Tea eggs are eggs that are cooked and after that soaked in spices. This time in tea with different Oriental spices. That gives a nice pattern on the eggs and great flavor.
Almost Easter! A great time. The buds are on the threes, the first flower bulbs are rising and the crocuses are flowering. And when the sun is shining, my Easter days are great!
As appetizer I choose these tea eggs. The eggs are cooked, the shells are broken and then they are soaked in tea with herbs. Use a black tea for this recipe.
Afterwards slice them in 8 and serve them with some salt and you've got a great appetizer for Easter. And have a great Easter!
- Use eggs that are about 10 days old. When they are to fresh, the skin is more difficult to peel.
- After cooking, scare the eggs under cold water. This also ensures that the eggs peels off more easily.
- Serve with celery salt as a dipper
- Use star anise tea instead of Earl Grey and let the star anise out.
- Replace salt soy sauce with sweet soy sauce
The price of this budget friendly version is less than €0.10 per appetizer (total 32 appetizers)
- You cannot store tea eggs, the structure changes and they become less tasty (see the tip above for prep reparation)
Other tips and delicious egg
- How do you cook the perfect hard boiled egg over and over again
- Deviled eggs without mayonnaise (but with avocado)
- Italian flavored deviled eggs
- Purple deviled eggs
It's a good taste!
- 8 eggs
- 2 teaspoons black tea
- 1 star anise
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons salt soy sauce
- Boil the eggs until they're hard.
- Let the eggs cool until they reach room temperature.
- With the back of a spoon softly beat the eggs until cracks appear on the whole shell.
- Put the eggs in a pan with water. The water level should be about 1 cm above the eggs.
- Add the tea, star anise, sesame oil and soy sauce to the water.
- Bring to the boil, turn the heat low and simmer for 2 hours.
- Turn of the heat and let the eggs cool down to room temperature.
- Take the eggs out of the pan.
- Peel the eggs, half them and slice every half in four pieces.
- Serve with some salt
What did I use to prepare this
Kitchen utensils I’ve used to prepare this recipe. When you follow the link you will go to another page with a short explanation of each item. It’s also possible to order directly if you’re in need.
- a good pair of knives
- cutting board
- Brushes, spatulas and other cooking utensils