Making chicken korma with coconut milk from scratch is so easy. You can quickly put this classic on the table. The chicken is mildly seasoned and simmered in a thick sauce. Real comfort food. And by marinating it beforehand in a spicy yogurt marinade, the meat has extra flavor. Lovely and pure, homemade.
Chicken Korma with Coconut Milk
Indian food, with its delicious spices, is always tasty. At least you can wake me up at night for that. And this recipe is not difficult to make yourself, so throw out the store-bought bags and sacks and start yourself now. Then you can prepare a delicious Indian chicken korma within an hour (+ marinating time, but you can also do that the day before).
This recipe is delicious with basmati rice, a cucumber salad, and garlic naan bread.
Finish the dish with coriander. If you don't like that (because there are two kinds of people: you like cilantro, or you don't like it at all), then you just use parsley. Nice and fresh.
What do you need for Indian Chicken Korma?
To prepare this Chicken Korma with coconut milk, you need the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
- Pepper, garlic, and ginger - The basic spices of this curry. Gives a lot of flavor to the marinade and chicken.
- Garam masala - An Indian roasted spice mix. Every region has its method of preparation. You can get it in almost any supermarket nowadays.
- Chicken breast - Use boneless and skinless chicken breast.
- Yogurt - Add yogurt to the marinade to make the meat more tender. The acid will break down the proteins in the chicken breast. And that makes your chicken softer.
- Coconut Milk - To give the sauce a creamy taste with a hint of coconut. It makes the curry wonderfully soft. Use creamed coconut.
- Cilantro or Parsley - Sprinkle over the Chicken Korma after stewing for extra flavor. I give you the choice of cilantro or parsley. Cilantro is kind of a unique herb. For some, it resembles a combination of lemon with parsley (so nice and fresh). The other experiences it as a soap taste. If you belong to the latter group, use parsley.
- Almond shavings - give a sweet, nutty taste. You can also use finely chopped cashew nuts.
How to prepare Chicken Coconut Korma
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog.
- Place the pepper, garlic, ginger, and garam masala in a bowl.
- And stir in the yogurt to get a thick sauce.
- Stir the chicken cubes into the marinade and let it marinate for at least 4 hours (but you can also do this overnight).
- Fry the chicken briefly in a frying pan and add the marinade and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and put a lid on the pan. Simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the cover, increase the heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes (this will thicken the sauce).
- Marinate for at least 4 hours. The chicken is cooked quickly and needs more time to absorb all the flavors.
- Sometimes a few drops of rose water are added to Kip Korma for extra fragrance. I don't like that, but if you want this, add it.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Chicken Korma with Coconut Milk
Use the buttons to adjust the number of people.
- 1 red chili peppers deseeded and sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic chopped fine
- ½ inch fresh ginger fresh, grated
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 pound chicken breast cut in cubes of 2 x 2 cm
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons Almond slivers Optional
- Add pepper, garlic, ginger, garam masala, and yogurt to a bowl.1 red chili peppers, 2 cloves garlic, ½ inch fresh ginger, 2 teaspoons garam masala, 1 cup yogurt
- Keep stirring until everything is mixed well.
- Add the chicken and mix until all the chicken is covered.1 pound chicken breast
- Leave to marinate for 4 hours. You can also start marinating the night before.
- Heat some oil in a skillet. Take the chicken out of the marinade and fry until golden brown.1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- Add the coconut milk, chicken and marinate to a pan and bring to the boil. Cover the pan with a lid.2 cups coconut milk
- Turn the heat low and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Take the top off and turn the heat to medium. Let it boil for another 5 minutes (the sauce will slightly thicken)
- Serve and sprinkle some cilantro (or parsley) and (optional) almond slices on top.5 twigs cilantro, 2 tablespoons Almond slivers
- Marinate - The chicken can be marinated for up to 48 hours in the refrigerator. You could also add chicken and marinate it in a freezer box or bag. When defrosting, the chicken will marinate (let it defrost in the fridge)
- Refrigerator - Store the chicken korma covered for three days in the fridge.
- Freezer - Freeze the chicken curry for up to three months in the freezer. Let it thaw in the refrigerator.
- Reheat - Reheat the curry in the microwave or put it in a pot with a bit of water and reheat on medium