Oven roasted vegetables recipe, deliciously flavored with Italian herbs, oil and cheese. Baked in the oven so that all the aromas and flavors blend well. A top recipe for Christmas, Easter or any dinner party.
When I think of Christmas in my past, I think of roulade. One of the recipes that my mother was likely to make at Christmas dinner. Or ham, also a faithful table companion during the Christmas season. The desserts, I have a lot ice cream rolls eaten as dessert and as an appetizer we ate shrimp or salmon salad with cocktail sauce as only my mother can make it. That's just so good.
Christmas childhood memories
I remember enjoying the Christmas season, to go to church where I sang a lot of Christmas songs and after that it was really Christmas for me. The snow in my remembrance it was there was every year (though I see so little pictures with real snow) the family who came to visit and the beautifully decorated tree. I enjoy the Christmas fun. But I still can't remember what kind of vegetables we eat. Maybe they were not served (although I can't imagine my mother skipping vegetables) or they are repressed in my memory (;-)).
So now I'm making sure that my children can say that, hereby "Boys when you were young we ate oven roasted vegetables." So that problem is also solved.
How to roast vegetables in the oven?
Start by preheating the oven to 350 to 440 degrees Fahrenheit (180 to 220 degrees Celsius). Use 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees) with soft vegetables like zucchini, eggplant, tomato and fennel (as in this oven dish). With harder vegetables (carrot, bell pepper, green beans, onion and pumpkin) heat to 440 degrees Fahrenheit (220 degrees Celsius). The baking time will be 30 to 40 minutes
Place the vegetables on a baking tray and spread them so that all vegetables are cooked evenly. Toss the vegetables with oil and season with salt, pepper and other seasonings of your choice. Don't cover the vegetables because when you cover the vegetables they get soggy and you don't want that. But what to do when you find out your vegetables are getting too brown. Then cover them with aluminum foil, but remove that 5 minutes before your baking time is done, so that they've got time to dry.
Can you reheat left over roasted vegetables?
You certainly can. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit (230 degrees Celsius) and divide the vegetables over a baking tray. Drizzle with some olive oil and toss well. Bake them like this for 5 minutes until done.
Tip: do not reheat them in the steam oven or microwave. In addition, they become soft and moist and that is not tasty!
The ingredients for a roasted vegetable casseroles?
Hereby an overview of the ingredients you needed to prepare these oven roasted vegetables recipe.
How to prepare this oven roasted vegetables recipe?
An easy to follow printable recipe of this roasted vegetable casserole can be found at the bottom of this blog.
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius). Brush the casserole with oil. Slice the garlic through and rub the bottom and sides of the casserole dish so the veggies can absorb the garlic flavor.
Step 2: Cut the veggies in 1/4 inch (1/2 cm) thick slices. Do so for the zucchini, eggplant, fennel and tomatoes.
Step 3: Fill the casserole with vegetables slices. When the eggplant has a big diameter half the slices. First add the zucchini, then tomato, eggplant and fennel. Repeat this order. Then put the veggies in until the casserole dish is filled.
Step 4: Sprinkle the veggies with the remaining oil and spread the Italian herbs on top of the veggies. Put the grated cheese on top and put the casserole in the oven. Bake for 40 minutes.
💭 Top tips
- Make sure every vegetable slice gots the same thickness. This way the veggies will all be done at the same time. Egg plants can have a big diameter. Cut those slices in half.
- Bake the casserole for 40 minutes. Check every 10 minutes to see if your casserole is baking well. When it gets to brown put some aluminium foil on top. Take it away five minutes before the end of the cooking time.
- To get even more flavor use Roma tomatoes (or other tomatoes which got more flavor) instead of a 'common' tomato.
- If you don't have fresh Italian herbs, use 2 teaspoons dried herbs.
🥘 Other delicious recipes
This is a delicious recipe to serve at your next dinner party. Recipes that are great combined with this are:
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram or twitter . I love it when you make one of my recipes and I’m looking forward to look it up. You can also share your recipes on my Facebook channel or pin this recipe on Pinterestso you can find it easy next time. See you soon!
Oven roasted vegetables recipe
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 zucchini
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 eggplant
- 2 bulbs fennel
- 15 grams Italian herbs
- 50 grams cheese old cheese preferably
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius.)
- Grease the baking dish with oil.
Oven roasted vegetables recipe
- Cut the garlic clove in half and rub the sides and bottom of the dish with the garlic.
- Cut the zucchini, tomatoes, eggplant and fennel bulbs into slices about ¼ inch (½ cm) thick.
- Arrange the sliced vegetables alternately (so first a slice of zucchini, then tomato, eggplant and finally fennel and repeat that) in the bowl.
- Drizzle with the rest of the oil.
- Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and grate the cheese on top.
- Slide the casserole in the oven and bake for 40 minutes. Check every 10 minutes if the vegetables won't become to brown. In that case cover with aluminum foil.