Make this Moroccan Kefta kebab yourself very easily, from scratch. You can make these skewers in the grill pan, but they are also very tasty from the BBQ.
A festive recipe, with spicy flavors. The ground beef is wonderfully seasoned, so that the meat has a lot of flavor and remains moist. This is truly one of the tastiest meat dishes from Moroccan cuisine.
Make Your Own Kefta Kebab: Authentic and Easy Recipe
Today we are going on a culinary journey to Morocco. You can make this delicious kefta kebab on the BBQ or in the grill pan. It is very spicy and a bit spicy (but not too much, so everyone can enjoy it).
The first time I ate kefta kebab I was really surprised by the delicious flavor combination. The spices all matched so well together. And serving it as a kebab, especially in the summer, is really a party on y our plate. It's easy to make (you just need to season the ground beef and fold it around the skewers). I have made kefta kebab before and really like this spice combination. Not too spicy, because we want to enjoy it with the whole family. I'm curious what you think of it.
What do you need for Grilled Kofta Kebabs?
To prepare this Moroccan Kefta Kebab, you require the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
- Ground beef: Minced beef has a lot of flavor and fits well in this casserole. But you can also opt for half pork and half beef, chicken or minced lamb.
- Garlic and Onion: Garlic and onion together are a well-known flavor combination. Often the basis of a delicious spicy meal. And that is also the case here. Use 'regular' yellow onion. If you find that too sharp, you can also use red onion.
- Paprika powder: has a spicy taste, which adds umami to the kefta kebabs.
- Cumin powder: tastes sweet, is warming and has a nutty undertone. You can compare it (and also replace it) with caraway seeds.
- Cinnamon: Has a sweet, woody flavor with a hint of lemon. We use it here ground.
- Cayenne pepper: Spicy and sharp in taste. Less spicy compared to chili or chili flakes.
- Parsley and mint: For a fresh taste in the kebab.
How to prepare Middle Eastern Beef Kefta Kebabs
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog.
- Place the ground beef in a large bowl and add the chopped onion.
- Add paprika powder, cumin powder, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, salt, parsley, and mint. Squeeze the garlic cloves over the minced meat.
- Knead everything well and shape the minced meat into eight kebabs (long oval shapes). Place it on a plate and keep it in the freezer for half an hour.
- Insert a skewer (that works much better now) and store covered in the fridge. Before grilling, brush the kebabs with sunflower oil. Grill the kefta kebabs for eight minutes or until cooked through, turning.
Tips, Substitutions, and Variations
- Smoked paprika instead of 'normal' paprika gives a delicious smoky taste.
- With kefta kebab, serving a yogurt sauce, tahini sauce, or spicy sauce such as harissa is nice.
- Knead the minced meat until everything is just mixed. Then stop kneading because if you knead the minced beef too long and too much, the meat will become too firm and less moist.
- When using bamboo skewers, soak them in water for at least an hour. This way, your skewers won't burn during grilling.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
- 1 ¼ pound ground beef
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper ground
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons parsley fresh, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried mint
- 2 cloves garlic squeezed or sliced finely
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Place the ground beef in a large bowl and add the onion, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, salt, parsley, mint, and garlic.1 ¼ pound ground beef, 1 onion, 1 teaspoon paprika powder, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper ground, 1 teaspoon salt, 4 tablespoons parsley, ½ teaspoon dried mint, 2 cloves garlic
- Knead until just mixed.
- Shape the minced meat into eight kebabs (oval-shaped). Place on a plate and put it in the freezer for thirty minutes.
- Stick a skewer in each kebab and place it back on the plate. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the grill is hot.
- Brush the meat with the oil and grill for 8 minutes, turning, until cooked through.1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- Serve the skewers immediately.
- Minced beef has a lot of flavors and fits well in this casserole. But you can also opt for half-and-half, chicken, or minced lamb.
- Knead the ground beef until everything is just mixed. Then stop kneading because if you knead the minced beef too long and too much, the meat will become too firm and less moist.
- Refrigerator: Store the skewers uncooked and covered in the fridge for up to 2 days. You can also keep them baked in the refrigerator for up to 2 days (covered with plastic wrap).
- Freezer: Make the kefta kebab and wrap it in plastic and then in a freezer box. Baked or unbaked, they will keep for up to a month. Let thaw in the refrigerator.