A delicious oven dish: this recipe for whole roast chicken with potatoes from the oven. An easy recipe. The spices and added bacon gives it a lot of flavor.
The best chicken is most of the times a whole chicken roast. The chicken becomes tender, juicy and the meat slides of the bone. It's also a cheap way, because a whole chicken is cheaper than a chicken breast. And you've got leftovers that can easily be used in other meals (like: chicken stock, which can be used as a base in numerous recipes). And an extra plus roasted chicken smells great!
A chicken in the oven gives a great flavor which spreads through the house. When it's cold outside and you go in and get a scent of roasted chicken you warming-up immediately (and you get hungry in an instant).
The only difficult part in the preparation of whole chicken is that the whole chicken has to be done. Nothing is more annoying then to put the chicken on the table and it's still slightly raw on the inside. A no go in food safety.Therefor I always use a thermometer. But I also use a good trick of Jamie Oliver (the lemon trick). And that trick is written down on the recipe below, that's adapted from Jamie Oliver.
- you put a hot lemon in the cavity of the chicken it wil create steam and will also cook the chicken from the inside.
- you do not have a meat thermometer, grab a thick needle and stick it deep in the thickest part of the chicken. Then press on the chicken flesh
- so moisture will come out of the needle opening. If that liquid is clear, then the chicken is done.
- Fresh herbs are best, so you use as these are available. But otherwise you can use dried herbs instead (1 teaspoon of each).
- You can substitute the potato with sweet potato. A real recommendation.
- I love to serve a green salad like this arugula salad with pistachio or
- an Italian salad with melon, pancetta and arugula or
- a warm side dish like green beans with herb breadcrumbs
- The chicken can be stored in the refrigerator (covered with plastic foil) for 2 days. I usually separate the leftover chicken from the bones. I then add the bones and flavors in a soup pan. I make a delicious chicken stock with them by, with addition from other (leftover) veggies, herbs and an onion, simmer it for 3 hours. I sieve the stock and cool it down quickly and store it overnight in the refrigerator. The next day I prepare a delicious chicken soup with the stock and leftover chicken.
- The potatoes can be stored for 1 day in the refrigerator (seperate from the chicken) covered with plastic foil . It's great to bake them in some butter the next day (I just love fried potatoes)
Other delicious chicken
- some chicken soup inspiration can be found in this wrap up with delicious recipes
- Chicken casserole gratin
- Italian flavored chicken breast
- Crispy Parmesan chicken
It's a good taste!
Recipe Roast chicken with
Did you make this roast chicken with potatoes? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram or twitter . I love it when you make one of my recipes and I’m looking forward to look it up. You can also share your recipes on my Facebook channel or pin this recipe on Pinterestso you can find it easy next time. See you soon!
Roast chicken with potatoes
- 1 Whole chicken about 1.2 kg
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 5 twigs thyme
- 5 twigs oregano
- 1 bulb garlic
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 kg potatoes Roseval is delicious for this recipe
- 10 slices bacon
- Mix 2 tablespoons olive oil with the butter, salt and pepper.
- Rub the chicken inside out with the mixture and put back in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Wash the potatoes and slice them in half and afterwards quarter each half.
- Heat salted water and when boiling add the potatoes, lemon and garlic.
- Bring back to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.
- Pour the water out, get the lemon and garlic out and dry the potatoes on low heat for half a minute.
- With a knife punch the lemon and put it in the back of the chicken.
- Add the garlic and the thyme and oregano.
- Lay the chicken in the oven dish and put in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Get the chicken from the oven and put on a plate.
- Take the potato wedges and lay in the chicken fat in the oven dish.
- Get the needles of the rosemary sprigs and mix with the potatoes.
- Make a whole in the middle and put the chicken back. Take bacon slices and package the chicken with the bacon. Cover it well.Put everything back in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Check if the chicken is done with the thermometer and get it out of the oven. Therefor stick the thermometer in the thickest part of the chicken and measure. It should be at least 80 degrees Celsius for a chicken to be done.
- Take the lemon, garlic, thyme and oregano from the inside of the chicken.
- Mix the garlic with a drip of lemon juice and a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Take the bacon of the chicken and crumble above the potatoes.
- Smear the chicken with the garlic mixture and cover the chicken with foil so the chicken can rest and flavor can develop.
- Serve! This dish is great when accompanied with carrots or green beans!
What did I use to prepare this
Kitchen utensils I’ve used to prepare this recipe. When you follow the link you will go to another page with a short explanation of each item. It’s also possible to order directly if you’re in need.