Appetizers are great when served at a party. Or a buffet. This goat cheese appetizer with honey and walnuts from the oven will be a hit when you serve them.
Appetizers are great when served at a party. Or a (Mediterranean) buffet. This goat cheese appetizer with honey and walnuts from the oven will be a hit when you serve them. You can make them in advance, store them in the refrigerator and just pop them in the oven before serving.
In the past years I made this snack also as a one hap starter, when I have an informal dinner with friends. Just nice and easy with lots of fun and laughter. And they are always surprised when they bite through the crispy outside and then taste the creamy filling. A delicious filling, because goat cheese, honey and walnuts is a golden trio. While typing this I just want to make them again today (and maybe I will).
When I serve these appetizers (or any time when I use filo pastry, all of the times at least one person tells me why they'd rather not work with it). That's because the dough breaks easily and that can be a threshold for using it in recipes. This certainly doesn't need to be the case. I love to share my tips with you, so the tearing is minimized and you can surprise everyone with your own goat cheese appetizer with honey and walnuts. Success with it!
What is phyllo
This specific recipe calls for phyllo dough (or pastry). Phyllo pastry is mainly made of flour and water. It is a dough which is rolled out very thin. In order to prevent the sticking of the sheets of dough flour is dusted between the sheets. You can see that when you're using it. Because normally there is no use of fats fillo pastry it contains less calories as puff pastry (and it's also a bit crispier (though of course you add a little oil between the layers before you going to bake).
Using phyllo is perhaps more difficult as puff pastry, but if you use the following tips, you will find that it will be a lot easier.
- Defrost the phyllo dough in the refrigerator. Cold dough is less sticky, so take it out of the refrigerator and use it immediate.
- When phyllo dough gets wet, it sticks and tears faster. A dry surface is therefore required (dust it with flour).
- Always make sure that you leave the filo pastry, as long as possible in the package. When taking it out wrap it immediately in a slightly damp cloth, so that the dough does not dry (otherwise you couldn't take the sheets apart). Make the cloth only slightly damp and not wet, otherwise the sheets will get wet and are going to stick together.
It's a good taste!
Recipe goat cheese appetizer with honey and
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Goat cheese appetizer with honey and walnuts
- 10 sheets phyllo dough
- 2 tablespoons walnuts
- 60 grams soft goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Preheat the ovento 180 degrees Celsius.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Defrost the filo pastry in the refrigerator and keep it there until use.
- Coarsely chop the walnuts and toast in a dry frying pan until it smells nutty.
- Turn off the heat and add the nuts to a bowl together with the goat cheese, cream and honey. Mix well.
- Roll 10 balls of goat cheese mixture.
- Place a slice of phyllo in front of you and halve it.
- Brush one half with olive oil and place the other half on it.
- Place a cheese ball in the center and fold the dough so the package is closed.
- Place the packet on the baking sheet and repeat until you've made all the appetizers.
- Slide the snacks in the oven and bake in the middle of oven until they are golden brown, in about 10 minutes.
Leave a Reply