A delicious recipe for a festive and great looking cake: kit kat Smarties cake. Easy to make, full of chocolate and very colourful. A cake where children and adults will be delighted.
My assignment for the food blog swap of November was to bake a recipe from the blog of Marina’s Bakery (Dutch blog). This blog is completely devoted to baking.
And there were delicious recipes on her site. But one took immediately my attention. Marina wrote a blog about her birthday cake. A real good looking cake photo accompanied the post. And at that precise time, my birthday party was in four days.
There's a party in town
That coincidence probably meant that I had to make just that cake. I showed the picture to my children and that made the final decision. So I choose to bake the Kit Kat Smarties cake. I used smarties instead of M & M due to the artificial colors used in M&M’s. But I kept the chocolate mousse, chocolate cake, and Kit Kat's (yes I know I'm a chocoholic).
The children at my birthday party ate the cake and there was one conclusion: Not only nice to see but also very delicious.
💭 Top tips
- A real nice touch to this cake is to take a ribbon and place it around the cake and finish it with a bow.
- If you don’t have a springform but a baking dish of 7.25 inches (18 cm) diameter, make sure to cover the bottom and sides of the baking dish with baking paper. The cake will be easier to get out after cooling down.
- The cake is done when you prick a skewer in the middle of the cake after baking time and it gets out clean and dry.
- Melt the chocolate au bain-marie. That means that you hang a heatproof bowl above boiling water (don't touch the water with the bowl). In the bowl, you can melt your chocolate.
🥘 Other delicious recipes
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram or twitter . I love it when you make one of my recipes and I’m looking forward to look it up. You can also share your recipes on my Facebook channel or pin this recipe on Pinterest so you can find it easy next time. See you soon!
Kit kat smarties cake
- 180 grams chocolate minimum 72 % cocoa
- 100 ml milk
- 200 grams butter roomtemperature
- 75 grams sugar
- 3 eggs large
- 200 grams self-rising flour
- 400 grams chocolate mousse
- 375 grams kit kat mini's
- 200 grams smarties
- Preheat the oven to 355 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius).
- Cover the bottom of the baking form with baking paper and brush the sides of the baking dish with butter.
- In a bowl pour the milk, add butter, and heat them au bain-Marie until the chocolate melted.
- Let the chocolate mixture cool down a bit.
- Beat the butter and sugar until it’s light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one by one, until they are fully incorporated.
- Whisk the chocolate mixture into the batter.
- With a spatula gently mix the self-raising flour into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish and bake for 45-55 minutes in the oven, until the cake is ready.
- Let the cake cool down to room temperature.
- Slice the cake horizontally, so you will get two layers.
- Smear one side with half of the chocolate mousse.
- Lay the other layer onto the chocolate mousse.
- Smear the top and side with the rest of the chocolate mousse.
- Place the kit-kats vertically around the cake. Sprinkle the smarties on the cake.