A delicious sweet and savory topping or side dish (whatever you choose) that is always tasty: caramelized onions. Delicious on a hamburger, with a hot dog, on a pizza, or with cheese.
The onions are slowly caramelized until golden brown and soft. Then they are flavored. You must have this recipe in your basic repertoire because you can use it often!
The Ultimate Guide to a Homemade Delicacy: Caramelized Onions
I have a guilty pleasure for caramelized onions. You make me so happy with that. Delicious on a good hamburger or hot dog, but you know you can also use it as a pizza topping? Or as a side dish with a cheese board.
It is a very easy recipe, and the most challenging part is cutting the onions. Then keep it dry. I've tried everything, running water, extractor hood on, all windows open. If anyone has any tips, I'd love to hear them!
Still, this doesn't stop me from making this at least once a week. That says enough about how delicious this is. So, make this delicious side dish / topping yourself and enjoy!
What do you need for Caramelized Onions?
To prepare these Caramelized onions, you require the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
- Butter: Fry the onions in the butter. This caramelizes them and makes them nice and creamy.
- Onions: I usually use yellow onions. But you can use any kind. A shallot ensures that the onion sauce becomes a bit sharper. A red onion softens it up a bit.
- Brown sugar: The molasses in this sugar gives you a delicious caramel flavor.
- Honey: Combined with the natural sugars of the onions and the brown sugar, really irresistible. The three different sweets give an incredible depth.
- Red wine vinegar: For making a sweet-sour caramel. Otherwise, the sweetness will dominate too much.
- Thyme: Use fresh or dried thyme to give a wonderful warm aroma.
How to prepare Perfect Caramelized Onions
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan. Add the chopped onions and sprigs of thyme and cook until the onions are lightly browned and soft. About 10 minutes on low heat. Stir occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper, and add the sugar. Fry until the onions turn brown.
- Pour in the honey.
- And now also add the vinegar to extinguish everything. Now let it come to a boil, and then lower the heat. Simmer until the sauce has thickened.
Tips, Substitutions, and Variations
- Replace the red wine vinegar with balsamic glaze.
- Herbs: Give some extra flavor. Try with rosemary or oregano.
- Tip: Heat a Camembert cheese in the oven until the inside is melted, and serve with the caramelized onions. Or cut a baguette into slices, smear it with goat cheese, and spread some caramelized onions on top.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
- 2 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 3 onions chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- ½ tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Melt the butter in a frying pan2 tablespoons butter
- Place the onions and thyme sprigs in a skillet and cook over low heat, about 10 minutes, until lightly browned and softened.3 onions, 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Add salt, pepper, and sugar and mix well. Let the sugar melt, and lightly brown the onions.¼ teaspoon salt, ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper, 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- Now add the honey and vinegar.½ tablespoon honey, 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Bring to the boil and simmer until the onions and sauce are well thickened.
Let the caramelized onions cool quickly.
- Refrigerator: Store in a clean jar, covered. This keeps them good for up to five days.
- Freezer: Place the caramelized onions in a freezer bag or box. This way, you can store them for up to 2 months. Then, let it thaw in the refrigerator.