Crispy vegetarian caprese kebabs with (off course) tomatoes, Halloumi cheese and basil. And as a secret ingredient combined with garlic bread. Then deliciously baked on the barbecue. Yummy!
Each recipe week includes at least one vegetarian recipe, just for a change and because I am not a very big meat eater myself. I can also enjoy cheese or an egg dish. And this recipe is a wonderful change and a great addition to my BBQ recipes.
Halloumi is a goat cheese that appears to have a somewhat rubbery structure (nowadays it is made by mixing goat milk, sheep milk and cow milk). This makes it very suitable for grilling, because it does not drip. But you can certainly eat it fresh or as a topping in the soup.
And because of this features this makes Halloumi cheese very suitable for this barbecue recipe. (why off course we used it)
It's a good taste!
Recipe grilled caprese kebabs with Halloumi and garlic
- frying pan
- 4 skewers
- Bbq or grill
- 75 ml olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic sliced thin
- 1 bread uncut, a firm loaf such as sourdough is very suitable
- 225 grams Halloumi cut into 12 cubes
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 15 grams basil leaves ½ finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic glaze
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Heat the oil in the frying pan.
- Turn off the heat and add the garlic slices.
- Leave for 15 minutes and strain the oil.
- Cut the crust from the bread and then cut it into cubes. You need 12 blocks in total.
- Put a cube of Halloumi, bread, cherry tomato on each skewer and repeat that twice.
- Brush the kebabs with garlic oil and leave for 15 minutes.
- Brush them again with garlic oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill for 2 to 3 minutes on each side
- Place a few basil leaves on the end of the skewer
- Drizzle with the finely chopped basil, garlic oil and balsamic cream. Serve immediately.