Bring the sun to your plate with this tasty snack of peach Skewers with Ham & Basil. The juicy peaches and salty ham make every bite irresistibly delicious.
Grilling the peaches caramelizes the sugars in them, giving them a deeper flavor. Delicious as a snack at a party, a snack for a picnic, or as a light summer starter. Try it soon!
Enjoy the Summer Flavor Explosion: Grilled Peach with Serrano Ham
In the summer, on hot days, I can smell the peaches on my peach tree (yes, I am lucky enough to have that one in my garden). And then I immediately get hungry. And not only do I eat them out of hand, but I also regularly make this easy snack.
This recipe, grilled peach with Serrano ham, can be made in advance.
The sugars already present in the peach will caramelize by grilling, giving a deeper taste. Next, you thread the salty ham and the sweet, spicy basil on the same skewer, so these flavors come together in every bite. You will definitely make this snack more often. This will get you in the mood for summer.
What do you need for Ham & Peach Bites?
You require the following ingredients to prepare these Peach Skewers with Ham & Basil. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
- Peaches: Choose ripe and juicy peaches. They are wonderfully sweet. Can't wait for fresh peaches? Then use peaches in juice (not in syrup).
- Serrano ham: This is a Spanish pickled and cured raw ham. It smells sweet, has an umami taste, and is salty. You buy it in thin slices in the meat department.
- Basil: A soft green herb with a spicy taste, a sweet aroma, and a little pepper.
How to prepare Peach Ham Appetizers
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog.
- Peel the peaches. Sometimes that goes very easily, and the skin comes off. Otherwise, make a cross at the bottom with a sharp knife. Then immerse them in boiling water for 10 seconds and place them in an ice bath. The sheet will now come off quickly. Next, cut the peaches into quarters and remove the pit.
- Quarter each peach part and fry them briefly, about 2 minutes per side, in a hot grill pan until grill marks can be seen.
- Thread a basil leaf onto a skewer.
- Cut each slice of ham in half and thread onto a skewer, and finish with a piece of grilled peach. Repeat until all the peach (or Serrano ham) is used up.
Tips, Substitutions, and Variations
- Peaches: Can also be replaced with nectarines or plums.
- Serrano ham: Parma ham or Iberico ham are good alternatives.
- Honey: You get a warm, sweet taste by pouring a little honey over the peaches.
- BBQ: In summer, this becomes a delicious starter by grilling half peaches on the BBQ and serving with ham and shredded basil.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Peach Skewers with Ham & Basil
- 1 peach
- 8 slices Serrano ham halved
- 16 fresh basil leaves
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Remove the skin from the peach (see tips). Cut the peach into quarters and remove the pit. Cut each peach quarter into quarters.1 peach
- Heat a grill pan until very hot, and place the peach cubes in the pan. Cook for about 2 minutes on all sides until grill marks are present. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Thread a basil leaf and half a slice of Serrano ham onto each skewer.8 slices Serrano ham, 16 fresh basil
- Now also thread a caramelized peach block onto the skewer.
- Your snack is ready to be served.
- Some varieties have a bit looser skin, and you can easily peel it by pulling the skin.
- If that doesn't work, cut a cross in the bottom of the peach with a knife. Submerge the peaches in boiling water for 10 seconds, remove them with a slotted spoon, and immerse them in an ice bath. You can now remove the skin.
- Make sure your peaches are juicy and firm. You can also use peaches in juice.
- You can also replace peaches with nectarines or plums.
- You can easily prepare this snack in the morning. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Longer storage is not recommended.
- This snack cannot be frozen.