Lemon meringue cupcakes are vanilla cupcakes filled with homemade lemon curd and topped with meringue. A delicious recipe!
Martha Stewart, I think one of the most famous women of the world. In the area of domestic issues such as cooking, cleaning, gardening and crafting she is an expert. But this will do her capacities too short.
Martha Stewart: a strong female
In addition to her expertise, she also managed to created a company worth millions. She has used all possible media to create her business as successful as possible. A woman with many skills. And as the Americans say: You love her or hate her.
I personally admire her strength, perseverance and positive outlook.
One of her signature desserts is a lemon meringue pie. And the lemon meringue cupcakes I'm going to make today are adapted from her book: Martha Stewart's Cupcakes. And I can tell you this: I understand after making these cupcakes why Martha Stewart a) is well known for her cooking skills and b) why this is one of her signature desserts.
Other Delicious Recipes
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Lemon meringue cupcakes
Pas met de knoppen het aantal personen aan.
Lemon curd (500 mL / 2 cups)
- 2 eggs
- 8 egg yolks
- 200 grams sugar
- 160 ml lemon juice about 6 lemons
- 30 gram butter unsalted, cut into small cubes, room temperature
- 375 grams flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 225 grams butter
- 400 grams sugar
- 4 eggs L, room temperature
- 3 lemons zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 220 mL buttermilk
- 330 grams sugar
- 160 mL water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 6 egg whites L, room temperature
- Mix the eggs with the egg yolks and lemon juice in a heatproof bowl. Hang this bowl over a pan of boiling water ( the bowl should not touch the water).
- Cook while stirring until the mixture thickens and then remove from the heat. Add the butter, piece by piece, while stirring. Add the next piece of butter only when the 1st one is incorporated.
- Strain the curd and put a plastic film on the curd so you do not get skin forming. Put in the fridge until use.
- Cook while stirring until the mixture thickens and then remove from the heat.
- Add the butter, piece by piece, while stirring. Put the next piece of butter in only when the 1st one is included.
- Strain the curd and put a plastic film on the curd so you do not get skin forming.
- Put in the fridge until use.
- Preheat oven to 355 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius). Put paper cups in the tin.
- In a bowl mix the salt, baking powder, and flour with a fork.
- In a second bowl add the butter and sugar.
- Mix at high speed for 3 minutes, until the butter is fluffy and pale yellow.
- Add the eggs while continuing to mix, add the next egg when the first one is incorporated into the batter.
- Also, add the vanilla extract.
- Turn the mixer on the lowest speed.
- Add about ⅓ of the flour to the butter mixture. Mix until it is incorporated and then add half of the buttermilk.
- Add another ⅓ of the flour mixture, mix well again.
- Pour in the rest of the buttermilk and lemon juice while continuing to mix.
- Finish with the flour mixture. Mix until the flour is just incorporated.
- Divide the batter over the cupcake forms (about ¾ full) and put it in the oven.
- Bake about 20 minutes until the cupcakes are golden brown.
- Allow cooling to room temperature.
- Put 1⅓ cup (300 grams) of sugar, honey, and water in a small saucepan.
- Put a sugar thermometer in the pan and heat until the thermometer reaches 230 degrees Fahrenheit ( 110 degrees Celsius).
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg whites until stiff. When these start to become stiff, add the remaining sugar.
- When the sugar solution reaches the desired temperature you remove the pan from the heat and pour the sugar mixture down the side of the wall and while continuing to mix the sugar solution in the egg white.
- Continue mixing on medium-high speed until the bowl has cooled to room temperature.
Prepare the cupcakes!
- Spread 1 tablespoon of lemon curd on top of the cupcake.
- Fill a pastry bag with the meringue mixture and make a meringue tower on the cupcake.
- Grab a kitchen torch and keep it at about 10 cm from the meringue. Burn the meringue slightly brown.
- Serve immediately!