Making meatloaf with sausage is very easy and very tasty. And that is why this typical American dish is now slowly conquering the whole world. This meatloaf is creamy, tasteful, and has a delicious red currant jelly glaze. The recipe is delicious right down to the last slice.
Meatloaf with Sausage
Meatloaf, I have a love-hate relationship with it. I've seen it many times on TV in programs where it was made, and then I tried to make it according to the recipe and… It just wasn't great.
I've never eaten a good meatloaf until today. This recipe from Matt Preston is excellent. He described it in his latest book: Matt Preston's Cookbook, 187 Recipes That Are Guaranteed to Make You Popular. That is a title with which you create high expectations. And I can certainly agree that this recipe is meeting them. Try it yourself!
And this meatloaf with delicious orange Port Sauce is adapted from a recipe from this book.
Master Chef Australia
I was already hooked to MasterChef Australia, where he also made this dish and everyone said it was such a great and delicious meatloaf. So when I got the book in hands, this was the recipe that I ever wanted to try out. And he made it happen. This dish was really so delicious. This is a recipe in our household that I will make a lot of times in the near future.
What do you need for Beef and Sausage Meatloaf?
To prepare this meatloaf with sausage, you need the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
- Ground Beef - Ground beef has a delicious taste and bite. You can also opt for half ground pork and half ground beef.
- Sausage - You need a bit more fatty meat to get the meatloaf creamy. Sausage is very suitable for this. Cut open one side of the sausage and press the flesh out.
- Red Onion and Garlic - Adds extra flavor to the meatloaf.
- Oatmeal - Filling for the meatloaf. It ensures that it becomes creamy, binds and that you need less meat (without noticing it).
- Egg - Binds the meatloaf so that it holds its shape.
- Milk - Milk provides a creamy, full taste.
- Port - Enhanced sweet red wine. Gives a sweetness and a lot of flavor to the sauce.
- Orange - The sour element in the sauce. This gives you a balanced sauce (and not too sweet).
- Red currant jam - A sweet and sour jam with a fruity taste. Raspberry jam is also a good option.
- Red wine vinegar - A sour flavor for the sauce. You can also use white wine vinegar.
- Mustard - The 'secret' ingredient in this sauce. It gives just that little spice that makes this sauce even more delicious.
How to prepare the best Glazed Sheetpan Meatloaf
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog.
- Remove the meat from the sausage by slicing (or cutting) it open at one side and squeezing the flesh out. Place the sausage meat and the rest of the meatloaf ingredients in the bowl. Knead the meat, but not too long. Kneading too long will make the meat sticky, and the meatloaf becomes very compact.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and form the meatloaf on top. Wetten your hands; that way, the meat sticks less. Bake the meatloaf for 30 minutes in a preheated oven at 350 °F (180 °C).
- Pour the Port into a pan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Then add the rest of the sauce ingredients. Let that boil for six minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Divide the sauce into two portions.
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven and glaze with one of the portions of Port Orange sauce. Return to the oven and bake the meatloaf.
- After 30 minutes, take it out of the oven and check the core temperature with a meat thermometer. When it indicates 150 °F (65 °C), the meat is done and can be removed from the oven. Otherwise, you've got to extend the baking time by 5 minutes and check again. Repeat this until the meat is done.
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven, wrap it in aluminum foil, and rest for 5 minutes. Heat the second portion of sauce, add some more orange, and grate. Cut the meatloaf into slices and serve with the sauce.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Meatloaf with Sausage
Use the buttons to adjust the number of people.
- 1.1 lb ground beef
- 1.1 lb. sausage
- ½ red onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic squeezed
- 1 egg size L
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup milk
Redcurrant, orange and Port sauce
- 1 orange peel sliced into long thin strips and the juice of 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C)
- Grab a tray and wrap it in foil and then with baking paper.
- Mix the two types of meat, onion, garlic, oatmeal, and egg, in a bowl.1.1 lb ground beef, 1.1 lb. sausage, ½ red onion, 3 cloves garlic, ½ cup oatmeal, 1 egg
- Knead with your hands until well blended.
- Add salt and pepper, mix again and pour the milk a little at a time as you knead in between.¼ teaspoon salt, ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper, 1 cup milk
- Grab the meat and place it on the baking sheet. Shape, with wet hands, a loaf of ground meat.
- Put the meatloaf for 30 minutes in the oven.
Redcurrant, orange, and Port sauce
- Insert the port wine into a saucepan to boil.½ cup Port wine
- Simmer for 10 minutes on low heat, so the port wine is reduced to about 3 tablespoons.
- Add the red currant jelly, half of the orange juice, mustard, and red wine vinegar.1 orange, ⅓ cup red currant jam, 1 teaspoon mustard, 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Allow simmering for about six more minutes.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat.
- Divide the sauce into two portions: the first portion is used to glaze the meat, and the second portion is served with the meatloaf.
- Remove after 30 minutes the meat from the oven and brush it with the sauce used for glazing. Put back in the oven and bake for a further 30 minutes.
- Repeat the glazing with the sauce and bake the meatloaf until it is done (if you have a meat thermometer, the meat should be 150 °F (65 °C) on the inside).
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven, wrap it in aluminum foil and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, heat the other batch of sauce.
- Add the rest of the orange juice and the skins to the sauce and serve the hot sauce with the meat.
- Cut the meat and serve immediately.
- Refrigerator - Let the meatloaf cool. Then, cover the meatloaf and store it in the fridge for up to 3 days. The sauce can also be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freezer - Wrap the bread in 2 layers of aluminum foil and freeze. This keeps it good for up to a month. Let thaw at room temperature. Pour the cooled sauce into a freezer box. This keeps it good for up to a month
- Reheat - Meatloaf can be eaten hot or cold. If you want to heat it, put it in an oven dish and cover it with aluminum foil. Heat at 350 °F (180 °C) for 25 minutes, or until the inside of the meatloaf is warm. You can heat the sauce over low heat. Add some water if the sauce gets too thick.