A delicious Indian rice recipe with chicken and full of spices. Chicken tikka biryani is a really flavorful dish.
Grace, one of our talented non-blogging Daring Kitchen members, was our Daring Cooks’ August hostess who shared with us some of her family’s tried and true Bengali Biryani recipes – all of them delicious and all of them prepared fresh from our own kitchens!
As you might know, I'm a participant in the daring kitchen. Why, because we are challenged every month to make, in my case, two recipes which, most of the time we usually don't make. And sometimes even don't hear of. And that's a lot of fun and quite surprising and gave me quite a bit of new recipes which I make more often.
A delicious Indian dinner
This month again a recipe I didn't know before Chicken Tikka Biryani. Of course, I've heard of Chicken tikka masala, made it quite a few times, but Biryani was unknown. But never mind, I just love Indian food and this recipe was so delicious. The wonderful spices combined with the tender chicken. Again a great recipe from Indian cuisine.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Chicken tikka biryani
- ½ kg chicken breast chopped, ½ kg
- 4 teaspoons tandoori marsala ground
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric ground
- ½ teaspoon curry powder ground
- ¾ teaspoon garam masala
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin ground
- ¾ teaspoon ground coriander ground
- 3 tablespoon yogurt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 5 cm fresh ginger peeled and minced fine
- 8 cloves garlic minced fine
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 550 gram basmati rice soaked for 30 minutes and drained
- 2 onions chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ground coriander fresh, chopped
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Mix 1 tablespoon (3 teaspoons) of the tandoori masala powder, ½ teaspoon each of turmeric, curry powder, garam masala, cumin, and coriander powder with the yogurt, lemon juice, half of the minced ginger and garlic, and ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Cover the chicken with the marinade, cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour or preferably overnight.
- Roast the chicken at hot 230°C/450°F/gas mark 8 for 15 minutes
- Melt the ghee with the oil.
- Add the onions, and the rest of the minced garlic and ginger.
- Cook on high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, 1 teaspoon tandoori masala, ½ teaspoon turmeric, ¼ teaspoon each garam masala, coriander powder, and cumin, and 1½ teaspoon salt.
- Cook on medium heat for 2 minutes, cover the pan and cook on low heat for 5 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Add the chilies, if using, and the cooked chicken.
- Cook on medium heat for 3 minutes, then cover the pan and cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the coriander and remove from heat.
- Drain and rinse the rice.
- Boil the rice with 6 cups (1½ l ) of water, then cover and lower the heat to a simmer for 5 minutes or until the rice is half cooked.
- Drain any remaining water.
- Alternate layers of rice and chicken in a large saucepan, starting and ending with rice.
- Cover the pan and cook over very low heat for 10-13 minutes until the rice is cooked.