You can make this Potato and Ground Beef Casserole with Spinach from scratch. Topped with mashed potatoes and cream cheese, this is SO delicious! This is a great dinner recipe if you want to make it easy on yourself because you can simply prepare it. And you will see that everyone will like this. Enjoy!
Potato and Ground Beef Casserole with Spinach
Casseroles are super easy for a weeknight meal. Especially if you know you don't have much time, because you can easily prepare this in advance and only have to bake it. A flavorful ground beef and spinach stuffing topped with a thick layer of mashed potatoes. Spread cream cheese and breadcrumbs on top for a crispy and creamy crust.
And this recipe is also easy to adapt. If you have any leftover vegetables, you can also add them to the filling. Or mix in some mushrooms or corn. You will see that it will taste good. Tasty!
What do you need for a Ground Beef-Spinach Casserole?
To prepare this Potato and Ground Beef Casserole with Spinach, you need the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
- Potatoes - Use floury potatoes to make this recipe. Russet, Doré, King Edward, and Maris Piper are great choices.
- Milk - For thinning the mashed potatoes. Add it warm, and your purée will become fluffier.
- Butter - To make the purée. The butter melts and gives a creamy taste.
- Onion - Adds flavor to the filling.
- Ground Beef - Ground beef has a delicious taste and bite. You can also opt for ground pork, turkey, chicken, or minced lamb.
- Spinach - You can use fresh or frozen spinach in this recipe. When using fresh spinach, fry it in a wok or frying pan with water attached, so it shrinks. Drain frozen spinach well before using it in the filling.
- Tomato Paste - Gives the sauce a deeper flavor. Fry the tomato paste for 2 minutes before thinning the sauce; this will make it sweeter (otherwise, the sour taste of the paste can be overpowering).
- Cream cheese - Spread over the top of the oven dish. It will melt in the oven and give a delicious creamy taste.
- Breadcrumbs - As a topping, it bakes crispy in the oven.
How to prepare Spinach and Ground Beef Casserole
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog.
- Fry the onion in a skillet until translucent. Add the tomato paste and stir-fry it for 2 minutes. It will start to smell slightly sweet. Then add the ground beef and brown it.
- Add the spinach to the meat in the pan and cook until it wilts. Do you use frozen spinach? Then let it thaw and drain and mix with the ground beef.
- Spread the beef - spinach mixture over the bottom of the baking dish.
- Make mashed potatoes with boiled potatoes puréed with warm milk and butter and spread them over the spinach-beef mixture. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and spread the cream cheese over it. Bake for 30 minutes in a preheated oven at 390 °F (200 °C).
Variations and Tips
- Yummy! Add sliced mushrooms to the spinach filling. It is also nice to mix corn through it.
- Make sure to drain the spinach well. Otherwise, you will end up with a watery filling.
- You can easily prepare this casserole with spinach and minced meat. Make it a day in advance and store it in the fridge. Then, the next day all you have to do is bake it in the oven (bake for 35 minutes instead of 30 minutes).
- The potatoes are done when you can easily pierce them with a fork without resistance.
- When you add warm milk, the mashed potatoes become extra creamy.
- Remove the cream cheese from the refrigerator 30 minutes before use to make it easier to distribute.
More Easy Casseroles
Want even more easy casserole recipes? For example, this potato zucchini casserole with fish is super delicious. Or a Dutch cream potato casserole with ground beef, called Aardappel Anders. And this Italian Lasagna with Kale and Sausage is wonderfully surprising.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Potato and Ground Beef Casserole with Spinach
- 2.2 lb potatoes floury
- ½ cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 onion sliced finely
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb fresh spinach or frozen
- 1 oz. tomato paste
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- ½ cups breadcrumbs
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Preheat the oven to 390 °F or 350 °F.
- Peel the potatoes and cook them in a layer of water for 20 minutes, until done.2.2 lb potatoes
- Meanwhile, heat the milk and butter.½ cups milk, 2 tablespoons butter
- Mash the potatoes and stir in the hot milk and butter mix.
- Heat oil in a skillet and fry the onion until translucent (about three minutes).1 tablespoon sunflower oil, 1 onion
- Add in the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes.1 oz. tomato paste
- Put the ground beef in the skillet and bake it until it is nicely browned.1 lb ground beef
- Add the spinach with the beef mixture and stir well, until it withers. If it is still a bit wet, bake a while until it gets drier.1 lb fresh spinach
- Spoon the ground beef and spinach mixture onto the bottom of a baking dish.
- Add the mashed potatoes on top of it and smoothen the top.
- Spread the cream cheese over the potatoes and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.4 oz. cream cheese, ½ cups breadcrumbs
- Bake for 30 minutes in the oven.
But you can make it a day in advance and keep it covered in the fridge. Then extend the baking time by five minutes (so 35 minutes in total). 6. The nutritional value is per serving, assuming four people eat the potato and ground beef casserole with spinach.