This delicious dish is easy to prepare. Creamy endive with cheese flavor. A nice layer of sweet minced beef topped with sliced roast potatoes. Sprinkled with some bacon topping and more cheese. A delicious combination.
The endive is in season. We often eat it as a raw endive hotchpot. Nice of course, but when I was surfing across the internet I was inspired to make a casserole. Of course I had to try it out (and adapt it to my own taste). The casserole was delicious. A nice layer of creamy andive with cheese flavor, the second layer sweet minced meat topped with sliced potatoes. On top bacon and even more cheese were sprinkled. A delicious combination that we will definitely eat more often!
- You boil the potatoes just for 10 minutes, they are al dente. This is important because in the oven they will cook further. But by giving them a head start they get a crispy crust and a soft inside.
- you've limited time, you can prepare this day the day before dinner. That way you'll just have to bake it in the oven.
- You add bacon, you don't have to add salt while cooking potatoes.
- Substitute the meatloaf with vegetarian meatloaf and the bacon with sun-dried tomato slices if you want to prepare a vegetarian dish.
- Substitute the endive with kale, for another delicious casserole version
- Substitute minced beef with 300 grams half minced beef, half minced pork
- Substitute fresh endive with endive in cream from the freezer. Therefor you don't have to add crème fraîche to this recipe and you only need 2 eggs. You don't have to stew the endive only let it thaw (so less preparation time)
- Bacon is optional. If you're not going to use them add 1 teaspoon of salt to the water in which you're going to boil the potatoes.
This budget friendly version will cost about €1.70 per person.
- Prepare the casserole but don't bake it in the oven yet. Cover it with foil and store it up to 2 days in the refrigerator.
- Don't freeze this casserole. The structure will change and that's not very delicious.
- If you like this recipe, you probably will also want to try this minced beef casserole (with a food recipe video). You can find both via this link
- Roasted vegetable casserole
- Macaroni casserole
- Chicken broccoli casserole
It's a good taste!
- convectional oven or conventional oven (in that case increase the temperature indicated in the recipe by 20 degrees Celsius)
- oven dish
- 1 kg potatoes
- 1 endive
- 500 grams ground beef
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce sweet
- 250 ml crème fraîche
- 100 grams cheese grated
- 4 eggs size L
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 250 grams sliced bacon
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
- Slice the endive very small and wash it very well.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into slices.
- Boil the potatoes 10 minutes in boiling water until they are done.
- Drain and let slightly cool.
- Mix the meat with the soy sauce.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan and fry the minced beef.
- Remove the meat from the pan and keep aside.
- Put the endive in the hot frying pan (with some water ) and stir briefly.
- Then put the lid on the pan and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix in a bowl the creme fraiche, 4 eggs and ¾ of the grated cheese.
- Remove the endive from the heat and stir in the creme fraiche mixture.
- In the baking dish put the endive as the first layer.
- Spread the meat on top of the endive.
- Cover it with the slices potato.
- Sprinkle with the bacon and remaining cheese.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake for 35 minutes.
What did I use to prepare this
Kitchen utensils I’ve used to prepare this recipe. When you follow the link you will go to another page with a short explanation of each item. It’s also possible to order directly if you’re in need.