A Serbian savory cake recipe: Katmer pie with spinach and ricotta filling. A delicious vegetarian meal you won't stop eating.
Even though the Daring Kitchen has ceased to exist, I continue to make all the recipes that have been there. Such a delicious recipes I definitely want to try. This recipe for Katmer Pie was given to us for the Daring challenge of February 2016 and written bij Mikilca from Mimi's Kingdom food. A for me unknown sort of savory quiche that reminds me of a Spanakopita, a Greek savory pie with spinach, but with a different kind of dough.
So I was very curious about this recipe. With the Greek spanakopita recipe, the dough is crispy, but does not add much flavor. It seems to be more packing of the stuffing. The dough for the Katmer Pie is creamy and tasty. A nice combination with the filling whereas you will have to keep eating. I knew spinach and ricotta were a great combination, but this dough is a really good addition.
- Make sure you melt the butter and let is tand for 5 minutes. The solid particles will sink to the bottom and if you pour the butter very carefully into a bowl (leaving the solid particles in the pan), you will get Ghee which you need for this recipe.
- Taste the spinach ricotta mixture and add salt and pepper. Spinach and ricotta are flat flavors that may use a lot of spice.
- Bake the Katmer pie in an oven with top and bottom heat, then it won't dry out, but remains beautifully creamy.
- You just couldn't eat the whole quiche. Don't worry, you can freeze it afterwards. The Katmer pie gots a 2 months shelf life in the freezer. Just heat in the oven and have a nice second meal.
It's a good taste!
Recipe Katmer pie with spinach ricotta
Watch How to Make It
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Katmer pie with spinach ricotta filling
- 500 grams flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 350 ml water lukewarm
- 45 grams ghee melted, see tips
- flour to sprinkle on your working bench
Spinach ricotta filling
- 500 grams ricotta
- 500 grams spinach fresh
- 4 eggs size L
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons ghee melted
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Put the flour, water and salt in a bowl and mix until you have a soft dough.
- Dust your work surface with some flour and knead the dough even further until it is beautifully elastic. When the dough sticks, add some extra flour.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces and allow them to rest for 10 minutes under a towel.
- Grab a piece of dough and roll it out into a round shape until it is about 3 to 4 mm thick. Repeat that for all pieces.
- Take a round of dough and brush it with the ghee. Put a second round of dough on top.
- Brush the second round of dough with ghee and place a third round on top. Place this pile of 3 slices of dough aside and repeat for the remaining 3 rounds of dough.
- Let the two stacks of dough rest for 10 minutes under a towel.
- Grab a pile of dough and roll it out to a thickness of 6-7 mm in a round shape.
- Put a glass in the middle and cut with a sharp knife from the outside 8 times to the edge of the glass (divide them over the round dough).
- Brush the top with ghee
- Fold a triangle to the middle (see photo)
- Continue until you have folded all the pieces in.
- Allow the dough to rest under a tea towel and continue to make the filling.
Ricotta spinach filling
- Wash the spinach and cut into thin strips.
- Put it in a large bowl and add the eggs, salt and cheese.
- Mix everything well together. The best way for me is to knead the filling with my hands.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Brush a baking tin with the ghee.
- Grab a pile of dough and roll it out until you have the size of your baking tin and cover the tin with the dough.
- Spread the filling over the dough, keep about 2 cm from the side.
- Grab the second pile of dough, roll it out to the size of your baking shape and put it over the filling. Push the dough onto the other dough to stick it.
- Brush the dough with the ghee
- Cut the dough into squares with a sharp knife
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes and serve.