This recipe for a hamburger with bun the luxe is easy, fast and really delicious. This is really nice when made on a bbq in summer days or skottelbraai.
There is one dish that my eldest son loves: A hamburger with bun. He loves it (of course) with french fries, but if we try to keep things a little bit healthier, we eat a salad or roasted potatoes as a side dish.
We try to keep the hamburger as healthy as possible, by taking a quality hamburger and combine it with lettuce, cucumber and tomato.
On vacation we've got a skottelbraai. A very popular sort of barbecue in Holland. But you can also use the skottelbraai as a big frying pan. Today a recipe with the skottelbraai: a hamburger with bun the luxe.
- By pre-roasting the hamburger bun, it will become less soft and soggy when adding the hamburger.
- Feta is a Greek cheese and only the Feta cheese from Greece which is made from sheep's milk (possibly supplemented with goat's milk) may bear this name. Feta cheese has matured for at least 60 days and is very full of flavor. The original feta is made from raw milk and therefore you better not eat this during your pregnancy. Always read the label carefully.
- If you can't get a real feta cheese, you can get white cheese cubes in the supermarket. Less intense in taste, but certainly good to use.
- By tearing the lettuce instead of cutting it, you won't get ugly cut surfaces.
It's a good taste!
Recipe Hamburger with bun the
Hamburger with bun the luxe
- 4 hamburgers the best you can get
- 4 hamburger buns
- 2 tomatoes
- 4 slices bacon
- 50 grams feta cheese
- salt and pepper
- Wash the lettuce and tomatoes.
- Tear the lettuce in sizes just a little bit bigger than the bun.
- Slice the tomato.
- Cut the buns through.
- Crumble the feta with you fingers and add a little bit of salt and pepper.
- Cut with a sharp knife a little bag in the hamburger. Put one tablespoon of feta in the hamburger and press the sides tight, so the cheese won't leek out.
- Turn on the skottelbraai (or barbecue).
- Bake the bacon crispy and leave it to drain the excess fat on kitchen paper.
- Grill the inside of the buns, until you see grill marks.
- Lay each bun on a plate. On the bottom of the bun, put the lettuce.
- Grill the hamburger, about 3 minutes on each side, until it's done.
- Put the hamburger on the lettuce.
- Top with bacon and tomato and as last add the bun.
- N.B. Off season when you don't have a skottelbraai or barbecue on hand, you can use a frying pan instead.
What did I use to prepare this
Kitchen utensils I’ve used to prepare this recipe. When you follow the link you will go to another page with a short explanation of each item. It’s also possible to order directly if you’re in need.
- Grill pan / bbq / skottelbrooi