A delicious spring recipe: spaghetti with asparagus, ham and poached egg. A special and super tasty combination. The Egg blends wonderfully with the spaghetti and the salty ham
Asparagus, the white n
The asparagus season starts on the second Thursday of April in the Netherlands and lasts until the longest day of the year: 21 June. The white gold, as the asparagus is also called, then needs the rest of the season to store enough nutrients for next year's harvest.
Recipes with n
You often see asparagus in combination with ham and egg or with smoked salmon. These flavors combine wonderfully with each other.
In the last years I made several delicious asparagus recipes which can also be found on my site, such as:
As you can see tasty soup recipes with asparagus, but unfortunately no main course (yet). This is about to change today. This delicious spaghetti with asparagus, ham and egg combines three delicious flavors and combines them with this delicious spaghetti.
- the egg is poached instead of fried or boiled, therefor the egg yolk will mix wonderfully with the spaghetti, making it taste very creamy.
- you break the asparagus instead of cutting it, so you determine exactly where the juicy part of the asparagus starts. To do this, hold the underside (at the cutting edge) of the asparagus in your hand and slowly bend the top until it breaks in two.
- if you want the best asparagus, choose class AA: the best quality. These are followed by class AAA (thicker) and A (thinner) asparagus.
- if you want to know if your batch of asparagus is fresh, test this by rubbing two asparagus over each other. If a beeping sound sounds, they are fresh.
- if you have already bought them, but need them tomorrow and want to keep them fresh, roll them in a wet cloth and keep them in the fridge.
- add your asparagus peels at the bottom of the pan with the rest of the asparagus when cooking they become extra tasty.
- put vinegar in the water in which your poaching the eggs, the eggs when poached, solidifies faster and keeps it in shape.
It's a good taste!
Recipe: Spaghetti with asparagus, ham and
Spaghetti with asparagus, ham and poached egg
- vegetable peeler
- 300 grams asparagus
- 400 grams spaghetti
- 150 grams ham cubes or bacon
- 4 eggs
- 60 mL vinegar
- 50 grams butter in small cubes
- parsley or other herbs
- Peel the asparagus with the peeler
- Break the asparagus by grasping the bottom and bending the top.
- Wash the asparagus peels and put them at the bottom of the pan. Place the asparagus on top and add enough water so that the asparagus are just beneath water level.
- Bring the water to the boil and let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the asparagus rest in the pan for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the asparagus from the pan and cut into pieces (approximately 3 cm).
- Bring a pan of water to the boil to which you add the vinegar and a second pan of water for the spaghetti.
- Cook the spaghetti according to the package al dente.
- Carefully break an egg over a glass so that the yolk stays whole.
- Stir with a spoon in the pan with vinegar water, so that you get a whirlpool and then pour the egg in the middle.
- Poach the egg for 3 minutes and remove it with the skimmer. Repeat for all eggs.
- Mix the spaghetti with the butter (which will melt), asparagus and ham cubes and then scoop on a plate.
- Place a poached egg on each pile of spaghetti.
- Divide some parsley or other herbs on top.