A delicious recipe for a festive and great looking cake: Smarties KitKat cake. Easy to make, full of chocolate and very colourful. A cake where children and adults will be delighted.
My assignment for the food blog swap of November was to bake a recipe from the blog of Marina’s Bakery (Dutch blog). This blog is completely devoted to baking.
And there were delicious recipes on her site. But one took immediately my attention. Marina wrote a blog about her birthday cake. A real good looking cake photo accompanied the post. And at that precise time, my birthday party was in four days.
There's a party in town
That coincidence probably meant that I had to make just that cake. I showed the picture to my children and that made the final decision. So I choose to bake the Kit Kat Smarties cake. I used smarties instead of M & M due to the artificial colors used in M&M’s. But I kept the chocolate mousse, chocolate cake, and Kit Kat's (yes I know I'm a chocoholic).
The children at my birthday party ate the cake and there was one conclusion: Not only nice to see but also very delicious.
- A real nice touch to this cake is to take a ribbon and place it around the cake and finish it with a bow.
- If you don’t have a springform but a baking dish of 7.25 inches (18 cm) diameter, make sure to cover the bottom and sides of the baking dish with baking paper. The cake will be easier to get out after cooling down.
- The cake is done when you prick a skewer in the middle of the cake after baking time and it gets out clean and dry.
- Melt the chocolate au bain-marie. That means that you hang a heatproof bowl above boiling water (don't touch the water with the bowl). In the bowl, you can melt your chocolate.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Smarties KitKat cake
- springform 7¼ inches (18 cm) diameter
- 180 grams Milk Chocolate minimum 72 % cocoa
- 100 ml milk
- 200 grams butter roomtemperature
- 75 grams sugar
- 3 eggs large
- 200 grams self-rising flour
- 400 grams chocolate mousse
- 375 grams kit kat mini's
- 200 grams smarties
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Preheat the oven to 355 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius).
- Cover the bottom of the baking form with baking paper and brush the sides of the baking dish with butter.
- In a bowl pour the milk, add butter, and heat them au bain-Marie until the chocolate melted.
- Let the chocolate mixture cool down a bit.
- Beat the butter and sugar until it’s light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one by one, until they are fully incorporated.
- Whisk the chocolate mixture into the batter.
- With a spatula gently mix the self-raising flour into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish and bake for 45-55 minutes in the oven, until the cake is ready.
- Let the cake cool down to room temperature.
- Slice the cake horizontally, so you will get two layers.
- Smear one side with half of the chocolate mousse.
- Lay the other layer onto the chocolate mousse.
- Smear the top and side with the rest of the chocolate mousse.
- Place the kit-kats vertically around the cake. Sprinkle the smarties on the cake.