread dough with crème fraîche, onions and strips of bacon. From other sources I learned that bacon and onions are used, but often the crème fraîche is altered. And although I like to eat crème fraîche, I find an entire dough with this delicious stuff just a little too much of a good thing. So I mixed the cream with yogurt. Slightly less fat and still got those delicious full flavor.
And because I'm a fan of spices and thyme goes great with onions, (as seen in this delicious onion tartlets, I added that as extra flavor. I slide the baking plate it into the oven and waited quietly. (quite exciting when you totally don't know what to expect.) And after it was oven baked, I cut it into pieces and tasted. What a surprising flavors and so tasty. I understand why I have seen so many blog post about flammkuchen. This is fast food at its best. Of course I'm going to share the recipe with you.
It's a good taste!
Recipe Flammkuchen, fast food at its
Pas met de knoppen het aantal personen aan.
- 250 grams crème fraîche
- 250 grams Greek yoghurt
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 12 bacon slices
- 2 onions sliced
- 10 gram thyme fresh or 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 260 Flammkuchen pastry
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees Celsius.
- Mix the crème fraîche and yogurt with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Heat a frying pan and fry the bacon until it's just brown and crisp.
- Remove the bacon from the pan and then add the onion rings into the skillet and cook until they are translucent.
- Roll out the dough on the baking plate. Because the dough already has a parchment paper it goes easy and you don't have to scrub your plate afterwards.
- Brush the top with the yogurt - crème fraîche mixture.
- Divide the bacon and fried onions over the topping.
- Sprinkle with thyme.
- Slide the flammkuchen in the oven and bake for 12 minutes.