If you're looking for a delicious, easy-to-make, and authentically Asian-inspired meal, you'll love these grilled Teriyaki Chicken Skewers. This flavorful, barbecued dish is a great way to impress guests or to enjoy a delicious and satisfying meal. Perfect for any gathering. With just a few simple ingredients and an outdoor grill, you can enjoy the fantastic taste of Teriyaki Chicken Skewers.
Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Skewers
Are you a fan of Asian meals but looking for something different? Look no further than these Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Skewers! This delicious and easy recipe will have you barbecuing all summer long! This is an excellent option for any outdoor gathering with its savory, sweet, and smoky flavors.
With a marinade of homemade teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, and ginger, these tasty chicken skewers will surely be a hit with family and friends. Plus, they're as simple as marinating, skewering, and grilling! So why wait? (And if it's cold outside for summer grilling parties. Use an indoor grill pan).
And do you want to combine chicken teriyaki skewers with other recipes? Then look at this page with all kinds of BBQ recipes, such as grilled caprese kebab, Italian grilled chicken breast, or mustard soy sauce chicken skewers from the BBQ.
What do you need for Chicken Teriyaki Kabobs?
To prepare these Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Skewers, you require the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
- Soy sauce - Use Japanese soy sauce, Kecap Asin, or light soy sauce (available at the Asian Supermarket). These are salty soy sauces.
- Ginger, garlic - Seasonings in the marinade
- Brown Sugar - To sweeten the sauce. Brown sugar is also used because it gives a caramelized flavor to the sauce.
- Sesame oil - Dark brown roasted sesame oil with an intense sesame flavor.
Chicken Kabobs ingredients
- Chicken breast - For this recipe, I used chicken breast. But chicken breast fillets or boneless skinless chicken thighs are, of course, also possible.
- Red onion - Has a deep red, almost purple skin, slightly thinner than the skin of a regular onion. It is somewhat less sharp in taste and has a beautiful color (the eye also wants something)
- Bell peppers - The taste of Bell peppers (paprika) depends on the ripening process. Green pepper (unripe) is bitter and pungent. The ripening then goes from yellow to orange to red bell peppers. This last one is the sweetest. The red variant has been used in this recipe, but choose according to your taste. Sweet point pepper is really delicious.
- Pineapple - Is a tropical fruit that tastes wonderfully fresh and sweet. The flesh is beautiful yellow. The most delicious is fresh pineapple, but if it is not easy to get hold of, you can also use pineapple in its juice.
- Cherry tomatoes - Buy the best cherry tomatoes you can get.
How to prepare Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs
You can find a printable recipe with a detailed description at the bottom of this blog.
- Mix the marinade in a large bowl: soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, sesame oil, and garlic.
- Place chicken into the marinade and put everything in the refrigerator (covered with plastic wrap) for two hours.
- Meanwhile, cut the fruit and vegetables into equal pieces (the same size as your meat).
- Now thread the vegetables, fruit, and pieces of chicken onto the skewers alternately. Grill the kebab on a hot grill for 6 minutes on both sides, and until cooked through (core temperature 165 °F (ca. 74 °C)).
Serve the teriyaki chicken kebabs with rice, and a fresh cucumber salad or as part of your next summer BBQ gathering.
Garnish with green onions or sesame seeds.
Tips, Substitutions, and Variations
When making grilled teriyaki skewers, there are some points that you should pay attention to. I have summarized them for you in some handy tips:
- Cut the chicken pieces about the same size. This way, the parts are ready at the same time, and you don't accidentally have raw meat on your stick. You're not waiting for food poisoning, are you?
- Place skewers on the BBQ and grill for about 6 minutes per side. Check the core temperature, which should be 165 °F (ca. 74 °C). When they are cooked, take them off as you don't want them to get dry.
- You mix the oil with the marinade because you grill the Shish kebab. This way, it burns less quickly.
- Serve with rice or as part of your next summer BBQ gathering.
- If you use metal skewers, brush them with oil beforehand. If you use wooden skewers, pre-soak them in water for 30 minutes to prevent them from burning.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Watch How to Make It
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Delicious Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Skewers
- ⅔ cup Japanese soy sauce
- ⅓ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 inch fresh ginger grated
- 1 clove garlic squeezed
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
Grilled Teriyaki Chicken skewers
- 3 chicken breasts or boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 red onion cut into quarters
- 1 red bell pepper diced, sweet point pepper is also delicious
- ½ pound pineapple diced
- 6 cherry tomatoes
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Mix the soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, sesame oil, and garlic.⅔ cup Japanese soy sauce, ⅓ cup dark brown sugar, 1 inch fresh ginger, 1 clove garlic, 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Heat the marinade in a small saucepan over medium heat, so the sugar dissolves, and let it cool.
- Cut the chicken into pieces of equal size and mix them into the marinade.3 chicken breasts
- Let the chicken marinate in the fridge for two hours.
Prepare Shish Kebab
- Drain the chicken.
- Thread a piece of bell pepper, chicken, pineapple, chicken, onion, chicken, cherry tomatoes, and chicken on each skewer and finish with a part of bell pepper.1 red onion, 1 red bell pepper, ½ pound pineapple, 6 cherry tomatoes
- Preheat the grill (or barbecue) until hot.
- Grill the teriyaki chicken skewers for 6 minutes on both sides until the internal temperature reaches 165 °F (ca. 74 °C).
- Optional: garnish with spring onions.
- Cut the meat into pieces that are about the same size. This way, the parts are ready at the same time, and you don't accidentally have raw meat on your stick.
- Grill for about 6 minutes per side. Check the core temperature, which should be 165 °F / 74 °C) When they are cooked, take them off as you don't want them to get dry.
- Preparation in advance - The skewers can be prepared in the morning and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Refrigerator (grilled) - Two days covered in the fridge.
- Freezer - Due to the fresh fruit and vegetables, it is not recommended to freeze the Chicken Teriyaki skewers
- Reheat - Heat the chicken skewers in the microwave for 60 seconds, or until warm. You can also bake them in a pan or heat them in the oven (in an oven dish covered with aluminum foil) at 350 °F (ca. 177 °C).
Leave a Reply