Tasty crispy Papa Rellena. They are large, juicy, and filled with seasoned ground beef with delicious flavors. You can find this traditional recipe from Peruvian cuisine on every street side and now you can easily make them yourself. A delicious fast food recipe.
What could be more fun than to take a look in another world kitchen? And today that is Peru's cuisine. I made a papa rellena recipe, which literally means stuffed potato. These snacks can be stuffed with cheese, Picadillo, or meat. And this time the potatoes are filled with a delicious seasoned minced beef mixture.
It is a recipe that is extremely popular in Latin America and each region has its own variants. Vegetarian, filled with meat or cheese. It is street food and if you come across it, be sure to try it because they are very tasty. And otherwise you can easily make them yourself with this recipe.
Papa Rellena, delicious comfort food. A crispy mashed potato ball filled with flavored beef. This Peruvian snack is a real crowd-pleasure.
A full list of ingredients can be found at the end of this blog.
- Ground beef - In this recipe, we use ground beef. But you can also use half beef half pork, ground chicken, or vegetarian mince (like Quorn).
- Potatoes - Use floury potatoes to make this recipe. Russet, Doré, King Edward, and Maris Piper are great choices.
- White wine - For flavoring the filling. Use a dry white wine such as Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc. There are even Sauvignon blanc wines from Peru available.
A recipe that can be printed can be found at the bottom of this blog in the recipe card.
Step 1 - Preparing the mashed potatoes
- Bring a pan of water to a boil. Peel and wash the potatoes and cut them into pieces of the same size (this way they are done at the same time). Boil the potatoes in the water for 20 minutes until tender. You can check this by pricking it with a fork. If the fork goes in easily, the potato is done. Drain the potatoes.
- Let the potatoes cool to room temperature. Mash them finely with a potato masher or squeezer. Not with a mixer, you will get a glue-like substance.
- Add the egg, salt, and pepper to the potatoes.
- Knead the potato mixture until you get a dough.
Step 2 - Fry the minced beef filling
- Pour oil into the pan and fry the onion on medium heat for three minutes until translucent. Add garlic and pepper and stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Put the minced meat in the frying pan with the onion and garlic and loose until brown.
- Add the raisins, cumin, and paprika and mix well. Pour in the wine, now turn off the heat
- Peel the hard-boiled eggs and cut them into small pieces. Stir it into the minced meat mixture. Let cool to room temperature.
Step 3 - Form the potato balls
- Put some beef filling in your hand.
- Grab some mashed potatoes and fold it around the minced meat mixture.
- Continue until the filling is covered with the potato mixture. Roll between your hands a few times until you have a ball.
- Repeat for the rest of the filling.
Step 4 - Prepare the crispy outside
- Prepare three bowls. In the first bowl, mix flour with cayenne pepper. In the second bowl, you put a beaten egg. Fill the third bowl with breadcrumbs.
- First, pass each ball through the flour and cover all sides.
- Then roll the balls through the egg.
- And cover all sides with breadcrumbs.
Step 5 - Deep fry the Papas Rellenas until done
- Preheat the deep fryer to 375 °F (190 °C) and place the balls in the frying basket. If you don't have a deep fryer, you can heat the sunflower oil in a large pot on high heat until it's very hot and fry the balls in the oil.
- Fry for three minutes and then turn the balls upside down. Fry for another three minutes. They are then golden brown. Serve.
Yes, you can. Warm them up in the microwave or warm them up in a preheated oven at 390 °F (200 °C) for 10 minutes.
🥘 Other delicious recipes
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I really enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Pas met de knoppen het aantal personen aan.
- 2.2 lb potatoes
- 1 egg size L
For the filling
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 9 oz. minced beef
- 3 eggs size L, boiled
- 1 onion finely diced
- 3 oz. raisins soaked in 1 cup (240 ml) boiling water for 10 minutes, then minced
- 1 pepper finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced or passed through a press
- 1 teaspoon cumin ground
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika ground
- ¼ cup white wine water or beef stock for deglazing
- ⅓ teaspoon salt to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg size L, beaten
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- sunflower oil for frying
- Boil the potatoes until they pierce easily with a fork. Remove them from the water and cool.
- Once the potatoes are cooled, peel them and mash them with a potato masher or force them through a potato ricer (preferred).
- Add egg, salt, and pepper and knead “dough” thoroughly to ensure that ingredients are well combined and uniformly distributed.
- While the potatoes cool down before finishing the dough, you can make the filling:
- Gently brown onion and garlic in oil (about 5 minutes).
- Add the pepper and sauté for a couple more minutes.
- Add ground beef and brown. Add raisins, cumin, and paprika and cook briefly (a few seconds).
- Deglaze the pan with white wine.
- Add hard-boiled eggs and fold in off heat to allow the filling to cool before forming “papas.”
Prepare Papas Rellena
- Spoon a generous amount of filling into the center and then roll the potato closed, forming a smooth, potato-shaped casing around the filling.
- Repeat with all dough (you should have about 6 papas).
- Use three small bowls to prepare the papas. In one, combine flour, cayenne, and salt. In the second, a beaten egg with a tiny bit of water. Put bread crumbs in the third.
- Dip each papa in the three bowls to coat: first roll in flour, then dip in egg, then roll in bread crumbs.
- Heat the deep fryer to 375 °F (190 °C).
- Fry the papas (in batches if necessary) for about 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Flip once in the middle of frying to brown both sides. Drain on a paper towel.
Minced beef - Instead of ground beef, you can also use half pork and half ground beef or ground chicken. If you want to make this recipe without meat, choose vegetarian mince, like Quorn. 4.- Storing
Refrigerator - Keep them covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. If they are still un-fried, you can do that for 3 minutes on both sides at 375 °F (190 °C). Is your Papa Rellena already baked? Then heat them for 10 minutes in a preheated oven at 390 °F (200 °C).
Freezer - Store the Papas Rellenas in a freezer bag (one piece in each bag) and keep it in the freezer for a maximum of 3 months. You can fry them directly from the freezer. Then extend the frying time by 3 minutes. 5.- Nutrition This recipe is enough for 6 people. The nutritional values are shown per person.