Here’s how to present a delicious piece of beef into a really special BBQ Beef Roast. Use garlic, pepper, and herb brine to give it extra flavor and juiciness and make it very tender. The marinated roast beef is grilled on the BBQ to give it a brown crust and pink inside, bursting with flavor. You can fully prepare it on the BBQ, but for even easier preparation, you can use your Air Fryer.
BBQ Beef Roast Recipe
A beef roast is not the most economical piece of meat you can grill, but it’s got such a delicious flavor that I can recommend it for sure. It will give you juicy and tender beef with much flavor when prepared correctly.
But what’s the right way, you might ask? Besides a delicious marinade, I used herb, pepper, and garlic dry brine this time; the preparation is essential.
Start by taking the roast beef out of the refrigerator on time. That way, the meat doesn’t have a cold inside and warmer outside. As you can imagine, if there’s much temperature difference, the meat will become done on the outside and raw on the inside.
Then you’ll cook/roast/bake the beef over indirect heat until its internal temperature is 120 °F (50 °C). And if you’ve got a Kamado or green egg, this should be a piece of cake. But if you haven’t one of these, you could also use your air fryer (and I’ll show you how below). After this, we’ll put the meat on the grill for a final roast on all sides.
And make sure that you don’t eat it right away. Instead, let it rest for 10 minutes, so the juices can distribute evenly. And be aware that during that time, the cooking process isn’t done entirely yet, so your core temperature still rises a bit (so don’t overcook it).
What do you need for this Grilled Roast Beef Recipe?
To prepare this simple recipe for BBQ Beef Roast, you need the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
- Beef Roast - You can use Top Round Roast (or Topside Roast) for this recipe. It’s a popular cut for classic roast beef. Top Sirloin Roast (or Rump Roast) will also be great to marinade and grill this way.
- Thyme, rosemary - Herbs to flavor the marinate. You could also use oregano, sage, or parsley.
- Garlic - makes everything better.
- Red pepper - to give a bit of spice to the marinate.
- Olive oil - this way, you can brush the meat with brine.
- Sea salt - for brining the Roast beef, thereby giving it a crunchy outside, keep it juicy and a flavorful piece of meat.
How to prepare Roast Beef on the BBQ
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog.
- Put all the ingredients for the marinade into a mortar and mash them finely with the pestle. If you don’t have a mortar and pestle, you could use a kitchen machine with a knife.
- Brush the meat with the brine rub. Cover it with foil and let it marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Take it out of the refrigerator an hour before grilling (or 2 for a thick piece of meat) to get an even temperature throughout the meat.
- Rinse the rub of the meat, and pat the meat dry with kitchen towels. Bake the beef over indirect heat at 350 °F (180 °C) on the BBQ or grill until you reach a core temperature of 120 °F (50 °C) (measured with a meat thermometer). This will take about 45 to 90 minutes. But if you want to make it even easier, use less gas/coals, and use your air fryer—Preheat the air fryer to 350 °F (180 °C). Place beef into the air fryer basket and bake for 10 minutes. Check the core temperature with a meat thermometer. Take the beef out of the air fryer when it’s 120 °F (50 °C). Otherwise, extend the baking time by 2 to 5 minutes, and check again. The indirect heat method via the air fryer will take about 10 to 20 minutes (depending on the thickness of your roast beef).
- Turn the BBQ on and make sure it’s hot. Grill the roast beef for 4 minutes on all sides. Wrap the beef in aluminum foil and let it rest for 10 minutes. Then cut it into thin slices and serve. Make sure to slice against the grain to get the most tender bits.
Serve this with a potato salad, focaccia with caramelized red onion, and garlic butter. Or grill flat bread (3 minutes on both sides) and fill it with lettuce, tomatoes, and carrot strips. Put the roast beef slices on top and fold. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
BBQ Beef Roast
- mortar and pestle
- 4 twigs dried thyme leaves only
- 4 twigs rosemary leaves only
- 1 clove garlic squeezed
- ½ red chili pepper deseeded, chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ¼ pound Beef Roast
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Put the thyme, rosemary, garlic, red pepper, sea salt, black pepper, and olive oil in a mortar and use a pestle to mash the herbs finely.4 twigs dried thyme, 4 twigs rosemary, 1 clove garlic, ½ red chili pepper, 2 teaspoons sea salt, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Brush the cut of beef roast with the marinade. Wrap the beef in foil and let it come to flavor for at least two hours in the fridge (but you could let it marinate for up to a night).1 ¼ pound Beef Roast
- Take it out of the refrigerator for one to two hours before grilling.
- Rub the herbs of the meat with kitchen towels (or rinse it under running water). Pat the meat dry.
- Preheat the BBQ, grill, or Air fryer to 350 °F (180 °C, medium-high heat) and bake/grill the beef indirect* until its core reaches a temperature of 120 °F (50 °C). It will take 30 to 90 minutes on a closed BBQ. With the air fryer, you’ll be done in 10-30 minutes.
- Turn on the BBQ until it’s hot. Grill the roast beef for 4 minutes on all sides.
- Wrap in aluminum foil and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut into thin slices. Slice against the grain to get the most tender bits.