A vegetarian soup that is delicious in the winter. By baking the vegetables in butter and then add them to the soup it will get a delicious creamy taste. And by baking the leek and cabbage they get a sweet bite.
Because both vegetables are real winter vegetables, this is a soup I (and only) eat a lot in Winter. .
So are you looking for a delicious (vegetarian) soup recipe? Here it is:
- Make your own vegetable stock for even more flavor. You can find the recipe here.
- Slice the leek and cabbage in thin strips. Therefor the flavor will be better and more intense.
- You can substitute Chinese cabbage with savoy cabbage or green cabbage
- Serve this recipe with a baguette and herb garlic butter.
- Look which cabbage is in season and so is best priced. Slice your cabbage yourself and don't use any sliced vegetables (they always cost more)
- Substitute butter with margarine
- If you store leftover vegetables (like the stem of broccoli, carrot and leek scraps or any other kind of vegetables) in the refrigerator until you've got almost a bag. Put them in a large pan and add some herbs, salt and 3 liter water. Bring to the boil and let it simmer for 1 hour. Sieve your stock. This way you get a very cheap yet very flavorful vegetable stock. The stock can be used immediately or frozen. You can freeze it up to 2 months.
- Let the soup cool down quickly and cover it for 2 days in the refrigerator.
- Let the soup cool down quickly and put it in an airtight container. Freeze it up to 2 months.
Other delicious soup
- Easy onion soup
- Sweet tomato soup, as it’s served at a Dutch Chinese restaurant
- Skinny spinach soup
- Arugula spinach soup
It's a good taste!
Recipe Cabbage leek
Did you make this Vegetarian cabbage leek soup? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram or twitter . I love it when you make one of my recipes and I’m looking forward to look it up. You can also share your recipes on my Facebook channel or pin this recipe on Pinterestso you can find it easy next time. See you soon!
Vegetarian cabbage leek soup
- ½ Chinese cabbage
- 3 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 450 grams leek
- 1 liter vegetable stock
- salt and pepper at taste
- Bring a large saucepan with water (about 2 cm) to the boil.
- Clean the cabbage and cut into strips and blanch for 5 minutes.
- Rinse under cold running water and drain.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over low heat.
- Add the cabbage and stir so that it is coated with a layer of butter.
- Put the lid on the pan and cook, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the leeks: clean the leek and cut into thin rings.
- Melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over low heat.
- Add the leeks, cover with a lid and cook, while you occasionally stir, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked cabbage and broth to the leek mixture. Bring to the boil and simmer for 40 minutes on medium heat.
- Season at taste with salt and pepper.
- Add vermicelli to the soup, bring back to a boil and cook for 5 minutes on.
What did I use to prepare this
Kitchen utensils I’ve used to prepare this recipe. When you follow the link you will go to another page with a short explanation of each item. It’s also possible to order directly if you’re in need.
- a good pair of knives
- cutting board
- Brushes, spatulas and other cooking utensils
- Soup / hotchpot pan