A delicious vegan vegetable recipe from Leek with curry and chili. A Sri Lankan recipe with a lot of flavor. Only 5 ingredients.
Sri Lankan recipe
Sri Lanka's cuisine is versatile and has many Indian influences. Curries of all shapes and sizes are therefore widely available.The vast majority of the population of Sri Lanka is Buddhist and therefore the inhabitants are often vegetarian. It's a delicious kitchen to look into when you want to serve a meal without meat.
Leek, a versatile vegetable
I use leek quite often in all kinds of recipes. In delicious lunch recipes such as this cauliflower rice, spinach and leek oven dish, as a soup: vegetarian leek cabbage soup or as a seasoning for dinner, such as this delicious recipe for spaghetti with leek and mascarpone. But nowhere on my site had I used this delicious recipe as a vegetable side dish. So today that will change.
Why you should use leek
For my first recipe I could go the Dutch way and serve slices of leek with a cream sauce. But why not go international? Because we love the bami goreng recipe I served this leek with curry and chili as a side dish for extra vitamins, instead of the usual salad that goes with it.
📖 Variations and substitutes
You can vary with this recipe in all kinds of different ways. You could try to:
- substitute leek with celery
- use a shallot instead of a yellow onion for even more flavor.
- Substitute curry with 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder
💭 Top tips
- Cleaning leeks is very easy. Cut the top 2 cm of the leek. Remove the outer blades. Cut vertically through the leeks from top to bottom (don't cut the bottom 2 cm). Turn the leek a quarter and cut again from top to bottom, (but again don't cut the bottom 2 cm).The different layers are now easily accessible and you simply wash the leek until it's sand-free.
- If you want a milder variant, reduce the chili flakes to 1/8 teaspoon.
⏲️ What to do with left overs?
This leek with curry and chili can be stored really well:
- Cool down to room temperature and store up to 2 days, covered, in the refrigerator.
- Cool down to room temperature and store in an airtight container. Freeze the leek with curry and chili up to 2 months.
🥘 Other delicious recipes
If you like this recipe, you might like these to:
- Instead of tropical carrots serve this leek with your Appam and curry for a Sri Lankan dinner.
- It's a great side dish when serving sirloin steak with soy sauce
- Delicious as side dish with honey garlic chicken
- Serve with spicy beef and white rice
Vegan Chili and curry leek fry
This recipe is:
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon curry madras
- 2 leeks or if they are small 3 leeks
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
- salt to taste
- Wash the leek so that it is clean and cut into small rings.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok and then add the onion.
- Cook for 2 minutes and add the curry madras.
- Mix well and continue baking for 1 minute.
- Spoon the leek rings into the onion mixture and mix well.
- Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes to soften the leeks.
- Add chili flakes to the veggies and season with salt.
- Mix everything well and serve immediately.