This creamy, slightly sweet pumpkin soup is a delicious lunch dish or entree in fall or winter, but certainly on the Thanksgiving menu.
It's pumpkin time, harvest is on top and I find that these vegetables look great. But somehow I find it difficult to cook with it (though you can find some great pumpkin recipes on this site). That's because it's not a very common vegetable in the Netherlands when I was young. In the last years, pumpkins are becoming more popular though.
Because I do find that pumpkin have a distinct flavor, you need to add some flavors yourself. In this simple recipe you make sure your stock is seasoned well with salt and pepper (if you didn't do that already). By adding the chives olive oil, you add an extra spicy yet elegant taste to this soup.
- you prick the outside of the pumpkin with a fork, it cooks faster and is done much faster.
- you add butter the soup will get a creamy accent.
- you first stew the pumpkin in the oven the flesh is easier to remove afterwards.
It's a good taste!
Thanksgiving pumpkin soup
- 1 pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery sliced in small cubes
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 liter chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 stalks chives chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Cut the squash in half, remove the seeds and pierce the exterior with a fork.
- Place on a baking tray and place in the oven. Cook for 90 minutes (until the flesh is soft).
- Scrape the flesh from the peel and set aside.
- Put some butter in a pan and fry the garlic with the onion.
- Pour the broth and add the celery, nutmeg and pumpkin. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender.
- Pour the maple syrup in.
- Put the olive oil and chives in a food processor with knife and blend until smooth.
- Pour the soup into a bowl and add, to taste, the chive oil.
What did I use to prepare this
Kitchen utensils I’ve used to prepare this recipe. When you follow the link you will go to another page with a short explanation of each item. It’s also possible to order directly if you’re in need.