If you get an unexpected visitor, bake krakelingen, Dutch sweet pretzel cookies. A crunchy and sweet pretzel is irresistibly delicious. And these cookies are super quick and easy to make yourself.
A crispy and crunchy krakeling is irresistibly delicious. The layers of puff pastry that you slowly bite through are full of airiness. The sweet sugar crystals slowly melt in your mouth. It is one of my favorite cookies. And especially when I have unexpected visitors, I like to bake them. Because baking sweet pretzel cookies takes almost no time and effort, and these krakelingen cookies only contain five ingredients, it doesn't get easier.
Make sure you pack the pretzels airtight immediately after baking. Puff pastry tends to soften quickly if left in a bowl for too long. And even better, bake them fresh.
What do you need for Dutch Sweet Pretzel Cookies?
To prepare these krakelingen, you need the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
- Puff pastry - Butter puff pastry is the most delicious because it melts in your mouth. Use four slices of 4 x 4 inches (10 x 10 cm_ or cut them back if you have them on the roll.
- Egg Yolk - To brush on the top of the cookies. As a result, the sugar sticks well and gives a golden-yellow shine.
- Cream - For a creamy topping.
- Cinnamon - Has a sweet woody flavor with a hint of lemon. We use the ground version here.
- Demerara sugar - A brown sugar with a fruity peppery taste. You can replace it with granulated sugar or cane sugar.
How to prepare this Dutch Pastry Cookies Recipe
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog.
- Place the four sheets of puff pastry of 4 x 4 inches (10 x 10 cm) on top of each other and roll them out into a sheet of 8 x 8 cm (20 x 20 cm).
- Cut the puff pastry into thick strips of ¾ inch (1 ½ cm).
- Place a strip before you and fold the first end towards the center. Repeat for the other end. You now have the characteristic pretzel shape. Beat the egg yolk with the whipped cream and brush the pretzel.
- Mix sugar with cane sugar and sprinkle over the cookies. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 °F (180 °C) for 25 minutes until golden brown and baked.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Krakelingen Dutch Sweet Pretzel Cookies
- 4 sheets puff pastry thawed, 4 x 4 inches, 10 x 10 cm
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons cream
- ⅓ cup demerara sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F or 320 °F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the four sheets of puff pastry on top of each other.4 sheets puff pastry
- With a rolling pin, roll out the dough into a square of 8 x 8 inches (20 x 20 cm).
- Cut the dough into strips about ¾ inch (1.5 cm) thick. This works well with a pizza cutter if you have one.
- Place a strip before you and fold the first end towards the center. Then, repeat for the other end.
- Place the pretzels on a baking tray. Keep them about 1 inch (2 cm) apart.
- Mix the cream with the egg yolk and brush the top of the pretzels with it.1 egg yolk, 3 tablespoons cream
- Mix the sugar with the cinnamon and sprinkle it over the pretzels.⅓ cup demerara sugar, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Bake the pretzels in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
Pretzels are best eaten fresh.
- Room temperature - You can keep the pretzels for up to 3 days if you pack them airtight. They will become a little softer.