This is my version of the BEST Strawberry Filled Cupcakes. A cupcake with an intense strawberry flavor. It’s an airy, soft, and moist vanilla cupcake filled with (homemade) strawberry jam and then frosted with a heavy cream topping.
Strawberry Filled Cupcakes
Delicious, lovely spring kisses, that’s what those juicy red strawberries are. Sweet and tasty, and when in the season, I always get the feeling of eating many of them. And this time, I used them as a filling in a cupcake.
I choose to make a light, egg white-based batter for the cupcakes. That way, they get a light texture. This is an excellent combination with the dense strawberry jam, which we use as a filling.
I used sugary heavy cream as a topping, which you pipe on top. A slice of strawberries completes this delicious sweet baking treat.
These cupcakes are deliciously served for Valentine’s Day, spring, or summer picnics. Or as a treat at a birthday party.
What do you need for Strawberry Cupcakes with Whipped Cream?
To prepare these strawberry filled cupcakes, you need the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
- Baking powder - Used to get some extra air in these cupcakes. Unfortunately, because the batter contains no acid, you can’t substitute it with baking soda.
- Flour - Use all-purpose flour for this recipe.
- Butter - Unsalted butter is used. If you use salted butter, decrease the amount of salt to ¼ teaspoon.
- Sugar - Use sugar to sweeten your cupcake and whipped cream. TIP: for a more intense strawberry flavor. Sweeten the whipped cream with three tablespoons of strawberry jam. And skip the sugar.
- Strawberry Jam - The filling of the strawberry filled cupcake. You could use a homemade strawberry jam or buy a good strawberry jam in the supermarket. If you want to vary, you could think of other delicious combinations. For example, try plum jam cupcakes in the warm late summer. In spring, bake rhubarb jam cupcakes and hot apple jelly cupcakes in winter. And you could use diced strawberries as a filling.
- Eggs - You split the eggs into egg whites and egg yolks for this recipe. The egg yolks will make the batter creamy. The egg whites are stiffened and bring in some extra air. Make sure there is NO egg yolk in your egg whites (not even the slightest bit). Otherwise, your egg whites won’t stiffen.
- Milk - To make the batter a bit more fluid. Use whole milk for this recipe.
- Cream - Take heavy cream and beat, with some sugar, until stiff. Use a piping bag to decorate the cupcakes. Make sure, before whipping, that your cream is very cold. That way, it will stiffen better. If you instead want to top them with frosting, use this Mascarpone frosting recipe or cream cheese frosting recipe.
How to prepare Strawberry Jam Filled Cupcakes
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. In a second bowl, mix butter and sugar for three minutes. Then put the egg yolks into the bowl and mix. Add flour and milk to the batter and mix on low speed until the flour is just incorporated.
- Mix the egg whites stiff in a clean bowl. Make sure the bowl and mixing hooks are very clean because if there is any fat left, the whites won’t stiffen. Add the egg whites to the batter and stir together. First, add only ⅓th of the egg whites and mix. That way, the batter and egg whites will get used to each other. Then add the remaining egg white and stir gently into the batter,
- Fill the forms with two tablespoons of batter. That’s about ⅔ of the way. If you fill any further, they will overflow in the oven! Take a teaspoon and make a hole in the middle of the cupcake. Fill that hole with a teaspoon of strawberry jam. Bake for 30 minutes at 320 °F (160 °C).
- Let the cupcakes cool down on a rack to room temperature. Prepare the whipping cream by mixing cream and sugar until stiff. Don’t add the frosting when warm (even a bit). The frosting will drip off the cupcakes. Pipe the frosting on top of the cupcakes. If you don’t have a piping bag, you could use an ice cream scoop to spoon frosting on top.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Strawberry Filled Cupcakes
Use the buttons to adjust the number of people.
Strawberry Filled Cupcake
- 3¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks butter unsalted, room temperature
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 4 eggs separated in egg whites and egg yolks, size L
- ½ cup milk
Heavy Cream Topping
- 1 cup cream cold
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 6 strawberries garnish, halved
Strawberry Filled Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 320 °F (160 °C).
- Put the paper cupcake molds into the baking tin.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in the first bowl and mix with a fork until well blended.3¼ cup all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt
- Mix in a second bowl the butter and sugar on high speed for 3 minutes with a mixer.2 sticks butter, 1 ½ cup sugar
- Then add the egg yolks one at a time (add the next yolk when the previous one is incorporated).4 eggs
- Divide the flour mixture into three equal parts. And add one part of flour to the butter mixture and mix on low speed until just blended.
- Add half of the milk, and then repeat the mixing.½ cup milk
- Next, add another ⅓ of the flour, mix, add the remaining milk, mix, and finally, the remaining part of the flour.
- Stir well until the flour is fully incorporated.
- Finally, whisk the egg whites until they are stiff in a clean bowl.4 eggs
- Scoop ⅓ of the egg white into the batter and mix with a spatula until combined.
- Then add the rest of the egg whites, and again with a spatula, stir the batter gently.
- Spoon the batter into each baking paper. Fill the forms with two tablespoons of batter.
- Repeat until al the batter is fully used.
- Grab a teaspoon and make a hole in the batter.
- Fill the hole with one teaspoon of strawberry jam. Repeat for all cupcakes.12 teaspoons strawberry jam
- Put in the oven and bake for 30 minutes for large cupcakes. Remove the cupcakes from the molds and let cool on a rack.
- Garnish for example with a slice of strawberry and a dollop of whipped cream.
Heavy Cream Topping
- Put the cream and sugar in a bowl and mix on high speed until the cream is stiff.
- Pipe the cream on top with a piping bag or use an ice cream scoop to add some.1 cup cream, 3 tablespoons sugar
- Garnish with a half strawberry.6 strawberries
- Move the pan. When the cupcakes jiggle, they’re not done yet.
- Press the center of a cupcake with your finger. If the print pops back immediately, the cupcake is done. If an indentation is left, they need to bake a bit longer.
- Prick a toothpick in the center of a cupcake. If it comes out clean and dry, the cupcakes are done.
- Refrigerator - Cupcakes without topping: Wrap the cupcakes in plastic foil or store them in an airtight container for three days.
- Freezer - Cupcakes without topping: you can freeze the cupcakes. First, wrap them in aluminum foil and put everything in a sack or airtight container. This way, you can store them for up to two months.
- Strawberry cupcakes with whipped cream topping: When the heavy cream topping is piped on top of the cupcakes, you can’t store them well. You can keep them for a few hours in the refrigerator.