Baking your own bread isn't difficult. Especially this recipe for orange rolls with walnuts is quite easy. With a hint of orange and a crunchy bite.
Do you know what my favorite Sunday breakfast feels like? When I’ve got a great homemade smell of bread through my house. So that’s what I’m doing a lot of my own bread baking at Saturday (and warm it up on Sunday, yeah I know I cheat a bit, but that’s for the greater good). When they're hot I smear a layer of butter on my roll and top it with a thick slice of cheese and cress. I simply love that.
Accompanied with a nice glass of freshly squeezed orange juice and as a dessert a cup of coffee. Sunday’s is our free day and I love to enjoy a long and lazy breakfast.
Usually I also bake a special (sweet) bread: a croissant, homemade sausage rolls, cinnamon sugar sandwiches (very special and look so beautiful) or nutella twist bread. All fine. But variation is great and so are these orange rolls with walnuts.
It's a good taste!
Recipe orange rolls with
Orange buns with walnuts
Use the buttons to adjust the number of people.
- 2 oranges
- 1½ teaspoon yeast
- 360 grams all-purpose flour
- 50 grams butter melted and cooled
- 3 grams salt
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme dried
- 75 grams walnuts chopped coarsely
- Squeeze the oranges and collect the juice.
- Add water until you've got 150 ml.
- Mix the flour with the yeast, the orange juice and the melted butter and knead well.
- Sprinkle the salt and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes).
- Sprinkle the thyme, oregano and walnuts over the dough and knead some more until the dough and all the ingredients are well mixed.
- Put the dough in a greased dish and cover with a damp cloth, which you then cover with plastic foil.
- Put in a warm place for 1 hour so that the dough can rise (and double in size).
- Remove the dough from the bowl and push out the air.
- Form 8 buns of the dough and lay them under a damp cloth for 20 minutes.
- Stretch the bunch again, and let them rise for 30 - 45 minutes under a damp cloth in a warm place until they're doubled in size.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 225 degrees Celsius.
- Remove the damp cloth and place the baking tray in the oven
- Bake the rolls for 15 minutes until golden and brown.