This recipe contains crispy raisin French toast baked on two sides in an airy egg mixture. And instead of sugar, sprinkle the French toast with a delicious sweet beer sauce.
Old bread, we don't have (fortunately) much leftovers. No, in our family of five a bread per day is no exception. Not that I eat a lot of bread, but growing teenagers ...
But very occasionally it happens that there is still some bread left. And by then you can use it easily t make French toast. Tasty bread soaked in egg, sprinkled with a little bit of sugar. But in the beer week I try to give French toast my own twist of course. So I started to use the egg mixture instead of milk with a little beer. I replaced the sugar with a beer sauce. It was a delicious lunch, which only I enjoyed (because yes under 18 no ...).
- this time I had currant bread, so I used that. But this is also very tasty with white or brown bread.
- this is a sweet lunch dish I used a sweet brown castle beer. You can also use another sweet type of beer, for example cassis beer.
- you don't want crunchy sugar sauce so use a liquid sweetener or icing sugar to sweeten the sauce. I chose honey.
It's a good taste!
Recipe French toast in beer
French toast with beer sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon orange zest grated
- 12 tablespoons beer heavy beer, such as castle beer
- 1 egg size L
- 2 slices raisin bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Put the honey, the orange peel and the beer in a blender and mix until frothy.
- Beat the egg with 3 tablespoons of castle beer.
- Soak the raisin bread on both sides.
- Melt the butter in the pan and brown the sandwiches on both sides.
- Serve the French toast with a dash of sauce.