This delicious escarole gratin with potato and bacon is a Dutch dish served as a main. It’s an escarole bake with a creamy cheese sauce, flavorful ground beef, and topped with a cheesy potato gratin and bacon. It’s baked in the oven until the cheese is melted and golden. The casserole is easy to prepare—a real comfort winter evening casserole.
Escarole Gratin with Potato and Bacon
Escarole is in season. We often eat it as a raw Dutch andijviestamppot (escarole stew). And that’s a family favorite around here, but when I was surfing the internet, I was inspired to make a casserole. Of course, I had to try it out (and adapt it to my taste).
Three Different Layers
The escarole gratin was delicious—a nice layer of creamy cheesy escarole, the second layer of ground beef topped with sliced potatoes.
On top of bacon and even more, sprinkled cheese. A delicious combination that we will definitely eat more often!
What do you need for this gratin of Escarole Potato Bake?
To prepare this Escarole Gratin with Potato and Bacon, you need the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
- Potatoes - Use floury potatoes to make this recipe. Russet, Doré, King Edward, and Maris Piper are great choices. You boil the potatoes for 10 minutes, so they are half done. This is important because, in the oven, they will cook further. But by giving them a head start, they get a crispy crust and a soft inside.
- Escarole (or Endive) - A green leaf vegetable, a chicory family member. It looks like a salad green, but the flavor is more spicy and sharp. You could eat it raw, slightly cooked, or fully cooked like this endive casserole. You can substitute the escarole with kale if you like.
- Ground Beef (minced beef) - Is used in this recipe. But you can also use ground pork or ground chicken. Make sure you use natural (unseasoned) ground meat.
- Kecap Manis - A sweet Indonesian Soy Sauce. It’s sweet, dark color and adds a soy sauce flavor; if you don’t have it, replace it with one tablespoon of all-purpose soy sauce and two teaspoons of brown sugar.
- Sour cream - To give the sauce more body
- Cheese - Use a flavorful cheese that melts well. Grated Gouda would be my first choice, but Cheddar would do well. If you want to have a fuller cheese flavor use Emmentaler or Gruyère
- Eggs - To bind the sauce
- Oil - A vegetable oil will do
How to prepare Escarole Potato Bake
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog.
- Mix the sour cream, eggs, and ¾ of the grated cheese in a bowl.
- Slice the escarole thinly and wash. Put the endive in a hot skillet with adjacent water and stir. Put a lid on the frying pan and let simmer for 5 minutes. Mix with the sour cream cheese mixture and add to the oven dish.
- Mix the meat with the soy sauce and fry in a skillet until brown. Add a second layer to the casserole dish.
- Peel and slice the potatoes thinly. Cook them for 10 minutes in boiling water. Drain. Spread them over the ground beef layer. Sprinkle bacon and remaining cheese on top and bake for 35 minutes at 430 °F (220 °C).
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Watch How to Make It
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Escarole Gratin with Potato and Bacon
- 2.2 lbs potatoes peeled, washed, cut into ¼ inch (0.5 cm) slices
- 1.1 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 eggs size L
- 9 oz. bacon sliced in strips
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Preheat the oven to 430 °F (220 °C).
- Boil the potatoes for 10 minutes in boiling water.2.2 lbs potatoes
- Drain and let slightly cool.
- Mix the ground beef with the Kecap Manis.1.1 lbs ground beef, 3 tablespoons Kecap Manis
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet and fry the ground beef until brown and done.1 tablespoon oil
- Remove the meat from the pan and keep it aside.
- Put the escarole in the hot frying pan (with adjacent water) and stir briefly.1.1 lbs escarole
- Then put the lid on the pan and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the sour cream, 4 eggs, and ¾ of the grated cheese in a bowl.1 cup sour cream, 4 eggs, 3½ oz. cheese
- Remove the endive from the heat and stir in the sour cream mixture.
- In the baking dish, put the escarole mixture as the first layer. Flatten with the back of a spoon.
- Spread the beef on top of the endive layer.
- Cover it with slices of potato.
- Sprinkle with the bacon and remaining cheese.9 oz. bacon
- Place the dish in the oven and bake for 35 minutes.
- Refrigerator, unbaked - Prepare the casserole, but don’t bake it in the oven yet. Cover it with foil and store it for up to 2 days in the refrigerator.
- Refrigerator, baked - Let it cool quick and cover with foil. Store it for two days in the fridge.
- Freezer - Don’t freeze this casserole. The structure of the potatoes will change, and that’s not very delicious.
- Reheat - Cover the oven dish with aluminum foil and reheat for 25 minutes at 350 °F (180 °C)
Leave a Reply