Juicy and saucy teriyaki meatballs with a lot of taste. An easy recipe with the delicious flavors of Japanese cuisine. Are you going to eat these teriyaki meatballs for a delicious dinner with rice or serve as a snack at the next party (and they will be a huge hit)?
I only got to know Japanese cuisine at a later age, when I was already dating my husband. It was not a kitchen that we knew at home when I was young. But after the first time, I became a Japanese food lover. And it has become one of my favorite cuisines. The preparation on the Tepanyaki plate, the pure flavors, easy recipes, it's a Wonderful experience every time.
And Teriyaki is surely one of the most famous signature dishes from this world cuisine. And today I'm making easy teriyaki meatballs stewed in the sauce. One of the most delicious recipes I know. And I like to serve them as a party appetizer but also as a main dish at night with some white rice topped with delicious teriyaki sauce and a green salad. Such an easy dinner with flavorful meatballs. I think it's so delicious that I'm sharing the recipe of one of our family favorites with you!
What is teriyaki?
Teriyaki is a cooking method from Japanese cuisine where fish or meat is fried (yaki) in a marinade that contains soy sauce, sugar and rice wine. The sauce gives it a nice shine (Teri).
You can buy teriyaki sauce ready-made, but once you make this homemade teriyaki sauce recipe, you will see how easy it is (and that it really does taste so much better!).
Ingredients saucy meatball teriyaki style
A full list of ingredients can be found at the end of this blog. (NB normally you see a nice picture of the ingredients here, but when I was filming this recipe, I forgot to push the button. Another note on my to-do list 😉 )
- Ground Beef - Ground beef is used in this recipe. But you can also use ground pork or ground chicken. Make sure you use natural (unseasoned) ground meat. Or use lean ground turkey and prepare teriyaki turkey meatballs. You already add enough spices to give the meatballs taste.
- Sweet Chili Sauce - That's ready-made and for sale in the supermarket. It gives a bit of a kick, but because it's a little sweet, it doesn't put your mouth on fire. But if you want more spice, add ½ teaspoon of sriracha.
- Saké - This is a Japanese rice wine and is part of the sauce. If you don't have saké, you can also use dry sherry.
- Soy Sauce - Use salty soy sauce (Asin) or Japanese Soy Sauce. No Ketjap Manis or Ketjap Medja which are both sweet soy sauces. The sauce will become too sweet that way.
- Dark brown sugar - Molasses has been added to this sugar, which gives it a caramel taste. And that gives this sauce just a little more depth.
Preparing Teriyaki meatball recipe with sauce
A simple recipe that you can easily print can be found at the bottom of the blog.
- Take a large bowl and put the ground beef in it. Add the strips of scallion, crushed garlic clove, egg, breadcrumbs, salt, ginger powder, sesame oil and sweet chili sauce. Knead until everything is just mixed (not too long, otherwise the meatballs will become too firm).
- Roll the meat into small balls with a diameter of about 1 inch (3 cm). In a saucepan mix water, sake, crushed garlic, brown sugar and sesame oil and bring slowly to the boil. Mix the corn starch with water to a paste and put the corn starch mixture to it in the saucepan. Cook for 1 minute while stirring, then turn off the heat.
- Heat some oil in the nonstick skillet and fry the meatballs on medium-high heat, to brown on all sides.
- Pour the warm teriyaki sauce over the Asian meatballs and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and put a lid on the pan. Simmer the balls in the sauce for 25 minutes. Check in between and add some extra water if the sauce gets too thick. Serve the juicy meatballs with the remaining green onions (and some sesame seeds if you like).
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Watch How to Make It
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Saucy Teriyaki Meatballs (with Ground Beef, Easy recipe)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic minced finely, or 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 stalks scallions sliced in thin strips
- 1 egg size L
- 50 grams bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger (or 2 teaspoons fresh ginger)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sweet chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
Teriyaki Sauce Ingredients
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons sake
- 3 cloves garlic minced finely
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 stalks scallion sliced strips
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds (roasted, optional)
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- In a bowl mix ground beef, minced garlic, sliced scallion, egg, breadcrumbs, salt, ground ginger, sesame oil and sweet chili sauce.1 pound ground beef, 2 cloves garlic, 2 stalks scallions, 1 egg, 50 grams bread crumbs, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon ground ginger, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, 1 teaspoon sweet chili sauce
- Knead until well mixed, but not too long, otherwise the meat becomes firm.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- Roll balls of ground beef mixture and fry quickly, so it browns on all sides (they don't need to be done).
- In a saucepan, mix the ingredients for the sauce: water, sake, minced garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar and sesame oil, and bring slowly to a boil.1 cup water, 4 tablespoons sake, 3 cloves garlic, ½ cup soy sauce, ¼ cup dark brown sugar, 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Mix the cornstarch with three tablespoons of cold water and pour the cornstarch mixture with the sauce. Let it boil for 1 minute until it thickens slightly and then turn off the heat.1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Pour the sauce on top of the meatballs, cover the pan, and let the meatballs simmer for 20 to 25 minutes in the sauce.
- (check every 5 minutes and if necessary add some water if the sauce thickens too much.)
- Serve the meatballs with the remaining scallions and, optional, with some roasted sesame seeds.2 teaspoons sesame seeds, 1 stalks scallion
5. Storage -
- Refrigerator - These meatballs covered in the fridge for 3 days. Warm them up in the sauce on low heat.
- Freezer - You can also freeze these meatballs. Store them in a freezer box with sauce. Let thaw in the refrigerator. Heat them on low heat until they are warm. Sprinkle with some fresh scallion before serving.
6. Nutritional value- The nutritional value is shown per meatball with teriyaki sauce.